Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear Bumper Problem ><!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Bumper Problem ><!!!

So i was shaving my trunk yesterday and noticed a TINY scratch in the back of my bumper ... when i get up to do something i tend to get **** about everything. So being the idiot that i am i decide to go buy a touch up kit from the dealership and fix it.. so i try the pen roller and that didn't work out that well so i decide to use the brush. I did the base white and and let it dry and then another coat of white and wait 24 hours then do the glossy *ivory pearl* final coat and ..well.. it REALLY didn't blend as a matter of fact i kinda made it twice as big/noticeable.. i'm a ****in idiot... is there any way i can fix that... cuz i really don't wanna repaint a whole bumper for a inch and a half.. i shoulda just left it alone.. it wasn't even noticable ANY help would b greatly appreciated.. id take pics but it's dark out..

-Rogue

Old 12-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha. try rubbing compound to try and rid the area.. or mask the surroudning area and wetsand it out.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never liked touch up paint. It is so noticeable.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:58 PM
>< im an idiot lol. I dont even feel like goin to work tomorow, id much rather go find a way to fix that ****. wth am i gonna repaint it w if i wetsand??

Old 12-30-2007, 11:07 PM
i kno, talk abotu noticeable, **** is a total different shade.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:34 PM
pics?

Old 12-31-2007, 12:05 AM
properly touching up paint on a car isn't as quick and painless as most think or want, to properly touch-up do the following:
-apply primer(if metal is visible)
-then paint(carefully, the idea is getting the new paint even with the
surrounding paint, multiple coats may be needed
-then carefully wetsand(to smooth out and get rid of the high spots)
-then buff the area

the wetsanding and buffing smooths and helps 'blend' the area. if the paint isn't a perfect match this step makes it not nearly as noticeable. if the paint is a perfect or near perfect match, you should not be able to see it at all after this step.

hope this helps, remember to just take your time - if you rush it will only look worse

Old 12-31-2007, 12:13 AM
so i should westand it.. cuz it just looks like it's ..."bumpy"... i don't know it's like a smudge on the car.. sort of the same color just stands out when u look at it in at diff angles.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:36 AM
it stands out at different angles because its not smooth - shadowing from light( sun, light bulbs, etc.)
start with something like 800grit(check to make sure it can be used for wetsanding) and carefully try to sand just the 'high-spots', once its some what smooth then go to 1000grit(and go a bit beyond the touched-up spot) and keep working on it until the touched-up spot is smooth with the surrounding paint then you are ready to buff - if you have never buffed before i suggest you don't make you first attempt on your G!

when wetsanding keep and eye on the paper, it can clog up fairly easily - get a bucket and put water in it along with a few drops of liquid detergent(something like dawn or joy), the detergent keeps the paper from clogging as easy

keep a smooth steady pressure on the paper, and go in a back and forth or up and down motion, no circlular motions!

now get to work and take and post up some before and after pics for us!