Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Plasti-Dip on body panels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HenryLee
I say Doet and prove people wrong. Post some pictures. I want to see the "first Plasti-dip car"
me too lol

Old 01-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well here is a quick snap of the wheels, the finished is amazing, its very smooth and super easy to clean. Its an odd paint to touch, I also found it repels water better than normal paint. so you just rinse em and they air dry without water marks.

Sorry quality sucks b/c I used my iphone.

Name:  flatb.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  31.8 KB

Honestly, if you going to hate.. just don't even bother posting. Ohh and many matte/flat black car use vinyl.. because it protects the original paint and gives the current owner the desired look. Like myself|(The roof, and trunk). But for experiments sake lets see if a spray on vinyl, in effect, produces the same outcome.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
vinyl does not equal plastidip....

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/files/38046msds.pdf

Youre on a forum, if you post, expect replies whether you like them or not.

I still think its garbage to use it to paint car parts.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Using it in small areas where no one is going to touch it and nothing is going to hit it, then its OK (not the best) but ok. For example emblems, does it work quick and easy and look good? yes.. is it better to paint them black, yes. for window trim, does it work? yes.. is better to use vinyl or paint.. yes... The only place I have used plasti dip was on my rear diffuser, It help up well and looked good, but once I had the chance, I did it the right way and did a vinyl overlay. I just used the plati dip to see if I liked the look. Doing a whole car is a different story. Im telling you man, there are to many moving parts to coat a whole car with it. you are going to open a door and peel a layer off, someone is going to rub up against your car and peel it, your going to bring it to a car wash and its all going to peel off when they wash it. Do a vinyl wrap or get it painted matte black..

Old 01-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by zoop425
Using it in small areas where no one is going to touch it and nothing is going to hit it, then its OK (not the best) but ok. For example emblems, does it work quick and easy and look good? yes.. is it better to paint them black, yes. for window trim, does it work? yes.. is better to use vinyl or paint.. yes... The only place I have used plasti dip was on my rear diffuser, It help up well and looked good, but once I had the chance, I did it the right way and did a vinyl overlay. I just used the plati dip to see if I liked the look. Doing a whole car is a different story. Im telling you man, there are to many moving parts to coat a whole car with it. you are going to open a door and peel a layer off, someone is going to rub up against your car and peel it, your going to bring it to a car wash and its all going to peel off when they wash it. Do a vinyl wrap or get it painted matte black..
Quoted for the truth

Old 01-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
this thread makes my head hurt

Old 01-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by zoop425
your going to bring it to a car wash and its all going to peel off when they wash it

That has a lip to peel from. what about when it does not?

Its made for tools, objects exposed often to chemicals, excessive pressure, heat, abrasive materials. Ohh its a flat finish. so there is no glossy shine to worry about. brush up on it all you'd like. please.

Normal paint, its shiny and sparkly. It needs to be pampered. Its not chemical resistant, its not great with pressure, ohh if there is dust and you wipe it.. you get swirls.. not so shiny and sparkly. last of all heat, can discolor it amongst many things.

please bring the burn, only your paints going to feel the pain. mines got a nice protective coat. If she ever gets a little ugly. a 30 min TLC session and you couldn't tell.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
You're aware plastidip shares many chemical that are also found in paint thinner right?

What the hell is up with the flat trunk and ****? That looks sooo wack

Old 01-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
Ricers will be ricers.....

as long as you think it looks good....

plasti-dipping a once $40k+ car with $12 rubber paint.... might as well go to Walmart and buy some $4 cans of spray paint and do it.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Normal paint shares chemicals in paint thinner.. its paint thinner... ever wonder how you make the right consistency paint.. it would just be a thick goop otherwise.

I understand your view point G2FLIP4, but honestly I rocked the clean all black look for a while and now im bored. Its really not very rice. Stock wheels, stock body... just some new black tones. tuner is what comes to mind for me.

Either way its going well, I have seen people with 6+ months of paint use and it stays true to colour.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That rolls pic should be more than enough reason to never touch plastidip ever again.

*goes to buy stock in plastidip for a quick profit*

Old 01-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DogStar
That rolls pic should be more than enough reason to never touch plastidip ever again.

*goes to buy stock in plastidip for a quick profit*
jokes already been made bud

Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Bump for results of a full body plastidip job...

Old 12-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Ok I never got around to getting a body panel painted myself. But I have done many more grills, side mirrors and so on. Had great results, never damaged paint beneath.

some friends plastidipped their whole car for a autoshow, it wasn't on longer than 3 days but it looked amazing, The paint was fine underneath, Not sure how it would standup to daily conditions. but if its anything like the rims and grills I have done. It would be just fine given its applied properly.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Ok I never got around to getting a body panel painted myself. But I have done many more grills, side mirrors and so on. Had great results, never damaged paint beneath.

some friends plastidipped their whole car for a autoshow, it wasn't on longer than 3 days but it looked amazing, The paint was fine underneath, Not sure how it would standup to daily conditions. but if its anything like the rims and grills I have done. It would be just fine given its applied properly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plasti-Dip on body panels?