Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Phresh DYNO on my Coupe by K & N ...... 12.27.200

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 01:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 Coupe w/ K&N CAI
Phresh DYNO on my Coupe by K & N ...... 12.27.200

Hey guys / gals... I have a really great Horsepower story. First let me start off by saying there are really 2 parts to this, one I can talk about & am putting here, the other facet I can not talk about, think of it as a non-disclosure thing until they go to production.

Ok, I'm lucky enough to have a Coupe & live in Southern California. I just had my coupe at K & N for a couple of days & just picked it up today. What was my coupe doing at K & N? Well, what I believe I am allowed to say, is that they are developing a bolt on, cold air intake system for our little babys. What I am not allowed to talk about is what kind of #'s they are pulling in the tests for this product. They wish that to be kept under disclosure & I will honor that. However, what makes for an interesting twist on this story & gleans a little info, for something that I can talk about should be encouraging for our little G's. Funny story too!

Before my 35 I had a '99 G20t, & I put an OEM / stock fit K & N filter, for like 45.00 - 50.00 in the G20. Well, when I got my G35 last month, I sold my G20 to my buddy, & told him, the only modification I wanted to keep, was my K & N filter (since they were the same size, Nissan is using this size as a common part #), so I gave him the new factory paper filter from my G35 & took my K & N back, & put that in my G35.

Well, I had also forgot that I did this & just dropped my car off to K & N to use for prototyping & did not bring the factory filter which they would need for a "stock" baseline on the Dyno. Ironically, they also had a brand new Z in the bay, which I pulled right in next to when I dropped it off. Anyway, we postulated the one off of the Z would also fit, which it did & was good, since I live near 2 hours away from K& N research. So what this presented was an opportunity & they decided to take it, & this was to not just dyno my G35 stock w/paper filter & with the "prototype", but to also run the dyno as a comparison between the stock paper filter & the regular OEM fit K&N filter that you can go buy in the store right now & has been on the shelves for years. So, I am allowed to talk about THESE numbers, since that part is nothing more than an already shipping product that anyone can go get & put in their G35 right now (I will add the dyno results page, I need to scan & post them, & I will also post the part # of the OEM fit K & N filter for anyone who cares to know it......

So, they were VERY suprised themselves to see the #'s it pulled on the dyno, even with just the factory air box no "prototpe intake", all this was, was changing the filter, plain & simple. From factory paper to OEM fit K & N.

Anyway, there are of course peak & average #'s & they are relative to RPM's & gear. With the OEM fit K&N in 2'nd @ 5500 there is about a 7 HP gain at the wheel over the paper filter, in 3'rd @ 5900 there is about a 5 gain & in 4th @ 5100 there is about a 5 gain. These are all AVERAGED gains, NOT PEAK & in all but 2nd gear, peak matched averaged for each run. They said the OEM fit filter is usally only good for a MAX gain of 2 or 3 HP in most any installation, they were blown away at how well the G35's did with just that stock fit filter replaced in the stock box & stock intake.

Now the rest, I can not talk about. However, I think it's reasonable to say that anyting you do to further improve the intake system, will just unleash a bit more of that hidden power in these cars. Especially for a bolt on, or even just AN OEM fit, it really shows how well designed this vehicle is & how easy it's going to be to "tune" them & get real nunbers out of them & truly how badly these cars want to perform. I really love my G!

So again, when I have time, in the next few days, I will scan the official K & N dyno print out's to post in this thread so people can see they are for real, along with the K & N part # for the OEM fit filter, that anyone can go out & get today.

The custom prototype intake, you'll just have to wait & see what they come out with when they get it out to the consumer market.

I really had a great time, & it was a privilige to have them work with my car. I had a blast talking with them, they were really a great bunch of guys there, who really care about what they are doing. I was impressed. So now I have my baby back home, safe & sound, all tucked away in my garage.

B/Silver / Willow / 5-Manumatic / Premium / Performance / Aero / Nav / Factory Bra / U/G factory H4 Fog/High Beam to PIAA Super Plasma GT's (Which looks great with the factory HID's, much better than the yellow factory halogen's & yes, how to get in there & change those dammed things is another story, but guys, with a little pain & effort it CAN be done, just be brave, mind you I did that with no jack or wheel removal)

Next up is Titanium tint for the windows!!!

Thanks for reading guys, hope some can share in the fun I had taking my car down to K & N...

Randy

Old 12-28-2002, 02:40 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Phresh DYNO on my Coupe by K & N ...... 12.27.200

Thanks for posting, socalmmr, that'll be news to most here I'm sure. Seven H/P is substantial (would love to see the Graph soon).
What's the ETA on the CAI they're working on? And how long must you keep quiet on it? Are we talking about another 10 ponies with that CAI? Wouldn't that be nice.
Happy Holidays.................

Gsedanman-Garnet Fire Sedan ('till Jan)

Old 12-28-2002, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not believe any of this until I see an independent dyno run and a dyno sheet to match. 7 hp from a K&N filter does not make sense. A CAI will give you 8 hp, so a filter giving close to a CAI really stretchs reality.

Old 12-29-2002, 02:31 AM
kgb

You'll have to register at my350z.com to see the post below my comments.

If you'll notice in "Sakred" post, with the OEM filter removed from the 350Z's airbox the dyno shows a power increase of 10hp & 6ft/lbs of torque. If the K&N allows more air to flow through, it would make since that there would be a significant hp gain. Dont' you think?

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...highlight=dyno

Old 12-29-2002, 03:25 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The K & N filters work well, but in vehicles where the limiting factor is a poorly designed, or restrictive airbox and intake, simply changing filters yields little or no difference in HP gain. A noticeable HP gain can be had in a well designed airbox/ intake. The G35 intake/ airbox looks quite well engineered (except for taking the whole flippin' thing apart when replacing the filter!). A CAI may also not work miracles depending on the design, etc.
Because of the 'ram air' design of the stock G, it would be interesting to see the HP gains of a CAI over a filter replacement in a moving car rather than just a static setup.

Old 12-29-2002, 07:47 PM

The guy you mention took the entire filter out. That is tootally different. A K&N filter will not get you more that 2-3 hp at most. Those who tell you that they gained 5-10 hp from a filter in a filter box are flat out misleading you. Why does he not present a dyno? I would like to see these numbers verified. A lot of crap is posted in forums and I do not believe 95% of it. I have been moding and racing cars for 4 years and I know what works and what does not. A K&N filter will not give 8 hp.

Old 12-29-2002, 07:52 PM
O.F. Administrator

Looks genuine to me, kgb, I like those results. By the way the site - myG350.com - looks cool and very popular.
As you said- Sakred took the filter right out to gain 10H/P & 6F/P -- I would guess it may be less with the K/N in but not sure. Thanks for posting.
Gsedanman-Garnet Fire Sedan ('till Jan)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 12/29/02 05:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 12-29-2002, 07:53 PM

The best bang for the buck for intakes is the CAI. A well designed CAI will gain you a dyno proven 5-10 hp. My SE-R gained 30 hp from header, CAI, exhaust, cams, and pulleys. It puts 150 hp to the wheels whereas it put around 120 stock. Mods work in combination with each other. There are three major restrictions in a stock engine. The intake, the exhaust system and the cams. Open all three and you have gained the max power you can gain on an NA engine w/o changing the internals. Putting a K&N filter will net you 2-3 hp at most.

Old 12-30-2002, 03:41 AM
kgb

Take a look at "ZunZet350Z" comments on this thread:
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...&highlight=236

B&B Exhaust prototyped their muffler system using his car. The baseline dyno was 236 hp; with the muffler and K&N it jumped to 248 hp. The B&B was responsible for 6.5 hp. "B&B system shows an increase in both horsepower and torque across the power band with peaks of 6.5hp and 5.1-lb/ft. of torque."

Old 12-30-2002, 03:44 AM
kgb

nj1266,
Having an opinion is fine, but you're making dogmatic assertions here. What's the point of me responding to you?

Old 12-30-2002, 10:23 AM

While I would agree that in most cases a filter change alone won't get you the HP increase of a CAI, the reported 5-7hp gain (it varied by RPM, see original post), is possible given that even a 1% error on the dyno represents about 3hp. Whether the gain was truly 1HP or 7HP about all you can say from this was in their tests the K&N filter showed an increase in horsepower over the stock filter which is a positive for anyone using the K&N filter. Keep in mind the results for your car are going to vary from the results of his car, etc. etc.

Old 01-04-2003, 12:55 PM
G35 Coupe w/ K&N CAI
Re: Phresh DYNO on my Coupe by K & N ...... 12.27

Ok guys, here are the scans of the Dyno printouts, soory it took me a week, but it's been a bit crazy with the holidays, etc... Also the K&N OEM fit part # is as follows "NM-33-2031-1". Keep in mind the new CAI I am not allowed to talk about & so the Dyno's have NOTHING to do with that system or it's test results. The attached Dyno is from the OEM fit K&N filter only...

Randy

14569-3rdgeardyno*.jpg

Old 01-04-2003, 01:08 PM
G35 Coupe w/ K&N CAI

Attached is the second dyno page I scanned. nj1266, while you make good points, these are simply the results K&N obtained while doing various runs on my coupe. It's for people to see not "Believe", everyone can make up their own minds on the topic, and for that matter since you want to see an inde Dyno with the various filters, go take your Coupe out to a Dyno facility, get a K&N OEM fit & tell us your results as compared to the paper factory unit...... At least I bothered to make an almost 2 hour drive each way over the course of a fews days to drive out to their HQ in Riverside & these are the results of that, when you actually have something tangible, rather than a state of disbelief, to contribute, then by all means post that so we may see the fruits of that labor & I will be most eager to read that post... You can say that I am misleading people, but that is just not true, these are the Dyno result for my vehicle & it's to be taken at face value. More #'s will come out on the matter when they go to full scale production on the CAI kit they are working on....

Regards guys & thanks to everyone else for contributing further to this post with other interesting stories...

Randy

14571-2ndgeardyno*.jpg

Old 01-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Staff ALUMNI

Hey Great post! But next time can you edit the scans to be less than 100k, making them smaller usually works without affecting the view, this way they are easier to read and take up less space on the server. Thanks.

Merlin.

Old 01-04-2003, 09:24 PM
O.F. Administrator

Thanks for taking the time to post, Randy. It confirms what I have believed for years that you net a modest but significant H/P gain using a K&N air filter. Coupled with another modest gain using the CAI, I'd say a sweet gain for a fair investment .Is that the way you see it?

Gsedanman-Garnet Fire Sedan ('till Jan 7, then D/G Coupe)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Phresh DYNO on my Coupe by K & N ...... 12.27.200