Notices

Custom LED blinking sidemarker

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Custom LED blinking sidemarker

Finally had some decent weather here, and I got a chance to properly finish my sidemarker project. I put in a row of 11 LEDs. 6 stay on as the sidemarker light. The other 5 only turn on with the blinker. So now the sidemarker behaves exactly like a normal blinker - regularly lit during normal operation, then brighter when signaling. Pictures suck...

Regularly lit (six LED):

Blinking (11 LED):

1.7 MB video of them in action

---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net

Old 03-01-2004, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Custom LED blinking sidemarker

Sweet, nice job man.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:44 PM

Nice work!!! I wish my lights blinked like that.

"Not all G35 owners are G35 Drivers"
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT-BS/BLK | Full Aero-Navi | Gounding Wires | Clear Corners | 15% tinted windows | 350Z Tube | JWT PopCharger | Front Lip Spoiler on order.....

Old 03-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks real good!!!!
Question....do they blink simultaneously or are they slightly flashing out of time....hard to tell from the vid clip???
Either way great mod....<font color=blue>2old4this</font color=blue>

04 cpe ivory pearl/willow/5at/prem/sport wheel pkg/clear corners/Piaa's

Old 03-02-2004, 03:35 PM

i cant get a picture in a vid =(

Old 03-02-2004, 05:33 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator

There are two ways to set them up. One way is to have them in unison with the front blinker. When it blinks, the LEDs blink. The way I have mine setup is that they blink, opposite the front turn signal. When the front signal dims, the leds light up. When the LEDs "dim" the front turn signal lights up. Also, if you view the video frame by frame, they are synced properly, but the LEDs are instant on so they are full intensity right away, as opposed to the front turn signal which takes an extra "frame" to reach full intensity.

Old 03-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks afr0puff...
That explains what I saw....it really looks nice and bright......
I bet it will come in handy when your pulling out onto busy streets....I can hardly see the blinker on mine from the side...

I'm surprised Infiniti didn't take the same approach. My I35 had cornering lights which helped in a turn...so they really should have incorporated your idea as well....<font color=blue>2old4this</font color=blue>

04 cpe ivory pearl/willow/5at/prem/sport wheel pkg/clear corners/Piaa's

Old 03-02-2004, 07:54 PM

Share how you did this mod with us.....

Old 03-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator

GR8TG35, check out this thread, it might help you:

Blink your sidemarker

I didn't want that momentary loss of light as it cycles through, so I went with my mod. Plus I love the look the line of LEDs provides from 15+ feet out.

I drilled into the backing to put in the 11 LEDs. Originally I cut the backing out to put in a circuit board, but there isn't enough room in there to get more than 9. And then you have to space them close together. I cut off the center bulb holder stem and covered it with a plastic film. I then covered all the wiring and resistors in a waterproof silicone sealant.

If people are interested, I could do this mod for them for about $20-30 (parts + labor) depending on what color LEDs and what design they want (blink or not blink).

Old 03-02-2004, 10:37 PM

I'd definately be interested in paying for that kit if you decide to make them.

Old 03-04-2004, 12:00 AM

afro, In your pic it looks like you have the stock orange corner but I thought in the other thread you said you have clear corners.

Do you have clear corners?
What color LED's did you use? Yellow? Orange? Clear?

I would like the clear corners with a clear running light and orange LEDs that blinked with (or opposite) the turn signals. LEDs would be clear when off so wouldn't mess up the clear corner look. Do you think I could fit enough yellow/orange LEDs into the clear corner with the clear PIAA bulb to be see-able?

I'm thinking I would have to wire the PIAA to either turn off or flash opposite the LEDs for it to be viewable, especially in daylight?

On-On
S&S

Old 03-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Afro,

What about taking the 5 blinking LED's and installing only those into the housing, wiring them to the blinker, and then leaving the side marker lamp in place? Would that be cheaper to do? 10 LED's versus 22 = lower price? I have a set of clear corners that's begging for this mod!!! I can send them to you to do and put in my regular markers while I wait for you to complete the work! How long would it take for you to do this? This is something Infiniti should have done at the factory!

'03.5 G35 Silver Sedan, AT
UnModded!
Lowered!
Splash Guards - Aero Pkg.
Custom under dash and console lighting!
Sub in the trunk!

Old 03-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Supa Dupa Moderator

I don't have clear side markers. I did this mod on the stock orange side marker.

I used Yellow LEDs on my left side, and Orange LEDs on my right side. When shining through the stock sidemarker, there is hardly a noticeable difference in colors. The right side is just a tad darker. No one would notice. If you have clear side markers, the difference between yellow and orange LEDs would be greatly noticeable. I'll see if I can take some photos of both a naked yellow and amber LED at the same time so you can see the difference.

Personally, if you were to go ahead with this, I would lose the bulb in the middle. I don't think it would look right with having that bulb in there. Here are some quick and dirty photoshop variations I did with the bulb in place.

Here is what it would look like with the bulb always on (opposite flashing):

This is what it would look like if you wired the bulb to turn off or flash opposite the LEDs:

Another reason why I would lose the bulb in the middle, is that you can then cover up the noticeable "bulb hole." I was able to do that with my stock side marker and I'm 90% sure it can be done with the clear ones.

Regular clear sidemarker:

LED sidemarker conversion with lights off:

Old 03-04-2004, 07:01 PM

You are probably right.

Now another question. I just got my clear corners in today and they don't fit, at least not easily.

The clear corners are a good 1/4" taller than the stock ones. Are the clear corners supposed to be the same size as the stock ones, or do I have to shove the clear corners into the fender?

p.s. I have a 04 G35x sedan.

On-On
S&S

Old 03-04-2004, 07:26 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator

wow.. 1/4 inch off. That's seems a lot. The sidemarker should fit snugly. About as easy to install/remove as popping the battery cover off a typical remote. I have a funny feeling you may have ended up with coupe sidemarkers instead of sedan ones.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom LED blinking sidemarker