Notices

rearview mirror rattle (FIXED)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rearview mirror rattle (FIXED)

well, I had the problem with rear view mirror inside of car, and it rattled whenever I went over the rough road.
The botton cover trim(piece that is toward you)were not tightly bonded with the other part, so it made some rattle.
I took dealership to retorque my rear axle and mentioned it with it..
AND they replace with new mirror!! yeah~
I was suprised they did that^^
and after I retorque rear axle, the car feels more right..um, no clicking noise and when it shift, it shift more smoothly.
If you have rattle problem like I did, take it to the dealer and tell them

Old 04-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait im confused, you are talking about two seperate things here right? What about this rear axle re-torquing? What were the symptoms that made you believe you had something wrong there? Because my car "clicks" when I shift the weight of it (ie. when i go into gear and weight transfers back or hit the brakes and weight transfers fwd) Also, my shifting has been getting "notchy" not smooth. Maybe I need this rear axle work done?tell more about it please!!!

Old 04-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
rearview mirror rattle(REMOVED+REPLACED)

Old 04-22-2005, 02:41 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I fixed the mirror rattle myself by taking the two halves of the mirror apart and lining the margins with thin foam tape. I don't trust those mechanics at the dealer to fix rattles ever since they stripped a few bolt threads on my driver door trying to fix the window rattle.

Old 04-22-2005, 08:12 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I snapped a few pics of my attempt at quieting the noisy mirror

first one shows the mirror in 3 pieces.....i used a small screw driver to separated the 2 halves.....be careful the plastic is soft and will mark....the front half (the half with the buttons) snaps into the back half, there are many little tabs that can be pushed down as you separate the 2 halves

the second pic shows the front half and back side of the buttons....i spread the silicone on the bottom of each button.....spreading it into the recesses of the buttons and let it dry......

the third pic shows all the little plastic posts that support the mirror and card (there must be 25+ posts) ...i put a dab of silicone on each post and let it dry.........not too much, just a little dab...there are 2 posts that insert into the card.....too much silicone will make it harder to push back together (the q-tip in the pic is right over 1 of the posts)

snapped it back together and it sure made a big difference! no more mirror rattles!

Attached Thumbnails rearview mirror rattle (FIXED)-dsc02215.jpg   rearview mirror rattle (FIXED)-dsc02219.jpg   rearview mirror rattle (FIXED)-dsc02220.jpg  

Last edited by shooter; 08-16-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you Shooter!! The rearview mirror rattle has been bugging me to no end for 2 years. Two different dealers I brought it to were not able to fix it. In fact the last dealer I went to charged me to try and fix it. The service advisor explained that it has passed the one year new car period and even TSBs are charged labour unless it is a recall. I paid them, they put a little felt on the plastic piece per the TSB and of course the rattle was there when I drove off the lot.

The most irritating thing was that if I just put a finger on the rearview mirror, the rattle would go away. It was so annoying that I almost ripped the mirror off the windshield numerous times while I was driving. Finally, this past weekend, I took my rearview mirror apart and with your great pics, have fixed the problem.

Now if I can only fix the streaking on the passenger window...

The following users liked this post:
matdaddy (05-03-2012)
Old 09-20-2005, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=tdotG]Thank you Shooter!! The rearview mirror rattle has been bugging me to no end for 2 years. Two different dealers I brought it to were not able to fix it. In fact the last dealer I went to charged me to try and fix it. The service advisor explained that it has passed the one year new car period and even TSBs are charged labour unless it is a recall. I paid them, they put a little felt on the plastic piece per the TSB and of course the rattle was there when I drove off the lot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the mirror rattling fix covered under warranty? 4 year 60K miles. I think you shouldn't have to pay them for that.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:31 AM
the pics you have posted are all mess up (probably because the site update)

Is there a way for me to see them?

Old 09-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm doing the same fix this week...

It seems to be inherent to the design....
so if it's replaced, it'll more than likely just come back.

Might as well fix it myself & be done with it.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Shooter: thanks for the tip, I actually tried this but couldn't get the two halves apart... can you repost your pics?

Annu

Old 09-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by shooter
I snapped a few pics of my attempt at quieting the noisy mirror

first one shows the mirror in 3 pieces.....i used a small screw driver to separated the 2 halves.....be careful the plastic is soft and will mark....the front half (the half with the buttons) snaps into the back half, there are many little tabs that can be pushed down as you separate the 2 halves

the second pic shows the front half and back side of the buttons....i spread the silicone on the bottom of each button.....spreading it into the recesses of the buttons and let it dry......

the third pic shows all the little plastic posts that support the mirror and card (there must be 25+ posts) ...i put a dab of silicone on each post and let it dry.........not too much, just a little dab...there are 2 posts that insert into the card.....too much silicone will make it harder to push back together (the q-tip in the pic is right over 1 of the posts)

snapped it back together and it sure made a big difference! no more mirror rattles!

What brand of silicone and what store did you get the silicone, may I ask? The rearview mirror rattle has been bugging me as well, and taking it for a dealership fix is a such a dice-roll with Infiniti

Old 09-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by tripwire
What brand of silicone and what store did you get the silicone, may I ask? The rearview mirror rattle has been bugging me as well, and taking it for a dealership fix is a such a dice-roll with Infiniti
Don't think it matters.
Any general pupose silicone will do. (it's hidden inside when done)

Old 09-21-2005, 03:53 PM
I've had my rear view mirror replaced 2 times for rattles. I am now very good at re-programming it

Old 09-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by B33R
I've had my rear view mirror replaced 2 times for rattles. I am now very good at re-programming it
That's what I thought would happen.
Might as well fix it myself instead of replacing it several times.

Who ever supplied these things to Nissan must be getting an earfull by now.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Just found a quick fix.
I had an idea that I thought I'd try B4 taking the mirror apart.

I cut some thin plastic strips...
You know, that heavy molded clear plastic packaging that parts are shipped in.
The stuff you curse when you get back from the store,
because you can't get it open w/o a box cutter.....

Anyway I cut 4 strips ~ 1/4" by 3" ;
(didn't measure, should be narrow enough to be hidden)

I stuffed them between the mirror glass & the frame (@ the front).
2 in the top & 2 in the bottom.

Took more time to find some plastic & the box cutter than it did to fix.

Went for a test spin down a road that always causes the buzzy vibration.....GONE

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rearview mirror rattle (FIXED)