Notices

Beware Luminics headlights! Pictures included...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware Luminics headlights! Pictures included...

I wanted to let you all know about my recent experience with luminics H4 headlights/foglights. They have caused me a HUGE headache.

I recently did the AAC halo mod (which I love) and installed Luminics H4's to give my car that sweet yellow Lexus foglight look. Unfortunately, to my dismay, after a 2 hr car ride with my fogs and headlights on at night, this is what I found:

The headlight actually blew up and threw the shards inside the headlight housing (picts 1&2). I would like to say for the record that when installing these not only did I wear latex gloves, but I also did not touch the bulbs as I know this can cause premature burnout.

In addition, as if this wasn't enough, it also emitted a fine yellow crystal materal that has deposited itself over the entire reflective surface of the headlight (pict 1&3). In some places it is a dust (pict 3), while in others is has formed thin streaks/teardrops of material (pict 1). Picture 4 is the opposite headlight which is normal (ie. you can see the difference in the reflectivity of the headlights).

Here are some pictures of what was remaining of the bulb:

Now I don't know what to do. Being that they have my AAC halos in them, I must try and salvage the headlight (as opposed to replacing it). It appears as though the dust can be removed with wiping (I managed to get my finger inside to check), so I'm hoping that it hasn't done any permanent damage to the reflective surface. My options as I see it:

1) Put the headlight back in the oven (as per my halo install) and hope to god that it doesn't cause the dust to fuse with the reflective surface of the headlight and screw things up more. This way I can clean the inside thoroughly, and then reglue the housing back together. Being that I don't like headlights in ovens (it was bad enough the first time), I'd rather not go this route).

2) Take the headlight out and fill it with water (obviously with all bulbs out of it) and hope that merely by shaking it and rinsing it out I can get all the pieces out. My only concern here is that I don't want to leave any moisture inside the headlight during reinstall or else I may get condensation. I hope that by leaving it to dry for a long time that this might work. I also can't take out this halos and worry they may be damaged by the water and headlight shaking that would ultimately ensue. Finally, I have some concerns about water marks being left inside...and of course not getting all that luminic foglight crap out...

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Smokey6; 10-06-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
holy cow! thanks for the info! Sorry about your situation though......

Old 10-06-2008, 12:52 AM
I definitely would not fill them with water. Put them back in the oven, maybe lower the temp and time just a little and use just enough heat to loosen the glue. I think the oven route will be safer than filling the headlights with water and shaking them. Just too many options for condensation or damage.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This has happened to everyone i know with this brand. Did you get the right power rating?

Old 10-06-2008, 01:17 AM
I got yellow Luminics in my headlights for like 4 months now, nothing wrong with mine...

Old 10-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
8 months with my Luminics yellow bulbs, and nothing wrong with mine either (although I don't turn them on with my HIDs every time, only in situations where visibility is poor).

To the OP, sorry to hear about the latest mishap with the Luminics bulbs. Sucks to keep hearing stories like this from what's supposed to be a very quality aftermarket light bulb. I don't know if this is another option for you but there are '03-'04 HID headlamps available on Ebay and in the Marketplace forum if you're considering a replacement for your existing headlamp(s).

Old 10-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
DO NOT USE WATER. You wont be able to get it all out then have to worry about condensation issues later. If you dont want to go the oven route, you can always just use a heat gun. Make several slow passes around the seal and it will pull apart just as easy.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You probly just got a defective one, sucks though maybe you can get a new set if u ask the place you bought it from and explain what happened....

Old 10-06-2008, 01:56 PM
currently trying to get some money back - I'm certainly not planning on putting any more of these in my g35.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Heat them up and open them, you could paint the housing while you're there'

Old 10-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Did you make sure the bulbs were 100% clean when you installed them? Any finger prints, glue, etc on them will cause them to blow up like that.

To clean them, open them back up, don't use any water in your lights!!! Ever!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
out of your two options, definitely option 1. if you don't overcook them, i doubt anything will be fusing to the reflectors.

as for option 2 - that is probably worse than doing nothing at all

Old 10-06-2008, 05:01 PM
thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll be reheating the headlights - I just hope it doesn't mess them up....argh...I hate doing this again...

What would you guys suggest I use to clean them up once they are opened?

Old 10-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Use rubbing alcohol.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Eh, I'd stay away from rubbing alcohol. If it's a fine dust, clean it with compressed air.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Beware Luminics headlights! Pictures included...