Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

$3.00 mod that will make HP/ and save your engine.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mike,

I noticed the same, as well. Although it was only a slight bit, I may be looking into the Stillen catch can set-up.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Obsessive Owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should I get the 9 mm hose catch can or the 15 mm hose?

Old 03-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you could just bypass them, a lot easier and no hot air or oil will be sucked in there

Attached Thumbnails .00 mod that will make HP/ and save your engine.-engine-bay1.jpg  
Old 03-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
If you bypass them do you just remove the PCV valve and add that breather filter like you have? Are there any drawbacks to doing this?

Old 03-03-2006, 07:08 AM
audible, do you have the same filter on the plenum side? You didn't cap it, did you?

Old 03-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you look in the pic on the back side you will see a second filter, this is just a old trick from back in the day, the only thing i capped is the intake side of the hose with a plug, then put the filter on the valve cover end, no oil or hot air into the plenum

Old 03-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
if you look in the pic on the back side you will see a second filter, this is just a old trick from back in the day, the only thing i capped is the intake side of the hose with a plug, then put the filter on the valve cover end, no oil or hot air into the plenum
I like that. Is there any way you could post (or email me) a closer up pic of the back filter?

Old 03-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Took instructions from audiblemayhem and copied his two filter setup pictured above (thanks), with a slight variation. I positioned the filter up front further from the motor, using the stock hose, to monitor any potential blow-by.

This setup ensures that NO oil can make it into the plenem, which is comforting to me considering I had oil there at 4500 miles.

Cheap and easy job. Highly recommended!!

Old 03-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
DP03 - Can you PM me the instructions?
Thanks!

Old 03-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by ttrank
DP03 - Can you PM me the instructions?
Thanks!
You have email

Old 03-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
thats NOT a good idea to put a breather filter on (at least not on that side of) the PCV system. Please research how a PCV system works before you completely disconnect the system.. you could cause some serious damage down the line

notice how tony left the system still connected but just filters the blow-by gases passing through it instead of disconnecting the whole system!!! why do you guys think UR (i think its UR anyways the company that created the CF Z-Tube) has REMODELED their CF z-tube to INCLUDE the PCV valve.

its there for a reason to keep air circulating and allows your engine to run alot cleaner. ALSO its an automatic FAIL for SMOG. it does NOT create a loss of HP. I'd LOVE to see a G with 10k Miles dyno LESS or MORE then a G with 1k mile.

To anyone doing this please do it on a Dynapack or if a roller dyno is use please make sure BOTH cars have the same wheel, tire, and thread life and allow 1-2hp variation due to climate.

so why is motordyne looking into this then? because its disturbing to have a dirty lower collector and it doesnt hurt to keep it clean.. and yes too much carbon build up will cause detionation... since buildup will get hot it'll eventually be hot enough to ignite the air fuel mixture before your spark plug sparks. BUT do not worry most of you dont even have 100k or even seen the lights of 20k on your engine yet. please dont worry about this we are now in the year 2006 where cars are expected to run up to 200,000 miles. those of you thats taken apart a VQ motor with milage on them know that the motor is running clean and efficient.

Reason i posted this was not to discourage the development of the Filter or catchcan but to keep people from messing up their PCV system

Last edited by EricIsKlumzyee; 03-05-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Obsessive Owner
Maybe I will just install a stillen catch can. That doesnt disrupt the PCV system as far as I know

Old 03-05-2006, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=Klumzyee]thats NOT a good idea to put a breather filter on (at least not on that side of) the PCV system. Please research how a PCV system works before you completely disconnect the system.. you could cause some serious damage down the line

notice how tony left the system still connected but just filters the blow-by gases passing through it instead of disconnecting the whole system!!! why do you guys think UR (i think its UR anyways the company that created the CF Z-Tube) has REMODELED their CF z-tube to INCLUDE the PCV valve.

its there for a reason to keep air circulating and allows your engine to run alot cleaner. ALSO its an automatic FAIL for SMOG. it does NOT create a loss of HP. I'd LOVE to see a G with 10k Miles dyno LESS or MORE then a G with 1k mile.

To anyone doing this please do it on a Dynapack or if a roller dyno is use please make sure BOTH cars have the same wheel, tire, and thread life and allow 1-2hp variation due to climate.

so why is motordyne looking into this then? because its disturbing to have a dirty lower collector and it doesnt hurt to keep it clean.. and yes too much carbon build up will cause detionation... since buildup will get hot it'll eventually be hot enough to ignite the air fuel mixture before your spark plug sparks. BUT do not worry most of you dont even have 100k or even seen the lights of 20k on your engine yet. please dont worry about this we are now in the year 2006 where cars are expected to run up to 200,000 miles. those of you thats taken apart a VQ motor with milage on them know that the motor is running clean and efficient.

Reason i posted this was not to discourage the development of the Filter or catchcan but to keep people from messing up their PCV system[/QUOTE

I'm not sure who you are directing this to, but the recirculation of the blow by gases are there for one reason, and one reason only. Uncle Sam and emissions. Putting the filters on keeps the crankcase ventilated (better than with the stock setup) and keeps oil from entering the intake plenum. Trust me, I had plenty of oil in the intake plenum after 4500 miles, not 200,000. This may not add hp (although some claim it does), but it will keep your engine from ingesting oil.

This solution is not a new secret. I did it on the LS1 that I raced and other cars. It will not hurt anything. Now, if it causes you to fail tests in the Peoples Republic of California, that may be a different consideration.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure you'll fail in any state if your venting into the atmosphere. Its routed to the intake system not to be stored there but to be burned in the combustion chamber.. now how in anyway is this taking away HP. the only emission device that'll take away any noticeable HP is the CAT. Majoirty of the emission laws has done nothing but force manufactures to create better motors that lasts longer.

Purpose of the PCV is to keep crankcase gases from entering the atmosphere. it routes the vapors back to the intake manifold (in our case air enteres through our Z-Tube or G-Tube.. that little hose thats connected on with a hose clamp) then it circulates all the crap that gets pass your pistion rings back into the intake (lower collector) and re-enters the combustion chamber so its burned and sent through the exhaust pipe. by disconnecting it you've trapped all that crap in your engine.. now i dont know about you but the last time i checked.. a filter will keep all the build in IN the engine. yeah sure its venting air but the whole purpose of the system is to SUCK air out of the crankcase using the vacuum created by the engine (why its routed to your intake). last time i checked a filter does not suck nor allow crap to go pass it (filters require maintenance). so the by-products of combustion is being trapped in your crankcase causing VERY dirty oil and oil filter.. reducing the life of your filter and oil dramatically. and some how your engine life is in direct relations with its lube (hm.. i wonder )

Now because Uncle Sam has mandiate this system.. manufactures has integrated it so well that some motors will (FAIL as in problems..) if the system is disabled. Systems like the ones on the older bimmers (duno about new models) had a metered vacuum in place of the PCV valve. that system vents the crankcase with so much vacuum that you'll hear loose seals and gaskets.

i DONT know about the VQ motor.. (obviously i dont own one anymore) but why disconnect something that WORKS? all you're doing is reducing the life of your engine AND failing emissions.. The answer to safely keep your lower collector clean is NOT disconnecting the PCV system!!! Either run a catch can or wait for Tony from Motordyne Engineering to develop a filtering system!

and the LS1 is isnt a VQ motor.. but thats a seperate thread

edit: reason why catch-cans are used more often on turboed cars is because it builds up in the intercooler pipe more noticeable then our plenum. also a catch-can will cause you to fail emissions (in the same states that'll fail you for a breather filter) but its alot better for the engine and can be easilly removed or disconnected.

Last edited by EricIsKlumzyee; 03-05-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:00 PM
All I can tell you is look at lots of the theads that show LOTS of oil on low mileage cars. Mine included. I simply choose to eliminate that threat with no negative consequences (in my state, at least). Oil in the intake plenum is NOT GOOD FOR ANY ENGINE.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $3.00 mod that will make HP/ and save your engine.