Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Window Tint laws

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Window Tint laws

Here's an interesting site that spells out the (hopefully) current state of tinting laws in North America:

http://www.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 02-12-2003, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Window Tint laws

Yeah, good link, of course, I knew California's law. Almost noone gets pulled over for it ever though. California has some pretty retarded laws on the book about autos and this is one of them.

Andrew

2003 coupe 6MT blue premium aero (on order)

Old 02-12-2003, 02:54 PM

I know. I brought my car into California from Texas with tinted windows that were Texas legal. Got the car registered with California plates.. they inspected my car, complained about the federal emissions sticker, charged me a $300 "Smog Impact Fee" and didn't say a word about the windows. The following year the someone sued and had that fee declared unconsitutional on the grounds that it impedes free travel between states, and I eventually got a refund check. Texas seemed a little more sane to me.. to renew your registration every year, you had to have the vehicle inspected... they made sure the steering, brakes, tires, and lights were all in good shape before you passed. Here, you can be dragging your bumper on the ground and have PIAA super-white brake lights, just so long as it doesn't spit out too many hydrocarbons.

Old 02-12-2003, 02:57 PM

Gotta love our silly laws.

Andrew

2003 coupe 6MT blue premium aero (on order)

Old 02-13-2003, 06:45 PM

I think tinting laws are a joke... I dont think you can get pulled over for solely the tint either.. just my .02..

..pestilence..

Old 02-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here in Edmonton, I got pulled over for tinted windows in my Toyota. The tint that I had was a 'Top Tint' that was gradient and almost clear from 6" to the bottom. I protested, and even showed the cop a 'script I kept in the car that I got a resident to write 'just in case', saying that I was photosensitive thereby covering me for tint. The jerk told me that the note had to be written on a 'Letterhead' and would not be accepted in court. His partner didn't look like he agreed with this but kept his mouth shut.[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]
I arranged to see a traffic judge before the trial date and presented my case. He told me that this particular officer has a 'pet peeve' about tinted windows and stated that he should never have written the ticket based on the covering 'script'. Basically ripped up the ticket.
Luckily I didn't have to take time off to appear in court.

I wrote and submitted a 'Guest Column' in the local newspaper that was accepted for publication. Basically I did a dissertation re cops not always ticketing for reasons of safety, but rather because of personality and "authority power-tripping". I got $50 for the article, so I actually thought about writing the officer a 'thankyou' letter. LOL [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2003, 06:59 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan

About the CA tint laws...
You CAN be pulled over just for tint, you would get a fix-it ticket. I have been pulled over at least three times in my T-bird (I call it "the hoopty" now) over the last seven years and I have 50% nuetral on the driver/passanger windows.

Old 02-19-2003, 04:25 PM

I put 5% - 15% on all my cars, and Ive never had a problem. Im in FL. I dont think they care much here.

Old 03-06-2003, 07:50 AM

I just got mine tinted last week. I got 4% on the back, and 20% on the sides. The day I drove it home a cop passed me and didn't even look twice at me. I was a little worried too, when I picked up the car (it looks dark). But I've noticed that in the hotter area's of Cali, they are a little more leanient about the tint.

<font color=blue>2003 Caribbean Blue Coupe
6MT Prem, Aero, Nav.</font color=blue>[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2003, 12:13 PM

Sometimes they don't pay attention. When I was in high school, my Mom's car (a metallic red 91 Grand Prix STE) had a H.E.A.T. sticker on it (Help Eliminate Auto Theft) -- so it was licensed with the local PD, and that sticker meant, "If you see me driving around between 1am and 5am, stop me and see who's driving my car." I was in it at 2am one morning, and a cop pulled up behind me at a stoplight, and didn't do a thing. Actually was kinda upsetting, because it meant that the program was worthless. Sometimes they don't pay enough attention.

Old 03-07-2003, 09:21 AM
VNT

PA: basically for cars, it's 70% (live there)
VA: 50% front, 35% rear (used to live there)
NJ: none for front, 35% rear (work there)

that's all I know...of the corrections.

Old 03-07-2003, 04:02 PM

I hope you got your $300.00 smog impact fee returned. In case you didn't know, that so-called smog impact fee was illegal. And guess what, the Democratically controlled legislature was told by the legislative counsel prior to it's enactment that it would be illegal. They did it any way, and got away with it for ten years! So if you have not had your money returned I would suggets you contact DMV.

Old 03-07-2003, 04:33 PM

You must have skimmed my post...

The following year the someone sued and had that fee declared unconsitutional on the grounds that it impedes free travel between states, and I eventually got a refund check.

Thanks for your concern, though. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2003, 01:40 AM

I have heard that the laws have changed.. that if they do catch you with illegal tint.. its a point off your record and some amount in a ticket... something of that sort.. but the punishment has increased is what i hear.. and those are the supposed following increases...

BaDbOy - "bLaCk BeAuTy"
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=321439