Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Fender Roll Fail? Pics inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Fender Roll Fail? Pics inside

Wasn't sure if this should go here or in Care&Detailing... if mods feel the need to move it then please do so.

So I got my fenders rolled at a shop this past weekend at Performance Chassis in Cary, NC. Seemed pretty reputable and had not heard bad things before. He had the nifty roller tool as well which was helpful. Charged 50 per corner and I only had the rears done.

Not sure he went down far enough but seemed to have... close to halfway around fender. If this isn't far enough down someone tell me so I can get him to go farther. Sorry for crap iPhone pics.

Results looked pretty good but alas there was a problem... passenger side rear.

Now I've looked around on fixes for chips, scratches, and cracks. I cannot get to a dealer to get the KH3 paint and its supposed to rain/snow this week. RUST: DO NOT WANT! So I've got a ghetto fabulous pic above for a fix that ran me 72 cents. This is not permanent. Its just black electrical tape.

What I want peoples opinions on is can I fix this with the touch up paint given its location and size or do I need to take this to a body shop and let them work on it for untold dollars that I really cannot afford right now?

Thanks for the help up front!

Old 01-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Uhh you need to get that idiot to pay for it. THAT is not supposed to happen. The guy obviously didnt heat it up enough anddd rolled it to far.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
ps non blurry pics would help

Old 01-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
The short answer is yes - the best method would be take to body shop and have done properly, especially since you live in a place where they salt the roads. However, touch up paint will cover the exposed metal, it will work for awhile, but likely will start rusting at some point. If your funds aren't available to do that now - then touch it up for the time being and get it fixed soon when you have the $$$

I agree with the above as well - shop should pay for that - that's why you take it to a place to do it for you, it's their *** if they screw it up, not you!

Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Damn that sucks bro.... He didn't offer to pay to repaint the fender

Old 01-23-2011, 01:14 PM
At the time I didn't ask about repainting the fender and went ahead and paid for the work. When I first looked at it that little piece that you see sticking off in the first pic was kind of over it and it didnt look bad just a tiny scratch. Now however... much worse.

I didn't sign any kind of paperwork saying "we're not responsible for damages, etc etc". So I'm thinking I could take it to him and say "hey look man its going to cost too much to replace this you did it you fix it"?

Old 01-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by DogStar
At the time I didn't ask about repainting the fender and went ahead and paid for the work. When I first looked at it that little piece that you see sticking off in the first pic was kind of over it and it didnt look bad just a tiny scratch. Now however... much worse.

I didn't sign any kind of paperwork saying "we're not responsible for damages, etc etc". So I'm thinking I could take it to him and say "hey look man its going to cost too much to replace this you did it you fix it"?

I would be pissed and go back the same day

Old 01-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Hialeahzprep
I would be pissed and go back the same day
Closed on Sunday. Had it done yesterday. Will be contacting them on Monday.

Lets just say for a minute he fights me on this. What should I do then? Trying to figure out what terms to use so he backs down and does the work pretty quick.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Lol.... You should of pointed it out same day before paying.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by nogoodname
Lol.... You should of pointed it out same day before paying.
Hell he pointed it out to me. He said "this happened when I was doing it but a little touch up paint would be fine". Then today I noticed it was a lot worse. Scratch vs crack... big difference imo.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Talk to him in a nice way , and see where it goes from there

Old 01-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by DogStar
Hell he pointed it out to me. He said "this happened when I was doing it but a little touch up paint would be fine". Then today I noticed it was a lot worse. Scratch vs crack... big difference imo.
We have a saying here on DRIVER that fits this thread...."YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!" Check with anyone that's had their fenders rolled, that's what they'll tell you....
Gary

Old 01-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
We have a saying here on DRIVER that fits this thread...."YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!" Check with anyone that's had their fenders rolled, that's what they'll tell you....
Gary
lol I've seen that many many times before driver but point taken.

I could try to save face and say that if I'm going to screw up somewhere this shouldn't be too bad to repair but bottom line is I goofed and should have talked to him about it then and there.

Will be calling him tomorrow to see what can be done.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I would start out being over-polite w/ something like: "Man, I went to get some touch up paint for the little crack but later discovered that it had grew to a rather noticeable chip. Is there anything you can do for me?"

Keep in mind that you paid him for the service, therefore he should should be liable for work performed (if he's a professional shop) and is bound by local statutes. Otherwise, you could have attempted it yourself w/ the chance of doing the same damage for free!

If he doesn't accept responsibility, then I'd make him aware of the negative consequenses (bad publicity, possible civil suit, egging his house etc.)

GL!

Old 01-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Received 227 Likes on 143 Posts
did he roll your fenders with a baseball bat?

jkjk

yeah i d get the shop to get on that ASAP

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fender Roll Fail? Pics inside