Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How to paint a Stillen CF Hood?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to paint a Stillen CF Hood?

I would be reluctant to paint a CF hood. But a clear-coated black CF hood on a car of a different color looks strange to me. Is there any special prep required to paint a CF hood, other than knocking the shine off of it before painting?

I wonder what a Stillen CF hood would look like coated with the car's body color, except for the hump, which would be left with the clear finish to show the black CF weave underneath.

The body color could be applied to cover all the clear-coat on the hood, but "fade-to-black" as it came into contact with the base of the hump. The entire perimeter around the base of the hump would be a transition zone, fading from body color to clear-coat (black) as it progressed up the side of the hump.

I wonder if someone could photoshop a picture of a Stillen CF hood to show this effect?

Your thoughts?

'03 G35s 5AT, Garnet Fire/Willow
Staggered 18" SSR GT1/Bridgestone PP S03
Eibach Springs/Sways, Stillen 2-pc BBK
Stillen Intake & SS Cat-Back Dual Exhaust

Old 10-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Re: How to paint a Stillen CF Hood?

well first off you want to make sure you got the cf hood that you can paint. Stillen has 2 hoods one you can paint and the other you cant.

Old 10-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Re: How to paint a Stillen CF Hood?

I'm not sure that's right, Hector. Stillen offers two hoods, a CF hood and a fiberglass hood.

Typically, one would not paint the CF hood only because one would want all the black CF weave to be visible through the clearcoat. But you *can* paint CF if you choose, with proper preparation.

Stillen's fiberglass hood is prepped for painting, as it would look like crap unpainted anyway. If you intend to paint a hood, you'd buy the cheaper fiberglass hood. It's a no-brainer.

What I'm interested in seeing is the CF hood only partially painted (to match the body color), with the humps left unpainted. The unpainted humps, of course, would show the black CF weave through the unpainted clearcoat.

Lastly, the transition from painted hood to unpainted humps would be a fade-to-black effect.

Anybody able to photoshop this effect?

Thank you.

'03 G35s 5AT, Garnet Fire/Willow
Staggered 18" SSR GT1/Bridgestone PP S03
Eibach Springs/Sways, Stillen 2-pc BBK
Stillen Intake & SS Cat-Back Dual Exhaust