Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

DIY: Android Tablet Navigation Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 12:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what is the exact model number of that samsung tablet a6??? cant seem to find with the right dimensions.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:16 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gill1606
what is the exact model number of that samsung tablet a6??? cant seem to find with the right dimensions.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:39 AM
It's the 7 inch one right...there's no way the 10.1 inch screen tab is going to fit.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:43 AM
It's the 7 inch one right...there's no way the 10.1 inch screen tab is going to fit.
Yes 7in.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:52 AM
Ok thanks a ton! I did find another option with Vizio called their tablet remote xr6p10 model, it's a 6 inch screen, so its smaller slightly, has great dual speakers, 16 GB int memory. And 2 GB ram, .5 more than the samsung..

But the catches are its LCD not tft screen, no GPS system internally---I guess you can use mirror apps for this from phone to tablet and project GPS that way.

Not sure which to get, but this Samsung takes it's own sim card so you'll get 4g LTE and will never have to use a wifi hotspot, that's awesome.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Ok thanks a ton! I did find another option with Vizio called their tablet remote xr6p10 model, it's a 6 inch screen, so its smaller slightly, has great dual speakers, 16 GB int memory. And 2 GB ram, .5 more than the samsung..

But the catches are its LCD not tft screen, no GPS system internally---I guess you can use mirror apps for this from phone to tablet and project GPS that way.

Not sure which to get, but this Samsung takes it's own sim card so you'll get 4g LTE and will never have to use a wifi hotspot, that's awesome.
So this Vizio, Fire7 tablet, many LG phones were some of the contenders, the issues with tablets was GPS and for the rest was price and fitment.
I put a ton of research into this and so far the table is still working perfectly and satisfied my standards. My only issue has been battery life due to the fact that I dont drive my car as much, it doesnt give the tablet much time to charge and the fact that when I sell the car it will have to go with it.
you wont use the speakers as much as you think.

Samsung is the only way to go for the OEM GPS pop up screen, the double din is another story.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by BULL
So this Vizio, Fire7 tablet, many LG phones were some of the contenders, the issues with tablets was GPS and for the rest was price and fitment.
I put a ton of research into this and so far the table is still working perfectly and satisfied my standards. My only issue has been battery life due to the fact that I dont drive my car as much, it doesnt give the tablet much time to charge and the fact that when I sell the car it will have to go with it.
you wont use the speakers as much as you think.

Samsung is the only way to go for the OEM GPS pop up screen, the double din is another story.
Yeah I'm starting to agree with you, the Samsung is just the better all rounded tablet, maybe charging by USB would be more efficient than wireless..?

Old 04-11-2019, 05:13 PM
Yeah I'm starting to agree with you, the Samsung is just the better all rounded tablet, maybe charging by USB would be more efficient than wireless..?
I ended making a rectangle hole in the side for charging, I did have problems with the Chinese adapter that gave me intermittent charging every once in a while.
No more issues. I do recommend keeping the batt topped due to the difficulty off turning it on after it fully dies.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:31 PM
I ended making a rectangle hole in the side for charging, I did have problems with the Chinese adapter that gave me intermittent charging every once in a while.
No more issues. I do recommend keeping the batt topped due to the difficulty off turning it on after it fully dies.
i will likely cut holes where the charger is and where the power button is in case I need to maually turn it on after it dies. I think the 90 degree angle usb-c chargers would be perfect in this situation due to small space. I will also cut the back tray's top part and back part so it can breath better.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:27 AM
i will likely cut holes where the charger is and where the power button is in case I need to maually turn it on after it dies. I think the 90 degree angle usb-c chargers would be perfect in this situation due to small space. I will also cut the back tray's top part and back part so it can breath better.
This tablet is micro usb and not C. As for the power button, I ended up leaving the back cover for the infiniti screen off. This way it breathes better and I can use a credit card to turn it on. Very simple.

The following users liked this post:
gill1606 (04-13-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 04:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quick question, im trying to do this but i dont have the nav or controls and was going to buy them on ebay. do i need to also buy a wiring harness for the nav or can i somehow get rid of the motor and just lift it up and down manually when i want the screen?

Old 07-23-2019, 12:13 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
04 6mt Coupe - motordyne 5/16 ART pipes TDX2; KWv2; Hotchkiss; custom seats.
Originally Posted by g35_joe32
quick question, im trying to do this but i dont have the nav or controls and was going to buy them on ebay. do i need to also buy a wiring harness for the nav or can i somehow get rid of the motor and just lift it up and down manually when i want the screen?
You don't need a harness if you're just using the screen tray to hold a phone/tablet as the connector is separate from the screen to DVD connection.

Wrathernaut has a sticky thread in AV on this topic, and it covers the power connector wiring.
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ment-info.html

Old 07-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by g35_joe32
You dont need a wiring harness realistically. You can cut into the harness and connect power and ground. The rest is controlled by the button. You will need the tray at least, If you want it to look decent you'll need navi controls and the navi radio face. Even though they look similar they're not.

Originally Posted by TokkioDrift
You don't need a harness if you're just using the screen tray to hold a phone/tablet as the connector is separate from the screen to DVD connection.

Again, if you're using the navi tray and want a cleaner install you'll need the Navi controls and Navi radio face place as they're different.

Wrathernaut has a sticky thread in AV on this topic, and it covers the power connector wiring.
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ment-info.html

Old 07-26-2022, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupe
Pantalla GPS

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to the forum and I wanted to share my the retrofit I made for the 05-06 navigation screens.

I've owned my sedan for 9 months now and since I've research every available option for these cars, one of these is the OEM Navi Unit.
Not only it accentuates the interior better but it adds infinite possibilities as far as entertainment. This would all be a dream unless I could find an affordable Navi unit.

About 3 months later I found a donor Coupe at my local yard and decided to give it my undivided attention to the unit itself. I learned that the harness is incorporated in the main dash harness so right there I realized an equal transplant was out of the question. I also learned that the control unit is separated from the screen and occupies the space in the top glove box in our cars. I knew that I would not be purchasing this due to many things, price, dead weight and it would take the little bit of space we already struggle with.
I was left with this massive block of Navi/CC/Radio, I took as much wiring as I could and off I went.
Out the door with the whole unit for $25 they priced it as a OEM RADIO. ( Don't expect the same)

I spent weeks in G35driver looking at threads and threads on this, and after dismantling the unit I realized I would be using a Phone/Tablet in it's place, technology has advanced quite a bit in 12 years

I tried many phones and tablets, it was quite a journey from size to OS to placement of buttons and charging slots it was not an easy decision.
I Narrowed it down to 2 HTC phones, 1 Huwawei phone and 1 Samsung tablet, in the end the tablet took the throphy.

Samsung Tab A6 $60 (Used)
Samsung Mini Wireless charging pad $20
Wireless receiver + extra cables $20
OEM NAVI unit $25
Materials, Cut off wheels, tape, zip ties, $25

You'll spend at least $100-125 in said above, the determining budget killer or saver will be how cheap you can get the navi unit. If your car already brought navigation

Difficulty 6/10

As you can see it's a nice fit, it requires some trimming of the plastic for better fit.

Figuring out the charging port was much trickier due to it almost not having any room for a regular micro usb cable however this reminded me of wireless receivers back in the pre wireless charging days.
Ebay has tons of these flat receivers that help with the space. I went with one of these, very inexpensive.

Then was figuring out the wireless pad, I chose a Samsung mini pad because of space. You can use which ever you want in this situation being that this will go taped to the back of the tablet to make contact with the pad.

It Works!!!

Now for fitment, the metal tray that the OEM LCD goes in needs to be trimmed to accommodate the screen, you can use the metal guides that the plate bolts to for reference, you need to cut the tray flush to the guides (see pic). Some Double sided tape will provide the cushion that this plate needs to hold the tablet secure. Too tight and you'll have issues with touch sensitivity. Pretty much trim until the holes on the plastic trim align with the metal plate.
This is the most crucial part as this will determine the look and functionality of the tablet.

For Power:
You will have to cut a slot on both the metal plate and plastic housing for the power wire to go down in the unit.
Route the power wire under the motor and out the back.

For voltage you can ad a separate board that provides 5v to the tablet, I kept it simple and used an usb adapter and drew power from the front lighter adapter. I made it like this to be able to remove it once it reaches 100% to prevent memory.
Power routing will entirely be up to you. I chose the simplest route for me

As for Wiring, the Navi Switch which is the controls that light up need to be connected to the illumination wiring, I chose to splice into the climate control wiring.
And for the Up/Down switch you'll need to splice the lt grn and red/wht to power and blk to ground for basic up and down. The other two wires you can connect so the navi goes up and down by itself. I avoided this because if the limit switch goes bad no more up and down.

Once installed, test the illumination of the navi controls and function of the up/down switch.
You'll need to download offline applications if you don't plan on using a hotspot
It works great with OBD apps, also a POWER OFF app to turn screen off because controls will be hidden, to turn the tablet on again just touch the home button on the tablet.

Enjoy!
saludos tengo un infinity gt 35 2003 Coupe y no trae la pantalla original gps me gusta mucho la pantalla compre una en ebay
Pero mi auto no trae el arnés y no puedo conectar la pantalla
La pantalla no trae conector
Me gustaría saber cuales son los cables de alimentación
Para poder entender la pantalla si me pueden ayudar se los agradecería
Para sacar los cables y no perder mi dinero saludos.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupe
Pantalla GPS

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to the forum and I wanted to share my the retrofit I made for the 05-06 navigation screens.

I've owned my sedan for 9 months now and since I've research every available option for these cars, one of these is the OEM Navi Unit.
Not only it accentuates the interior better but it adds infinite possibilities as far as entertainment. This would all be a dream unless I could find an affordable Navi unit.

About 3 months later I found a donor Coupe at my local yard and decided to give it my undivided attention to the unit itself. I learned that the harness is incorporated in the main dash harness so right there I realized an equal transplant was out of the question. I also learned that the control unit is separated from the screen and occupies the space in the top glove box in our cars. I knew that I would not be purchasing this due to many things, price, dead weight and it would take the little bit of space we already struggle with.
I was left with this massive block of Navi/CC/Radio, I took as much wiring as I could and off I went.
Out the door with the whole unit for $25 they priced it as a OEM RADIO. ( Don't expect the same)

I spent weeks in G35driver looking at threads and threads on this, and after dismantling the unit I realized I would be using a Phone/Tablet in it's place, technology has advanced quite a bit in 12 years

I tried many phones and tablets, it was quite a journey from size to OS to placement of buttons and charging slots it was not an easy decision.
I Narrowed it down to 2 HTC phones, 1 Huwawei phone and 1 Samsung tablet, in the end the tablet took the throphy.

Samsung Tab A6 $60 (Used)
Samsung Mini Wireless charging pad $20
Wireless receiver + extra cables $20
OEM NAVI unit $25
Materials, Cut off wheels, tape, zip ties, $25

You'll spend at least $100-125 in said above, the determining budget killer or saver will be how cheap you can get the navi unit. If your car already brought navigation

Difficulty 6/10

As you can see it's a nice fit, it requires some trimming of the plastic for better fit.

Figuring out the charging port was much trickier due to it almost not having any room for a regular micro usb cable however this reminded me of wireless receivers back in the pre wireless charging days.
Ebay has tons of these flat receivers that help with the space. I went with one of these, very inexpensive.

Then was figuring out the wireless pad, I chose a Samsung mini pad because of space. You can use which ever you want in this situation being that this will go taped to the back of the tablet to make contact with the pad.

It Works!!!

Now for fitment, the metal tray that the OEM LCD goes in needs to be trimmed to accommodate the screen, you can use the metal guides that the plate bolts to for reference, you need to cut the tray flush to the guides (see pic). Some Double sided tape will provide the cushion that this plate needs to hold the tablet secure. Too tight and you'll have issues with touch sensitivity. Pretty much trim until the holes on the plastic trim align with the metal plate.
This is the most crucial part as this will determine the look and functionality of the tablet.

For Power:
You will have to cut a slot on both the metal plate and plastic housing for the power wire to go down in the unit.
Route the power wire under the motor and out the back.

For voltage you can ad a separate board that provides 5v to the tablet, I kept it simple and used an usb adapter and drew power from the front lighter adapter. I made it like this to be able to remove it once it reaches 100% to prevent memory.
Power routing will entirely be up to you. I chose the simplest route for me

As for Wiring, the Navi Switch which is the controls that light up need to be connected to the illumination wiring, I chose to splice into the climate control wiring.
And for the Up/Down switch you'll need to splice the lt grn and red/wht to power and blk to ground for basic up and down. The other two wires you can connect so the navi goes up and down by itself. I avoided this because if the limit switch goes bad no more up and down.

Once installed, test the illumination of the navi controls and function of the up/down switch.
You'll need to download offline applications if you don't plan on using a hotspot
It works great with OBD apps, also a POWER OFF app to turn screen off because controls will be hidden, to turn the tablet on again just touch the home button on the tablet.

Enjoy!
saludos tengo un infinity gt 35 2003 Coupe y no trae la pantalla original gps me gusta mucho la pantalla compre una en ebay
Pero mi auto no trae el arnés y no puedo conectar la pantalla
La pantalla no trae conector
Me gustaría saber cuales son los cables de alimentación
Para poder entender la pantalla si me pueden ayudar se los agradecería
Para sacar los cables y no perder mi dinero saludos.