Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cheap Paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Paint

I know this has probably been posted before, but I think Infiniti used cheap quality paint on the 07's. Is it me or does our paint scratch extremely easy? I look @ older G's and there paint seems to be better. I have an OB G and feel the paint is nothing compared to the black paint Bmw, Acura, Audi and Lexus uses, heck i even saw and black Toyota Prius paint that looks better. Does anybody else feel this way? Infiniti needs to do a recall on their paint!

Old 09-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
the paint is very soft on all the years..

Old 09-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go get it repainted, might be pricey though

Old 09-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clear bra or some sorta treatment seems to be the best route. Spend some $$ now and keep the car looking nice for years.

I bought my car used and it was too late..... lovebugs already got to the paint.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:31 PM
I also agree with this. I have an 04 and feel like my car gets scratched easily...of course, i always thought it was b/c of the fact that it's a black car (i had a black eclipse gsx before and my sister had a black lexus is300), but something else im noticing is every time i wash my car..there's always a new scratch here and there, especially front bumper. My solution..i love my g that much to just save enough $$ to repaint the whole car or just retouch it.

If I repaint whole car..im goin with a candy red, or metallic black, or mercedes black.

Last edited by GFORCE-1; 09-22-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Like said above the paint on most new cars is very soft. They don't use enough clear IMO but clear bra will go a long way. I have it all over my car (hood, front end, fenders, mirrors, rear bumper, a-pillars, lower half of doors and side skirts).

Old 10-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a friend, an engineer who works at TOYOTA's paint shop department. He told me that out of all the cars (BMW, TOYOTA, LEXUS, INFINITI, etc.) infiniti's got the worst paint job!

Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I think he's probably right, Lexus paint is definitely top quality though. I worked at Toyota Motor Manufacturing and they manufactured the Lexus RX series there, even just for Paint all the machinery and equipment had to be upgraded before they could start manufacturing Lexus there instead of only Toyotas. Quality of paint used is much higher and the whole procedure is much more tedious over the regular Toyotas. Seeing the whole production process on the Lexus is amazing too, can definitely see why the cars are built so well, not to mention the amount of QC and checks they do before the cars are sent to dealers.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Actually, I have a friend who owns a black '06 IS350 and he developed rust spots on his roof. He was quite pissed since his F-250 had better paint.

Its not exactly our paint that is soft, its our clearcoats that are weak.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:52 AM
Originally Posted by GFORCE-1
I also agree with this. I have an 04 and feel like my car gets scratched easily...of course, i always thought it was b/c of the fact that it's a black car (i had a black eclipse gsx before and my sister had a black lexus is300), but something else im noticing is every time i wash my car..there's always a new scratch here and there, especially front bumper. My solution..i love my g that much to just save enough $$ to repaint the whole car or just retouch it.

If I repaint whole car..im goin with a candy red, or metallic black, or mercedes black.

not just on black cars, its the same for my DG. I've gotten soo many scratches from my backpack just grazing it, and dont even look at my front bumper, its got soo many streaks from flying debris its not even worth the money infiniti charges for the car.

Me = very pissed off consumer. for the rest of my cars say to infiniti.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I put my car through a fence on a track day, (long story) and it put scratches in many of the panels. I have a fantastic shop in my area that did the repair. They repainted every panel on the car. Replaced the sunroof, windshield, chrome, headlights... grill, lots of stuff...

They put a lot more clear on it so that they could wet sand and polish it more and end up with much less orange peel than a factory paint job. Even after all that I must have twice as much clear now than before. They spent half a day cleaning the filters in the booth to make sure no black spots got into the base/pearl/clear coats. It turned out amazing!!! Then I put a clearbra back on the car.

IP is pricey to do. Its not just base/clear.. they also have a pearl layer too.