Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

3M vs Ventureshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M vs Ventureshield

Hey Guys,

Did a search but couldn't find anything definite about which is the better product. Please post about your experience with either of these products (ex: how long have you had it, is it lasting, fading, yellowing? etc.) so the rest of us know which is the best to protect our babies

Thanks!
Nick

Old 09-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know much about Ventureshield, but I haven't heard any complaints about professionally-installed 3M

Old 09-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by BlueDevilBAMF
I don't know much about Ventureshield, but I haven't heard any complaints about professionally-installed 3M
I'm looking right now to protect my car and was going to go with 3M all the way until I stumbled onto some Porsche forums that swears by ventureshield. Apparently, it doesn't have as much the orange peel look or the yellowing problems some 3M owners have reported, it also comes with a lifetime warranty so that in itself is attractive...

Old 09-01-2008, 11:23 PM
I have used 3M for a little over 8 years and Venture since they started a little over 4 years ago. If you want a film that will hold up over time then 3M is the only way to go. It is the best film on the market hands down.
Its does have a little more texture (orange peel) then Venture but holds up much, much better. 3M has a hard coat to protect the film while Venture has a Top Coat. The Top Coat is very thin and can scratch real easy. Gets eaten up by bug stains and bird droppings as well. These things can be worked out but its a contant battle and not worth it when you can get a film like 3M that will hold up without any constant care. 3M covers labor on the warranty too. If there is a problem you are not out of pocket like with the Venture film. I could go on and on but I think you get the point. There is a reason 3M has the name they do in the business. They are the kings of paint protection film. Many have tried to get there over the years but keep falling short. Some very short.

Venture yellows real quick. They all do since thats the nature of urathane but 3M does much better in this area. You will only see it on white and light silver cars. The 3M film has more texture but has a better shine as well. Which would you rather have. A dull bra or a shinny one with texture you have to look for. Its not that bad. We warranty 65% of the Venture we put on due to flaws in the film. We may warranty 3% of the 3M.

I still use both but we only use Venture when we have to use the 58" film to cover full hoods that are large. Just too much risk and worries with the film all the time in my opinion. Did that a few years ago and now its been nothing but warranty work. They rely on making the film smooth and not on quality control or overall film quality. Its your money and your choice. Just a little info to throw around from someone that has been laying the film for a long time.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by ClearBra_Guy
I have used 3M for a little over 8 years and Venture since they started a little over 4 years ago. If you want a film that will hold up over time then 3M is the only way to go. It is the best film on the market hands down.
Its does have a little more texture (orange peel) then Venture but holds up much, much better. 3M has a hard coat to protect the film while Venture has a Top Coat. The Top Coat is very thin and can scratch real easy. Gets eaten up by bug stains and bird droppings as well. These things can be worked out but its a contant battle and not worth it when you can get a film like 3M that will hold up without any constant care. 3M covers labor on the warranty too. If there is a problem you are not out of pocket like with the Venture film. I could go on and on but I think you get the point. There is a reason 3M has the name they do in the business. They are the kings of paint protection film. Many have tried to get there over the years but keep falling short. Some very short.

Venture yellows real quick. They all do since thats the nature of urathane but 3M does much better in this area. You will only see it on white and light silver cars. The 3M film has more texture but has a better shine as well. Which would you rather have. A dull bra or a shinny one with texture you have to look for. Its not that bad. We warranty 65% of the Venture we put on due to flaws in the film. We may warranty 3% of the 3M.

I still use both but we only use Venture when we have to use the 58" film to cover full hoods that are large. Just too much risk and worries with the film all the time in my opinion. Did that a few years ago and now its been nothing but warranty work. They rely on making the film smooth and not on quality control or overall film quality. Its your money and your choice. Just a little info to throw around from someone that has been laying the film for a long time.
Wow thanks for the reply, looks like 3M will be the one for me then. Any idea how much I should be paying? I'm looking for full coverage of my 08 G35.

Thanks!
Nick

Old 09-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Every area is different. I have seem them as low as $450 and all the way up to $850.00. I do that car for $525 with the larger sized hood and fenders. We don't do dealer work though so give the public dealer pricing. Most of our work is exotics so those fill in the gaps.

The thing to keep in mind is that the install is the most important part. You want to make sure they wrap the edges of the hood and fenders. Not only does it look better but will protect better too. You also want to make sure they are using the 24" film on the hood. 18" wont cut it on these cars. They need the larger sized film. If you want to find a installer the 3M site has a dealer listing or you can check out www.justppf.com. They have a pretty good dealer listing with good installers.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:46 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skip ventureshield. i got it on my bumper when i was looking for a quick fix after i got it painted and i regret not waiting for my 3m installer. the rest of my car has 3m and it's no comparison.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:53 PM
I don't want anyone to think that the Venture Shield is garbage. There are just better options out there. I have been through all their changes over the years. They have come a long ways and have gotten better. They are just a far leap from getting to the quality of the 3M product. The kits they provide are not a good fit as well. Most Venture dealers are using the kits as well.

3M started this product and has far more experience with it. Everyone else has been chasing them since day one. The orange peel is there to keep the film consistant when installing. The newer cars with tight contours put a lot of stress on the film. The orange peel keeps the film from getting marked up when pulling and stretching the film around these contours. Keeps the marks down or much less noticeable. They could make a smooth film at any time. There is a reason they dont. Its not a problem at either rate. Most cars have more orange peel then the film anyways. Not that it maters but they also own Venture Shield. Still waiting on some positive changes to the Venture film from this.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:58 PM
3M owns VS?! wow that's seriously surprising.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by 1nickatnite1
3M owns VS?! wow that's seriously surprising.
They did this late last year. They wanted the tape division. Venture Shield came with it.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:24 PM
I heard 3m bought out venture.