Notices

fog light bulbs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 05:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: fog light bulbs?

Just installed Silverstar 9003 ST myself today.

Here's my impression:
I'm not so impressed by the words on the box of 9003 ST that states, "Whitest, Brightest, Sharpest". It's definitely whiter than the factory one when compare side by side with the digital picture I took, but when not compared, it still looks yellow. You probably would not note difference of it's not compared.
I had taken 2 pictures with the lights on the paper towel and edited with Paint program for a side by side comparison.
Judge for yourself to see if you want to spend the money and time to replace it. I'm keeping it since I already spent the time and money.
If you do decide to do it, below is the instruction and a picture for the fog light cap.

First one took me about 45 minutes because I didn't really know what to look for even though I read the post from FYI section saying unsrew a few screws and a few tabs. But the 2nd one was really fast took me only 15 minutes.

Instruction: (It's probably easier to take the wheels off, but I didn't.)
1. Steer the wheel all the way to the right (driver side) and vise versa for the passenger side.
2. Look for 1 screw and 3 tabs located on the front lower outer edge of the wheel fender.
3. Carefully pull the wheel fenders. (Don't worry, wheel fender is pretty durable and flexible. Just do it with care.)
4. Locate the fog light cap (red and yellow line) and twist the cap counter clockwise.
5. Locate retainer ring and use your thumb and index finger to squeeze in until the retainer ring is loose and drops down. (The bulb is loose at this point.)
6. Use a clean/dry towel and carefully pull the bulb out from the fixture.
7. Use a clean/dry towel and carefully insert the 9003 ST bulb into the fixture.
8. Carefully insert the bulb into the housing.
9. Pull the retainer ring up and squeeze it back in against the back of the fixture.
10. Test to see if the fog light turns on.
11. Seal the cap clockwise (don't forget to put the rubber back around the cap).
12. Push the wheel fender back in and tighten the screw and tabs and you are done.

157635-Fog_Cap.jpg

Old 12-21-2003, 05:33 AM

Here's the pic to compare; left is factory and right is 9003 ST.

157636-compose.jpg

Old 12-22-2003, 03:40 AM

"SilverStar 9003ST's are rated at 72/65 Watts per the co's website. G's are rated at 60/55. Does this make a difference? I like the look of the SS's, but I don't want to melt something..........."
i have a set of these but am afraid to install. i asked my dealer how to switch the bulbs, and he looked at my silverstars (which I happened to have with me) and told me the could overheat and damage the wiring harness, and cause $500+ in damage that they would not fix under warranty.

Old 12-22-2003, 01:40 PM

CKE73...what tools will I need...? I don't want to keep having to go back into my apartment upstairs everytime I need something different...just want to take down to the garage what I need. I plan on putting in all my bulbs tonight. Thanks.

"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
- Homer Simpson

Old 12-23-2003, 12:22 AM

If you are going to take the wheels out, you need a regular screw driver, a flat head screw driver and of course a jack to jack up the car, etc...
If you don't want to take the wheels out, then all you need is a flat head screw to pull the 3 tabs out and a regular short screw driver or the right angel screw driver/adapater for the screw located on top of the wheel well. (The screw on top of the wheel well is postioned in an angle where the wheel is in the way.)
I attached a picture for the right angle screw driver/adapter because I'm not sure what it's called.

158386-Angle_Screw_driver.jpg

Old 12-23-2003, 01:00 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 'regular' screwdriver being a #2 Philips.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you've never done this before, it may be less frustrating to just take off the wheels so you can see all the fasteners you have to remove.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 12-24-2003, 11:21 AM

I used Euro Type-Rs (like the PIAA extremes) + us Sedan owners have a single parking light bulb in the fog area that I changed with a PIAA LED. I tried the Sylvania Silver Stars and took them right out. Didn't like the color! (but that is my opinion folks!!)

<font color=blue>LED parking light only (#19263)</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Xenons and LED parking light</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Xenons and to Euro Type-R HID 4500K Super White Fogs (#TR-504)</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Xenons and Euro's on high beam</font color=blue>

Cheers, ted

'03 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 12-28-2003, 04:54 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan

Daniel_G and anyone else interested in upgrading your bulbs. I used the Silver Stars for my high/fogs and PIAA Extreme Whites everywhere else. I love the results. Email me if you want the installation guide or bulb guide.
skeletoncru@sbcglobal.net

Old 01-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Socalted: How did you get to the parking lights? I just ordered the LED's, and the other day when I was installing my new fogs, I looked to see how hard it would be to install them. I really couldn't see how to get my fingers in there to pull them out. How did you do it? Thanks

'03.5 Brilliant Silver AT Sedan
Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter
Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals
Polk Tweeters, Clifford RSX 3.5 two-way alarm

Old 01-06-2004, 10:41 PM

anyone?

Old 01-07-2004, 09:17 AM

Are parking lights the same as the clearance lights? If yes, I might be able to help. I will warn you that removing them is a little tricky because of where they're located. They're located next to the fog/high beam housing, say the 2 o'clock position on the driver side and 10 o'clock position on the passenger. From the drives side, all you do is to grasp the black plastic part and turn it counter-clockwise (I think clock-wise on the passenger side) until it gives and can be pulled straight back. Once out, replace the bub. Putting it back will be somewhat trickier because you don't see where it needs to go into. Some trial and error may be required.

I hope this helps.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:58 AM

Yes, that helps some. Thanks