Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Buzzing in speakers when dashlights are dimmed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buzzing in speakers when dashlights are dimmed

I just bought my son a 2003 Infiniti G35. It is a great one owner car and lived at a dealership for service most of its life. Other than the passenger front door speaker doesnt work. I noticed last night as I was driving it and went to dim the dashlights that when you move the control there is a horrible buzzing/humming in the speakers. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Almost seems like there is a short or something but no fuses blow or anything just the buzz/hum.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:58 PM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
Does it buzz when u switch to Disc mode too?

Old 09-11-2018, 05:41 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
I used to have a problem where I'd get whining from my speakers only when the headlights were on, and the whining would go away for awhile if I flicked my lights on and off. This stopped happening after I cleaned my grounds, but I did a bunch of other related work (replaced alternator, some sensors) at the same time so can't be certain.

The stock Nissan grounding system isn't very thorough and can cause electrical problems as these cars age and metal on metal connections corrode over time. An easy thing to do would be to go through all the grounds in the FSM, clean the connecting surfaces with a wire brush to remove rust and paint, add dielectric grease, and reinstall. It couldn't hurt to add some extra ground wires to various things, you should be able to find a DIY on this site.

Tell your son to keep some money in reserve to replace the amp/head unit if it hasn't been done already - they're known to be unreliable after a number of years. If I were you I'd keep an eye on the classifieds to buy some cheap used gear before it goes out for good.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
Does it buzz when u switch to Disc mode too?
I will have to try that tonight.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
I used to have a problem where I'd get whining from my speakers only when the headlights were on, and the whining would go away for awhile if I flicked my lights on and off. This stopped happening after I cleaned my grounds, but I did a bunch of other related work (replaced alternator, some sensors) at the same time so can't be certain.

The stock Nissan grounding system isn't very thorough and can cause electrical problems as these cars age and metal on metal connections corrode over time. An easy thing to do would be to go through all the grounds in the FSM, clean the connecting surfaces with a wire brush to remove rust and paint, add dielectric grease, and reinstall. It couldn't hurt to add some extra ground wires to various things, you should be able to find a DIY on this site.

Tell your son to keep some money in reserve to replace the amp/head unit if it hasn't been done already - they're known to be unreliable after a number of years. If I were you I'd keep an eye on the classifieds to buy some cheap used gear before it goes out for good.
Ok thanks I will go through those hopefully in the next week or so.

Good looking out on the amp/head unit. We wanted to upgrade to a different radio but damn didn't realize you had to replace the entire trim piece including the environmental control panel as well!

Old 09-12-2018, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Yep, you are looking at $250 just for that trim piece but it's so worth it. Oem finish and not that crappy metra copy.

The following users liked this post:
embmtxatl (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I agree attack the grounds first and go from there. Also test different modes.

The following users liked this post:
embmtxatl (09-12-2018)
Old 01-02-2019, 08:45 PM
Following up on this.....Still get the speaker buzz but only in the RH front door speaker and tweeter. For Christmas we bought a Kenwood double din radio and I installed it. Now I get the buzz in the RH front door speaker and tweeter constantly. So i disconnected the speakers so the noise stops. Looking at the wiring diagrams there are 4 grounds side the car that are connected through the lights and radio. All those grounds look clean and no issues. I did find a ground under the drivers side dash by the steering column. It had a slight bit of corrosion on the metal it connects to but nothing that looked to bad.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Old 01-02-2019, 09:44 PM
Do u have the bose system in your car? Are u still using the original amplifier?

Old 01-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Yes its the Bose system with the factory amp

Old 01-03-2019, 04:27 AM
Originally Posted by embmtxatl
Yes its the Bose system with the factory amp
I bet one of the channels on your factory amp is busted.

If youre good with electronics, u can test it out by tapping into the wires before the amp to see if it still buzzes.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:28 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
I had an intermittent buzzing in my speakers. It turned out to be that the negative signal cable to the amp had come unwrapped from the positive and wasn't cancelling out the RF properly. Wrapped wire, shrink wrapped, fixed.

If I were you I'd try and find somebody to swap an amp with (or just buy a newer, better, more reliable used aftermarket amp) to try and isolate the issue to either the car or the amp.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:57 PM
2003 G35 Coupe, Red
Originally Posted by cswlightning
I had an intermittent buzzing in my speakers. It turned out to be that the negative signal cable to the amp had come unwrapped from the positive and wasn't cancelling out the RF properly. Wrapped wire, shrink wrapped, fixed.

If I were you I'd try and find somebody to swap an amp with (or just buy a newer, better, more reliable used aftermarket amp) to try and isolate the issue to either the car or the amp.
Where did you look to see the wire was unwrapped? I have this issue but it is luckily intermittent. I am looking at a grounding kit and now doing some more research to see if there are other possibilities.

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2019, 06:54 PM
Bypass the Bose amp. Im pretty sure thats your problem. U dont even need it anymore since u have an aftermarket head unit.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:50 AM
2003 G35 Coupe, Red
Jumping back into this thread as the issue has arisen for me again. Is there any place where I can see where there are grounds int he car? I can check those points if I know where to look. Going to see about the amp issue with possibly replacing the head unit. I just want to try the ground method first.

Thanks