Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Pics of my crawford pleneum w/the engine cover on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Pics of my crawford pleneum w/the engine cover on

Ok, I'm doing this to show anyone thinking about the Crawford pleneum that says to themselves, "Yeah but I have to be able to put the engine cover back on. You can, but you need to see my pics to understand how the tallness of the crawford creates a couple of problems. I'll even show you how to overcome one of the problems.

Ok, first 2 pics. Look how their's a gap around the oil fill cap, see the daylight around it?

Here's the solution. Buy a short piece of 3" black pvc pipe and cut a 3/4" sliver off. With a dremel (or whatever you can) put a slope in it, least a 1/8". When your done you will have a snug compression fit that needs no glue. It's held in place by the engine cover pressing it into the rubber collar surrounding the oil fill cap. You'll want to paint it a satin black to make it blend with everything else. I didn't paint this part yet in the pics.

Here's what it spacer looks like in place

Ok, here's the other issue I just noticed. With the engine cover being higher, it does touch insulation mat that's on the hood. Only reason I know was because I notice how their was because I noticed what looked like dust on the engine cover. I brushed it off and looked up at the insulation mat on the hood and sure enough their was a slight mark their to. I have made no attempt to fix this. I bring it up cause it may cause a more noticeable mark on both area. I'll show pics and let you be the judge

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
350Z springs&struts

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by Gsedan35 on 08/11/03 02:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Pics of my crawford pleneum w/the engine cover on

better hope every time you rev the engine it doesnt hit the hood mat.

Old 08-11-2003, 03:38 PM

Did anyone notice that he installed his CAI wrong. You need to have your MAF Plug facing up. For some reason when I called Injen about the problems that I was having that was the first thing they asked if I had it pointing up or down. Also with the plenum I have found that I lost HP with the Injen, I went with a 350Z intake tube and an Impul flat filter. Works Much Better.

Old 08-11-2003, 04:03 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Gsedan35, Thanks for posting those pics of your install of the Crawford P. As well as the fix for oil filler gap.
The clearance of the cover to the hood looks critical. Can you tell if the cover is rubbing only on the black insulation pad, or has it worn thru to the hood? As Smcallis said, you get a lot of torquing of the engine under heavy load and I'm wondering if it's bad enough to actually touch the hood.
Has your dealer said anything about your install with respect to warranty?
Did the new plenum come with a new gasket?
Did you have any issues with transfering the studs over for engine cover? (2 front)
Thanks again for posting. It's something I'd like to do if I can work out the few issues you've come accross.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 08-11-2003, 04:59 PM

GIlovemycar (Member)
08/11/03 12:38 PM

Did anyone notice that he installed his CAI wrong. You need to have your MAF Plug facing up. For some reason when I called Injen about the problems that I was having that was the first thing they asked if I had it pointing up or down. Also with the plenum I have found that I lost HP with the Injen, I went with a 350Z intake tube and an Impul flat filter. Works Much Better.
__________________________________________________ _

Call it yanky craftiness, but I did not follow Injen's directions on purpose. And guess what, never any problems and all the power gains a true CAI delivers. The gains continued when I added on the Crawford. My Injen intake comes out of my car when I'm cold and dead. Or until someone hands me all the CAI and Z tube this and thats out their and lets me run back to back dyno's. Cause all we got now is a whole lot of gum flappen on which one is the best, nothing but opinions.

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
350Z springs&struts

Trending Topics

Old 08-11-2003, 05:19 PM

Gsedan35, Thanks for posting those pics of your install of the Crawford P. As well as the fix for oil filler gap.
The clearance of the cover to the hood looks critical. Can you tell if the cover is rubbing only on the black insulation pad, or has it worn thru to the hood? As Smcallis said, you get a lot of torquing of the engine under heavy load and I'm wondering if it's bad enough to actually touch the hood.
Has your dealer said anything about your install with respect to warranty?
Did the new plenum come with a new gasket?
Did you have any issues with transfering the studs over for engine cover? (2 front)
Thanks again for posting. It's something I'd like to do if I can work out the few issues you've come accross
__________________________________________________ _

Your welcome, I edited my post to show a pic of the hood mat. Frankly I just looked at the engine cover off the car. It would be real easy for someone to just cut off the spot that's rubbing the engine hood mat. Just do it nice and no one will be the wiser, it's such a tiny area right on the edge to.

The dealer hasn't seen the car and I haven't asked him about this either.

The new pleneum does not come with a gasket. I went to nissan and ordered on just in case (only $3.75). But honestly, it was a waste of time as the gasket that was already their look brand new.

The 2 studs your talking about actually stay in place when you remove the top half of the pleneum. Frankly their were a number of bolts and nuts that I thought at first I'd have to remove. But a closer examination proved otherwise.

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
350Z springs&struts

Old 08-11-2003, 08:38 PM

On my Coupe the rub is minor. The perforrmance increase however is not. I have the "Z" tube and a K&N. It's just awesome. As I have been saying, at this point in time - This is the best Bang for the Buck out there.

Old 08-11-2003, 09:34 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lowrider, did you buy thru Crawford directly, or go thru Strictly Z? By the sounds of it, Crawford isn't producing many and has a backlog of orders.
This mod does seem like a good one for the dough tho. Any dyno charts to show the increase accross the rpm range? By the sounds of it, the h/p increase is mainly at the top end---4k and above. What's your feel for that?

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 08-11-2003, 10:17 PM
same here

plenum + z tube + kn + cover...

slight rub and slight noise increase at idle...

feels better and noticibly louder at wot though...

Old 08-12-2003, 12:13 AM

You're right the most gain is above 4K, however when you're going thru the gears, if you go to redline then shift, your in the sweet spot of the plenum. I've seen no charts, just my but - This works. I bought directly from Crawford. Doug Stewart runs the place. A great guy. Phone No. (if you want it) (615) 327-4159.

Old 08-12-2003, 10:55 PM

Gsedan35, nice setup. Do you have dyno numbers?

Old 08-12-2003, 11:10 PM

Why don't you just remove the insulating mat completely?. It should help dissipate heat, but the car might be slightly louder.

Old 08-13-2003, 01:52 AM

i would love to buy it... i just need to see sum numbers.. crawford should put some out

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pics of my crawford pleneum w/the engine cover on