Notices

rearview mirror rattle (FIXED)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 12:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess that's the last time I go to that dealership. I can't believe how inconsistent different dealerships are. And I don't know about people in the States, but up here in Canada, the majority of the dealerships are horrible. All the media reports keep talking about how highly Infiniti service ranks but that must not be in Canada. My Audi dealer has a valet service where they drive a loaner to my home or work and pickup my car for service (plus there is no charge for service for the first 80,000 kms).

Old 11-11-2005, 10:25 AM
G's Up, Ho's Down
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two questions for Shooter:

1) why did u silicone the buttons? Arent they rubber?
2) has this fixed lasted since u did it?

Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by shooter
I snapped a few pics of my attempt at quieting the noisy mirror

first one shows the mirror in 3 pieces.....i used a small screw driver to separated the 2 halves.....be careful the plastic is soft and will mark....the front half (the half with the buttons) snaps into the back half, there are many little tabs that can be pushed down as you separate the 2 halves

the second pic shows the front half and back side of the buttons....i spread the silicone on the bottom of each button.....spreading it into the recesses of the buttons and let it dry......

the third pic shows all the little plastic posts that support the mirror and card (there must be 25+ posts) ...i put a dab of silicone on each post and let it dry.........not too much, just a little dab...there are 2 posts that insert into the card.....too much silicone will make it harder to push back together (the q-tip in the pic is right over 1 of the posts)

snapped it back together and it sure made a big difference! no more mirror rattles!

Old 11-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tdotG
I lived with the mirror rattle for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything, including glue on the outside without taking the mirror apart (it didn't work). I have definitely tried just turning the music louder, but somedays you just want to hear the exhaust...and that's when I would be reminded why I have such a love/hate sentiment towards this car (compared with my 2003 Audi A4 1.8T, which is gutless but has a fantastic interior). My friends couldn't understand what trick I was showing them, as I drove standard with one hand on the rearview mirror.

Finally I could not stand it anymore and took the mirror apart to apply the silicone. Now, I am definitely not a handy person (or patient for that matter). But the pics here gave me the confidence to give it a go (Thanks again shooter!). Now the rattle is gone and the smile I had for the first month of driving this car is back! Take it from me, this is the way to fix it.

By the way, I think I got taken by my local Infiniti dealer. They charged me labour to apply the felt sticky to the plastic part as described in the TSB. The service advisor said that TSB fixes are only free in the first year of service. He said that it would only be free now if it was a Recall (I have had the car for 2 1/2 years with 50,000 km). Does anyone know if this is true?
Should have found a dealer who is better at getting money out of corp Infiniti
I mentioned to to my dealer, and they jsut replaced the whole unit under warranty

Old 11-12-2005, 01:36 AM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BocaCoupe........just a thin layer of silicone on the buttons to keep them from rattling and yes my mirror fix is till holding up!

now if i could only fix the rattle in my passport!

Old 12-19-2005, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have to use silicone? What about WD 40 or some lithium Greese?

Old 12-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Silicone would be a more permanent fix than grease

Old 03-09-2006, 07:24 PM
lol grease

Old 03-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Did you let the silicone dry completely before putting the mirror back together so you could take it apart again in future or did you do it slightly wet so it would all "harden" together?

Old 03-09-2006, 09:00 PM
bigsash,
I put the mirror back together when the silicone was still soft. If you let the layer of silicone dry first and use too much, the mirror may not snap back together correctly and you could damage the internal parts. Be careful and don't use too much, but if some silicone does squeeze out, just wipe off the excess.

11 months and still no rattles.

shooter

Last edited by shooter; 03-09-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Did you put silicone on the part of the housing that actually touches the mirrorered glass?

Old 03-09-2006, 11:07 PM
I put silicone on the buttons which is located on the front portion (and let this dry), but not on the clips that hold the 2 pieces together or on the mirror. The silicone on the back part (on the posts) was allowed to "set" before assembly. I was careful not to use too much silicone so I didn't deform the parts during assembly.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:36 PM
cool my silicone is drying as we speak. I siliconed around the buttons and on all the posts like you had done, around the edge of the outside plastic cover (the one with buttons on it) I applied a thin strip of Cascade VMAX car audio dampener, so if that doesen't do the trick then nothing will!

thanks for the good info shooter.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:39 PM
np bigsash...........

let us know how it works out!

Old 03-10-2006, 12:10 AM
just snapped em back together it was a really tight fit with the sound dampening foam. I am guessing it is going to work really well. I am gonna go for a drive in 20minutes and will report back.

Old 03-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Fix worked better than I hoped for, even with the bass all the way up (which actually rattles street signs outside of the car) the mirror does not give even the slightest rattle. I think the dampening foam really makes a difference because i put it all around the edge of the inner housing.

Thanks again shooter and all other contributers!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rearview mirror rattle (FIXED)