Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

whats the difference between replica... and authentic. PLZ ANSWER!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
whats the difference between replica... and authentic. PLZ ANSWER!

I want to buy an impul replica front bumper which is for sale... I want to know if its bad to buy it like am i better off just paying the extra and getting the authentic or is the replica fine... im so confused lol I know its different material but like i need the actual facts... thanks guys!

Old 09-30-2006, 12:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
from waht i hear the replicas sometime dont fit as well as the authentic ones...so you might end up paying the same amount..cuz ull have to pay extra for the adjustments..not too sure..buh thas wut ive heard

Old 09-30-2006, 12:23 AM
a.k.a kleicoupe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some people have problems with replica parts, if i ever did a bodykit i would go for authentic.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:27 AM
Evil Bastard
ask yourself: what's the difference between masturbation and sex?

there isn't really... but you'll feel better with yourself than with the latter.

that's not really true, but you should just use that camparison for everything.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's iffy... depends on who makes the mold. There are a lot of people that have great replicas, and there are some others that aren't so fortunate. Vendors like AutomotiveMods have great garuantee's and the acclaimed "perfect fitment" and there are great referrences and testamonies from their customers. So do your research, and cross your fingers, hopefully you'll end up on the better end of the stick.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:15 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
save yourself the trouble and stick with authentics

Old 09-30-2006, 03:32 AM
Nice cars should get nice kits

Although we sell a lot of copycat kits, I would never get one for my G35. Cheap kits are for cheap cars like civics, proteges, and cars like that. Most replica kits will fit, but not even close to perfect. They will take a lot of work, and lots of times, its not so much the fitment, but the finish. A cheap kit may have lots of pits, or waves. So after painting the kit, you will see that the reflection is not straight and even. There will be lots of waves, dips, and bumps in the reflection. This can be avoided by good prep work on the body kit, but get ready to pay for lots of labor hrs.

As far as fitment, its hit or miss, depending on how the kit was produced. These cheap kits are mass produced in asia by workers making pennies/hr. Sometimes they are not given proper time to cure, so the ends of them come out too wide, or too short. Sometimes the bottoms flare out too much, and sometimes they are crooked. All this can be fixed, but again, you will pay for it.

Save youself the headache, and get authentic, original kits. That way you have a better chance of having a nice final product.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buying replica is like rolling the dice....you may get lucky with fitment/quality, but then you may not...

if you have the money, get authentic

Old 09-30-2006, 04:08 AM
Never enough
Originally Posted by CarFanatic56
buying replica is like rolling the dice....you may get lucky with fitment/quality, but then you may not...

if you have the money, get authentic
Agree. I dont know why I post over and over in these threads. The ol mighty $ always wins. Even if you get good fitment you will need to have the part blocked down and glazed to get all the waves out. This in the end WILL cost ya big bux! Unless your willing to live with the waves. This is where the civic guys that are steppin up and buying a G35 come in. With the price of the G and Z falling look for a lot of kids that stretched their money out to get into one of these cars to buy the knock offs. It will look OK in pics but like shiet in person! Good times!

Old 09-30-2006, 04:09 AM
Never enough
BTW I dont like spending anymore then I have to on mods. But somethings you cant skimp on. REMEMBER what your driving.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Save your time, spend a few extra dollars and go to www.impul-usa.com. When you call the guys - tell them RickM sent you...

Attachment 53916

Last edited by ISMSOLUTIONS; 12-17-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:44 PM
why would u want to spend $1500+ on a authentic impul front bumper when you can get one for $350. People like to think the G35 is some of lamborghini or something. You will not be spending much more to have your replica painted and fitted than a authentic. If you take it to a bodyshop then they will charge you the same price range. to be honest, they wont care if its a authentic and that you say it should be perfect fitment. They will find some **** wrong with your authentic and say they had to do this and that. In the end you would pay the same lol. You would also get the same results. The majority of the people on these boards have replicas and you would never notice. I have a replica ts front bumper and my friend has the authentic. I paid $100 more to have mines installed at the same shop! If you look at both our bumpers you will not be able to tell the difference. I get to spend the 1300+ i saved and buy a exhaust system. I think that is what pisses off people who bought the authentics lol. they realize they spent more for nothing. But of course they get to say theirs is authentic. whoopdee doo da. big deal. Be smart. get the replica for cheap. spend that extra money you save and get yourself somehting else for your car.

Also what if you had a accident. urethane or fiberglas, most likely your front bumoper would be gone. if you bought a authentic then u just lost out on 1500. Also when you spend $1500+ on a front bumper your pretty much stuck with that. If you get the replica you could always change things up cause it was only $350. plus if u resell the replica you can get pretty close to what you paid for it. maybe like 100-150 less. if you try to sell authentic then you would take a big lost.

Im not telling you to get a replica exhaust system or replica rims. this is a front bumper. replica or authentic, they both look the same and have the same function.

Last edited by GiggityGiggityG; 09-30-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by GiggityGiggityG
replica or authentic, they both look the same and have the same function.
Well - not always...

Case in point - I went through 3 replica's and still didn't get one that worked or looked GREAT. It was 2 1/2 weeks of hell on me and the body shop - without the car to use - so the rental fees went up and up. Not to mention everyone's agravation.

Finally - I decided to spend the dollars and go with the authentic, and 3 days later the car was ready with no questions or problems. Now ultimately, I wanted the Impul sides and rear with the Nismo front, like TinMan has...but that just didn't work out.

You get what you pay for..hands down, in this business.

Also, as far as insurance and replacement costs - for $20 a year additional - I have my whole Impul kit covered with a $100 deductable on those parts only.

Where did I loose? Nowehere...

Rick

Old 09-30-2006, 02:03 PM
well obviously we are all talking from our own experiences. But i have all replica kits on my g35 and i am happy with how it turned out. my sideskirts were horrible fitment. they were too short. but my bodyshop did a good job and they look perfect to me. did i spend alot getting it fitted. no. just $350 to get it painted and fitted. i dont se where people are getting quoted over $1200 to get replicas fitted because that is how much it has to be to end up being more than what u would pay for a authentic. before your bodyshop works on it they should take a look at it and give u a quote. Some of you guys must be going to bodyshops who have no experience dealing with aftermarket bodykits.

it may seem that alot of peolple are having issues with replicas but that only seems so because they post about it. So people who are not familiar with this topic get scared away and end up paying alot more because they were not educated more on the topic.

getting a replica is not hit or miss. hit or miss would be like 50/50. that is just not true. at least with the replica kits available for the g35. I would say 10% of the people who go with replica are unhappy with it. but hell they still save a load of money.

Last edited by GiggityGiggityG; 09-30-2006 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Hey - I'm not knocking replicas at all.

For me - I wanted perfect fitment and no body shop issues or needs to customize anything. They should be perfect - replica or not. That should be the expectation and deliverable.

Rick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: whats the difference between replica... and authentic. PLZ ANSWER!