Notices

rearview mirror rattle (FIXED)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Alumni****
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really need to do this fix as well. That rearview mirror rattle drives me nuts. My gf thinks I'm nuts cause I keep squeezing it. The noise goes away, but then after a while, it comes back. I will do this fix for sure.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:10 PM
it's really easy, if you decide to go the more involved route and take the housing apart like I did you can actually leave the back in the car and just pull the front panel off. that way you don't need the funny driver to remove the screw from the mirror's post.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:46 AM
How to remove the mirror

After reading the thread I am excited about working on my mirror. It has been driving me nuts as well. But I am still worried about taking the mirror apart. where are the clips and what should I use to snap the mirror apart?

thanks for all your help.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:31 PM
it's really easy man, you don't need any tools, just get whatever little bit of finger nail you have between the back and the front half of the mirrors exterior plastic shell and pull the front off. you don't even need to remove the back or screws or anything.

gl

Old 04-13-2006, 12:33 PM
work your way around the mirror starting at the top - so in case you scratch it, it won't be visible...

Old 04-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I had my mirror replaced at the dealership as well recently. If the noise comes back I'm going to do this fix.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2006, 07:49 AM
wow, i did the plastic strips as mentioned... worked like a charm, no more rattle.

great fix and it has saved my sanity in my car,

now, i just gotta dynamat the rear shelf and i think i will have eliminated the major rattles,

Old 08-01-2006, 12:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Who ever supplied these things to Nissan must be getting an earfull by now.
That would be Gentex. I have the exact same mirror in my Pontiac Grand Prix, and it rattles the same as the one in my G35. I'm definately doing this fix.

The grass isn't greener on the other side though. Both our TL's and the original mirror in my Pontiac were all Donnely mirrors. (Most of the autodimming mirrors without homelink are donnely). And those mirrors suck... Not only did they also rattle, but the autodimming feature broke. And I mean physically broke, as in the glass turned a black/purple color (Like when you push your finger on an LCD display), and when the first one went out, it actually leaked. (Hence why I replaced it with a Gentex mirror, which I heard was more reliable, and homelink was a plus). Acura replaced the first with another donnely unit, and we've since gotten rid of that TL. Our new TL's donnely mirror hasn't broken yet, but it rattles more than my G35's mirror does. In fact, the whole sunroof rattles, but that's another thread....

Old 08-09-2007, 05:06 PM
I tried to take the mirror apart, but I gave up after awhile for fear of snapping the thing in pieces. It doesn't pull apart easily and using even thin screw drivers can easily mess up the outer trim. I really need to see those original pics before I try to undertake this again. I have the plastic strips installed but the mirror still makes some rattles. I wish the guys that did the installation successfully lived nearby!

Last edited by bocatrip; 08-09-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:25 PM
EZZ
Originally Posted by bocatrip
I tried to take the mirror apart, but I gave up after awhile for fear of snapping the thing in pieces. It doesn't pull apart easily and using even thin screw drivers can easily mess up the outer trim. I really need to see those original pics before I try to undertake this again. I have the plastic strips installed but the mirror still makes some rattles. I wish the guys that did the installation successfully lived nearby!
You are right...it literally took me 1/2 hour trying to pry the freakin things apart. I was really afraid to marr it but I said screw it and took a fat screwdriver and pryed the top part a little and then WHACKED the screwdriver into the top piece. The outer trim snapped apart at the top and then I pryed the rest off carefully.

The first time, I only put a little silicone and didn't do enough so I noticed the rattle a few days later. I then RE-pryed it off and stuck tape between the mirror and outer housing (rolled up tape--thick enough to be a cushion).

You will most likely marr it...but you really can't see the top of the mirror so its not a big deal. If you mess it up, just buy one off of ebay for $50.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:24 PM
The autodimmer mirror with the buttons for the G35 is $50 on ebay?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:35 AM
EZZ
Originally Posted by bocatrip
The autodimmer mirror with the buttons for the G35 is $50 on ebay?
Oh yeah.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Infin...mZ190138534297

Old 08-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shooter, need those pics!!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by joe603
Shooter, need those pics!!

+1 on those pics!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:20 PM
i already pm'd him...he's out of town and will get those up as soon as he returns.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rearview mirror rattle (FIXED)