Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Windshield Wiper Problem...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
F.Y.I Guys!!

The strangest thing, as soon as the oustide temp broke 60 on a consistent basis, my wipers stopped "skipping" on intermittent.

I know some of you have gotten advice from dealers claiming that the wiper linkage might be to blame, but I am curious to see from the people who posted here and did not take this issue to a dealer to get it "fixed" if your skipping wipers on intermittent problem has gone away...

Old 06-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this problem early on. Two changes fixed it. First I now use only premium blades, either PIAAs or Bosch ICONs. Second I used the factory blade to torque the wiper arm so that it would make the arm parallel and the blade is perpendicular to the glass. Be careful when torquing the arm so as not to break anything.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Talking Wiper linkage

I have had the same problem you describe. Today I removed the entire wiper assembly and found the cause. The wipers move in tandem through the use of two linkage arms (sort of like a pantograph). At the end of each arm is a ball and socket joint. The socket part is made out of white plastic. Two of the four sockets in my assembly were broken and had a large amount of play in them when they moved. The other two were not broken and moved smoothly with no play or looseness. I have ordered the two linkage arms from the dealership and they should arrive in a few days. It's really not a hard repair to do yourself once you get the cover at the base of the windshield off. I hope this helps with your wiper problems.
Salt_fly

The following users liked this post:
jmink78 (02-22-2012)
Old 07-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
^Great find and good info salt_fly.

Could you please post up the part numbers once you get the parts in and what year G you have.

Thanks

Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Part numbers

I have an 03 G35 Sedan (sport) with 98K miles. I will try to remember to post the part numbers when they come in.
Salt_fly

Old 07-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
not trying to jack the thread or anything. but my windshield washer nozzle sprays fluid not to my windshield, it sprays the cars next to me. i almost got my @ss kicked spraying someone next to me in the face!

Old 07-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
haha, that's strange since the nozzles are ont he actual wiper arm. There may be dirt in them blocking the spray path. Try cleaning them out, or if you can re-position them to hit the windshield

Old 07-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G35papa
^Great find and good info salt_fly.

Could you please post up the part numbers once you get the parts in and what year G you have.

Thanks
+10000!

This is the only thing about the car that drives me nuts.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by ptviperz
+10000!

This is the only thing about the car that drives me nuts.
WOW!!

Consider yourself lucky...LOL...This issue is one of about 5 that make me want to light the thing on fire lately.

Wipers skipping intermittently
Driver door window rattle inside the door
"Upper Glove box" rattling and the "skin" lifting at the top seam
Air Conditioner compressor grinding/groaning
Static through the stereo with the rear defrost/defog on
etc...

And I only have 40k gentle miles on an 03!

Old 07-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Thumbs up Part numbers

G35Papa-
Just finished the job. Works great! The part numbers are:

INF 28842-AL500 Link Assy-Connecting
INF 28841-AL500 Link Assy-Connecting

One is 14" long and the other is 18" long. They were about $25.00 each. Use a rubber mallet to gently tap the plastic socket onto the metal ball. The only glitch in the process was that there is a little rubber cup washer at each ball and socket joint to hold the grease in. One of my cup washers was torn up. I went back to the dealer to get one and they said they didn't have any and didn't have a part number for it so could not order one. I just put it back together without it. If anyone knows where I can get one of these rubber cup washers, please let me know.

Salt_fly

Old 07-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had this problem several times too (in the winter only)....but I thought it was because there was some snow/ice down near where the wipers came down, so I ignored it and it would go away...until the next snow storm. To be honest, I haven't had it since the winter...so I don't know that it's the linkage (or at least mine might not be)? Guess I'll find out in December/January....

Old 08-17-2008, 12:13 PM
windshield wipers

I live in CT and started having the same problem with my wipers on a 2003 g5 sedan. This summer has had heavy rain. They do not slam when the weather is dry. My husband thought it was a bushing. Today he is trouble shooting the battery drain people talk about that comes from the radio. Will have wipers checked and get back to the board.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Salt_Fly - thanks for the info!

If you have a chance, some photos of the "infected" area and your repair would be awesome!

My 03 Sedan (150,000 miles!) wipers feel like they're on steroids!

They fly all the way up and slam into (and are stopped by) the vertical side edge where the window meets the car body by the driver's head, then fly down and slam at the bottom of their path by the hood - enough so that they bounce like a trampoline when on "intermittent".

And those slams are incredibly loud! Sounds like someone's shooting at me!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:11 AM
I've experienced the same issue for the first time yesterday... perhaps the snow and cold had something to do with it. The bolt on the driver side wiper arm wasn't fully tightned, so I did that, then checked the wipers and they were working fine... but this was when the car was already home in my garage (so maybe the warm temp made it go away while I was thinking I had fixed it). This morning, started out the drive and the first few wipes were fine.... but then the issue came back, so I got to work and found this thread; it's exactly what I'm experiencing.

Just wanted to check if others who've experienced this were able to fix it by replacing the 2 wiper links? If that's what it is, I will try to buy them today because this is one heck of an annoying issue (on yesterday's drive in the snow I got out of my car twice thinking there was some snow on the cowl that was causing it).

Thanks for any info!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by G35fromTO
Just wanted to check if others who've experienced this were able to fix it by replacing the 2 wiper links?
Yep, my wipers were slamming all over the place, replaced the links and they are perfect again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Problem...