Notices

Sound Deadening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound Deadening

Anyone do the full car in dynamat or similar product? I just did the trunk cause I thought it sounded flimsy wen you close it and my exhaust sound from the inside got a bit louder and less rattly. I think I will do the bottom of the trunk, rear speaker bar, sides of the trunk and possibly the doors now too.

I did my whole last car. Sounded amazing, especially with the six 12's in the back. I am not going for sound system in the G coupe, but I do want it to be a bit more solid.

Is it pretty straight forward to do this car? Or am I in for lots of pain in the *** compared with my previous american car?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did my doors, rear deck lid, full trunk, and trunk lid. Definitely sounds better and more solid.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
I did under the rear seats, trunk, around rear wheel arches, under the front seats, and around transmission tunnel. User only about 10 to 15 lbs of ultimate b-quiet. Made a noticeable difference. Would not want to go through the trouble again thou.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:09 PM
any particular parts you guys had trouble removing and putting back in?

Old 05-13-2008, 04:42 AM
Some pics... I did the trunk, trunk lid, and doors for now. I will need to go back and do the rear speaker mount and the side panels in the rear seat. Probably the pillars back there too. The plastic is making some rattles from my exhaust. I'll definitely need to stiffen things up back there for my test pipes.

Attached Thumbnails Sound Deadening-door_driver_side.jpg   Sound Deadening-door_passenger_side.jpg   Sound Deadening-trunk.jpg   Sound Deadening-trunk_left.jpg   Sound Deadening-trunk_back_finished.jpg  

Old 05-13-2008, 04:47 AM
and some more pics...

btw for anyone wondering.. that's a thick butyl sound deadening material with a layer of closed-cell foam on top. The foam is a milder version of what is used in homes by airports and such to make the place a bit more sound-tolerant. I definitely noticed a difference going from just the butyl matting to putting a layer of foam on top, although I was skeptical of the foam at first since it's so thin. For people who want to go the extra mile, get some expanding foam sealant and spray it inside the sheet metal/frame, but make sure to cover all the holes and don't spray way too much, because it needs space to dry and expand into. I wouldn't go that route though, because if you plan to do work on the car later, it might make it very tough for various reasons.

I know this project is a bit counter-productive for speed and performance, etc. But really, this added maybe a total of 15 lbs of non-rotational weight at absolute top estimates, while at the same time removing the lion's share of the vibrations coming from the exhaust under the trunk area. The car feels just as fast as it was before lol. In fact, it made it a bit more louder on the outside as all the sound is being deflected back out instead of going through the trunk and up out through the car. In addition, the exhaust note inside the car sounds way better overall now; instead of a rattly and semi-unattractive sound, it is a more defined and burly sound coming from underneath as opposed to all around the car, in the form of rattles and vibrations. It's not really muffled by the sound deadening, which is good, but instead it clears up all the rattle that prevents one from hearing the actual exhaust sounds coming from under.

The best of all is it stopped this annoying metal-on-metal rattle that would come up somewhere from the back/side area of the trunk around 3200-4000rpm, especially in 3rd gear. My friend and I took turns riding with our heads through the back seat hole to determine what was rattling back before this sound deadening job and couldn't nail it down. Added benefit is if I ever decide to get some subwoofers (and add more weight ) and upgrade the speakers, I'll have the proper infrastructure to produce nice sound w/o the headaches of rattles.

Attached Thumbnails Sound Deadening-trunk_upper_right.jpg   Sound Deadening-trunk_right_side_finished.jpg   Sound Deadening-trunk_left_side_finished.jpg   Sound Deadening-trunk_upper_left.jpg   Sound Deadening-trunk_finished.jpg  

Last edited by 425skyline; 05-13-2008 at 05:05 AM.