Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Undertray...Yay...or...Nay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undertray...Yay...or...Nay?

Alright guys I need your input on some things. My car is in the body shop right now getting a new front bumper. The problem my painter is running into is that there is not spot on my front bumper to attach the undertray to. Some people mentioned to me I can just roll without the undertray. Is this a possible solution, or is the undertray necessary? Another solution I have is to zip-tie the undertray to the bumper. The only problem I see with that is when it comes time to do a oil change, it would be a hassle to remove the undertray. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 03-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
I don't use the undertray with my nismo front.

Just ditch it .

Old 03-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's really only there to keep debris, mostly heavy debris from getting chucked up into that area, also to add some mild aerodynamics.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
It fits my Kuruma Z.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
I need mine and recommend it if you are lowered. Can't holes be drilled into the bottom?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Im kinda of in the same boat. My coupe is in for a bit of front end damage.
But i want it replaced. If your lowered Id recommend it. I pulled it off because it got damaged while driving thru some repaving / construction that had un-even lanes.
About 3 weeks after i took it off my belts started squeaking bad and the coupe had to go to the dealer for new belts. Now its in body shop for an accident and Im having insurance replace it.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:04 AM
I didn't reuse mine.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:13 AM
two things

1. What front bumper to you have? the undertray worked fine with my kuruma Z, i just dremelled out the bumper a bit, put the stock clips back in place, then drilled it. EZmode.

2. you dont have to take off the undertray to do an oil change... it just takes a few more seconds to unscrew the oil filter cuz your hand is at a weird angle

Old 03-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by lekker_droom
it's really only there to keep debris, mostly heavy debris from getting chucked up into that area, also to add some mild aerodynamics.
+1
its there to keep stuff from getting up in there ..

I say you find a way to keep it ..

Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by visibiliti
two things

1. What front bumper to you have? the undertray worked fine with my kuruma Z, i just dremelled out the bumper a bit, put the stock clips back in place, then drilled it. EZmode.

2. you dont have to take off the undertray to do an oil change... it just takes a few more seconds to unscrew the oil filter cuz your hand is at a weird angle
I can't quite remember since it's been a few months since I changed my oil, but isn't the undertray covering the oil drain location?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm stuck replacing my under-tray at least twice a year from driving around so low in Brooklyn. Sucks really, I just feel like Im constantly throwing money out.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by donpisto
I can't quite remember since it's been a few months since I changed my oil, but isn't the undertray covering the oil drain location?
Sorta. I have an early '03 coupe and with mine at least, with the undertray attached, there is this cutout in it that i can stick my hand way up in to unscrew the oil filter... and then when all the oil shot out the path of the stream completely missed the tray and came out the "cutout" area.

dunno if its the same for every year?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by visibiliti
Sorta. I have an early '03 coupe and with mine at least, with the undertray attached, there is this cutout in it that i can stick my hand way up in to unscrew the oil filter... and then when all the oil shot out the path of the stream completely missed the tray and came out the "cutout" area.

dunno if its the same for every year?
Same cutout in my 03 sedan.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 AM
mao
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i say try to leave it if you can find a way. By keeping it, you'll only reinforce the front bumper even more; not only is your bumper reinforced at the side where your fender meets your bumper and along the top of your bumper, but also the bottom where your undertray is located.

this prevents your bumper from becoming wobbly at high speeds when your car is on the fwy.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:17 AM
If they overlap, they'll need to drill holes on the underside of the bumper to attach it. If they don't meet/overlap, you might just have to roll without the undertray.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.