Notices
View Poll Results: Should I keep the kph gauge yellow or make the entire gauge white?
Keep the yellow kph gauge yellow.
50.00%
Make the entire gauge white.
50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

HELP!!! Change out lights with LED in cluster gauge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! Change out lights with LED in cluster gauge

Hi All,

With the inspiration of others on this forum, I decided to mod my gauges so that it is white instead of orange. I kept the rest of the interior orange. I wanted it to have the luxurious look and feel like Lexus, new G35, Mercedes, etc.
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...remove+cluster

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ht=cluster+led

I followed the examples of Accordfreak and Alan, whom advised me to get T1.5-W bulbs from http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b....17033&next=50 Here are my results thus far. The lighting appears spotty and it doesn't light up the meters. Not only that, it looks more blue than white. I am not entirely disappointed in this work, but it is not the best. Instead of sanding the yellow, I used finger nail polish remover with q-tipps. It was a lot easier, but caused some complication. The acetone caused cracks in 2 of the numbers and it literally cracked the plastic in two places about 1 inch long by the fuel gauge. I would recommend others using something less strong like alcohol or goof off.

If anyone has done this before, please provide me with a method that will show uniform light output. Someone suggest using defusors, but I don't know where to begin with that. I could also use regular bulb with blue tint to give it white appearance, but it would not be the true white that I am looking for. There are also 3-LED bulbs, but it may be too bright.

Also, what do you guys think, should I leave the kph in yellow or make it white all the way. White gives it a clean look, but the yellow kph gives it a unique look. I would like to change the color of the mileage lcd display to white as well, but it seems too complicated and I don't want to ruin the gauges more than I already have.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Attached Thumbnails HELP!!! Change out lights with LED in cluster gauge-img_2824.jpg  
Old 07-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
to get the light spread evenly, get a polyethylene sheet, cut it to size of the gauge cluster and attached it behind the gauges to diffuse the light throughout the gauge cluster

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=410&

Old 07-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I am trying to get white numbers and marks, do I get a clear Polyethylene or white Polyethylene? The LED is white and produces 5500k but somehow it appears blueish when installed. I'm not sure if the plastic background have any blue tint in it, but it is not perfectly white.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
the sheet is supposed to be frosted. so when you shine a light through it, it gets completely diffused . it's probably bluish because the leds aren't that powerful.