Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Drivability issues with Injen?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Drivability issues with Injen?

Get a refund on the Injen CAI. Besides the "jerks/hick-ups" some people experience during accelerating, it will stall if you are going about 85MPH+ and put it in neutral. Of course you can always pop it back into gear, but it is quiet dangerous when you are going around a curve and your G stalls along with the powersteering going out, it is just an accident waiting to happen. One of my friend just crashed her 2 weeks old 6MT G coupe with Injen CAI due to the G stalling and she was unable to steer the car, and wraped it around a telephone pole. Last time I heard she is going through an attorney and taking Injen to court. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else...

Old 07-25-2003, 06:49 PM

Was this a 6MT coupe??

Was it the Injen RD1992 intake??

Injen now makes 2 seperate intakes based on the transmission you have on your G...
A/T (RD1990)
M/T (RD1992)

2003.5 Infiniti G35 Sports Coupe 6mt
Caribbean Blue w/Graphite Leather
Premium/Navigation/Aero
Hardwired Valentine 1 Radar Detector
K&N Filter
Insaneamine's Earthing Kit

Old 07-27-2003, 04:31 PM

I have the original RD 1990 CAI, and I've had no problems with mine at all. I've shifted into neutral at 100+mph and never stalled out (knock on wood). I've never even had a hiccup from the car. It just runs fine and doesn't complain. Of course now I've probably just cursed myself, darn it! I should've just kept my mouth shut.

<font color=blue>2003 Caribbean Blue Coupe
6MT Prem, Aero, Nav.</font color=blue>[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2003, 05:50 AM

I love my INJEN too, I never stalled driving up to 110 mph, must be the driver.

Old 07-29-2003, 10:29 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the original Injen intake, love it. Never any problems, no stalling, no idle issues no matter the speed I might dump the clutch. It behave's with the quality as if it was a OEM performance part.

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
350Z springs&struts
Crawford intake pleneum comming

Old 07-29-2003, 11:45 AM

<font color=red>PROBLEM ONLY APPLY TO THE G-COUPE 6MT MODEL</font color=red>

Old 07-29-2003, 05:38 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

PROBLEM ONLY APPLY TO THE G-COUPE 6MT MODEL

<hr></blockquote>
Mines a 6MT and so are the other two guys that replied after me. Maybe that's the main problem for people. They are not resetting the ECU after install. I know that after I installed both my intake and my exhaust, I reset the ECU. I actually reset it overnight just to be on the safe side. I don't know, I just know that I haven't had any stalling problems at all with mine.

<font color=blue>2003 Caribbean Blue Coupe
6MT Prem, Aero, Nav.</font color=blue>[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2003, 12:32 AM

Gonna go Forced INduction later this fall....so no intake for me untyil this happens.

"Use the Forced Induction Luke!"
-Jedi
2003 G35C, 6MT, Navi, Black Obsidian/Graphite

Old 07-31-2003, 01:29 AM

Sorry for the long post guys, but I want to be as detailed about this as possible and welcome any suggestions you have...

I just received my Injen RD1992p intake today (Powdercoated Blue to match my CB coupe) direct from Injen for my 2003.5 G35 Coupe 6mt. So I'm pretty confident it's their latest and greatest version of the intake for the G35 Coupe. I've got 1900 miles on my G and it's 4 weeks old with the only engine mod to date is the 5-wire grounding kit.

I installed the intake (took about 3 hours) and the whole time had the battery disconnected and after I was done, I did the ECU reset as well and took it out for a spin and have the following comments...

1) I LOVE the new sound my car makes now. You can hear the difference of a much more throaty sound right at idle. It pretty much stays subtle all the way up to 4000rpm, then It almost sounds and feels like a turbo kicking in. You can hear the wind whirling and it was the first time I felt pinned to the seat...needless to say, I'm very happy with the intake at this point...

2) Now time for the test that everyone's been wanting to know...if it will be stalling out at 80+mph like others have posted. The answer...it DID!!! I took it up to 80, then held the clutch in until it the RPM dropped below 1000 when it died. At the time, I had the windows down to hear the intake and didn't even notice the car had died because of the amount of wind. I popped it back in gear and got it going again, very disappointed. I tried this once again doing 90mph and the same thing happened as I was slowing down for a turn, shifting back to neutral. I had to quickly get it back in gear to get it going again before having to make the turn, but this definitely made me realize that this could happen at anytime and could lead to a bad situation if given the right circumstances.

I just called up Injen and left a message with their Tech Support and will be giving them a call in the morning to see where do we go from here, so I'll post what happens. I followed their directions exactly and the only thing I can think of is since the directions call to remove the foam padding to make room for the filter (I followed Injen's directions exactly to remove the entire foam padding) is that there is probably too much air getting to the filter and possibly the fix for this is to follow the same thing that I saw posted previously (apologize for not having the name to give them credit for the post) to not take out the entire foam padding in the bumper, but only cut out a portion of it so the wind doesn't hit the filter directly. I'd figure to give Injen a chance to come up with a solution on their own before doing anything in case they need me to test other things first.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon, but this sure proves to me that Injen still has a problem with their intake for the coupe 6mts. I'll post updates once I have one.

2003.5 Infiniti G35C 6mt
Caribbean Blue w/Graphite Leather
Premium/Navigation/Aero
Hardwired Valentine 1 Radar Detector
Aluminum Pedals
Insaneamine's Earthing Kit
Injen CAI Intake (coming)

Old 07-31-2003, 02:44 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm the one that did not believe removing that entire foam block or assciated plastic panel next to it was a logical thing to do. As the pic below show's I used a X-acto knife to slice off a small part of the foam block to get the air flow I needed, without exposing the filter to wind driven rain. And it would seam that my choice has prevented me from having problems.

http://pics.montypics.com/Gcoupe35/2..._foam1_11A.jpg

I have the original intake, I never bothered to get the updated one. I have never ever had a spec of trouble in any way shape or form. No matter at what speed I might dump the clutch. Their have been plenty of times I've dumped the clutch while at triple didgit speeds, still the car has never stalled or given any indication that it's not running correctly.

Sidenote: I recently felt the need to close off the space where the intake ducks into the fender well. I wanted to eliminate any chance that hot underhood air might go down to the intake.

http://www.montypics.com/pic.php?url...j2330_R1_3.jpg

So I bought a block of 4" foam and cut chunks of it off and plugged area off.
http://www.montypics.com/pic.php?url...2330_R1_14.jpg

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
350Z springs&struts
Crawford intake pleneum coming

Old 07-31-2003, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the info Gsedan35.

I did do some more testing today after talking to Injen. They told me to do the reset ECU once again, then let the engine run for 10-15 mins before taking it out again. I did that and noticed the idle all around the place for the first 5 mins...from 3000 down to 400. It finally settled around 800 before I took it out around 10 mins later. I did a couple more runs at 80+mph before putting it in neutral and noticed it dropped from about 3500rpm down to about 900 and stayed there. I did this again at 95mph and same thing occurred, so I figured it's fixed, but now found the kicker...I turned the A/C off and tried it again at 85mph and it did die once again. So supposedly, adding the load on the engine from the A/C is enough for it to not slip under.

I've been working with Paul Ho from Injen (Lead R&D Engineer) and will post any further findings/suggestions. I've told him about your suggestion about only removing a portion of the foam padding from the bumper and that may be the next thing we try to see if it will cut down the amount of wind enough so it won't die without the A/C running...I am satisfied so far with Injen in taking this matter seriously enough so that we can find out a solution as quickly as possible.

'03.5 6MT Coupe | Caribbean Blue w/ Graphite | Prem. | Nav. | Aero |Hardwired V1 | Alum. Pedals | Injen CAI | Insaneanime's Grounding Kit | 15% tint all around

Old 08-01-2003, 01:33 PM

***Update***

Spoke with Paul Ho from Injen again and he told me that I am only the 2nd person to ever have reported a problem with the intake for the G35 6mt (Coupe or Sedan/new intake or old intake). If this is true, why is it that there have been so many threads about this??

Anyways, for my case, he will be sending me a prototype filter element that will be able to limit the amount of air passing through it at high speeds (over 75mph). Once I receive the filter and test it, I'll pass on the results.

'03.5 6MT Coupe | Caribbean Blue w/ Graphite | Prem. | Nav. | Aero |Hardwired V1 | Alum. Pedals | Injen CAI | Insaneanime's Grounding Kit | 15% tint all around

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drivability issues with Injen?