Notices

Changed factory HID bulbs, also installed HID H4's for the fogs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by azt108
Right now I have halogen black housing headlights. I'm considering selling them and getting OEM Xenon headlights. What's your set up for low, high, and fog?
I'm assuming you were talking to me?

Anyway, the OEM Xenons have a 4300K HID bulb in the top and an H4 (I think that's right) Halogen in the bottom that doubles as the fog and highbeam.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
I'm assuming you were talking to me?

Anyway, the OEM Xenons have a 4300K HID bulb in the top and an H4 (I think that's right) Halogen in the bottom that doubles as the fog and highbeam.
Sorry, should have quoted you. Sell your headlights to me!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Sorry, should have quoted you. Sell your headlights to me!
Haha, no thanks. I'm happy with what I have. I may upgrade my HID bulbs to Phillips 5000K though.

I think you can pick up a used set for not too much. May turn out to be pretty expensive with the ballasts and bulbs though.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm thinking that glare from the fogs shouldn't be too bad because they point down and illuminate wide rather than far. This is different from putting an HID into a halogen low beam housing which is designed to project a beam further and will make contact with oncoming drivers directly resulting in glare.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by dmitriylm
I'm thinking that glare from the fogs shouldn't be too bad because they point down and illuminate wide rather than far.
It's probably better than putting an HID in a Halogen low-beam housing, but there will still be some glare from the fog light. Again, do you drive around with them on all the time? If not, it shouldn't be too much of an issue as far as blinding other drivers.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
It's probably better than putting an HID in a Halogen low-beam housing, but there will still be some glare from the fog light. Again, do you drive around with them on all the time? If not, it shouldn't be too much of an issue as far as blinding other drivers.
I'll see how distracting they are too other drivers to decide whether to keep them on at all times or not. I'm hoping the fact that they are low pointed fog lights along with the fact that my car is lowered won't allow the beam to shine directly into other drivers.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:58 PM
dmitriylm,

Could you take a picture of the headlights?

Old 02-25-2010, 03:33 AM
I've gone ahead and taken a few photos but the night shots are incredibly difficult with a regular camera. I would of used my DSLR but I was too lazy to bring out the tripod and get the shots right. The light over powers a standard digital camera in the dark but I experimented with the fogs on/off and pretty much got the same result so even the factory hid housing over powers the cameras image sensor.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
HID in your fogs while it's raining on the highway is probably the last thing you want to do.

That's why OEM's don't use HID lighting in fog lights..even though owners of BMW's, Lexus, Benz's, etc all want them. HID lighting is too intense for inclimate weather and would scatter everywhere on the water droplets in the air.

Yeah the stock setup looks ugly, but it's functional.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 02-25-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would only use the HIDS in the fogs, for dark places or within communities. Other than that, I wouldn't.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are also brighter and different color halogens that you can get as well... Though it would be nice to have HID high beams...

Old 02-25-2010, 12:45 PM

Talk about glare... this **** glares so much that even the stuff behind it is light up.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Talk about glare... this **** glares so much that even the stuff behind it is light up.
I realize that you love to jump to conclusions but did you think about the possibility that the camera's flash was used to take this picture because without it you wouldn't even see a car. This would also explain any lighting pointing in the opposite direction. Again, I took the same pictures with the fog lights on and off, coming to the same result in terms of what the camera captures (in short, it can't capture an accurate image of what this setup actually looks like to the human eye).

Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realize that you love to jump to conclusions but did you think about the possibility that the camera's flash was used to take this picture because without it you wouldn't even see a car. This would also explain any lighting pointing in the opposite direction. Again, I took the same pictures with the fog lights on and off, coming to the same result in terms of what the camera captures (in short, it can't capture an accurate image of what this setup actually looks like to the human eye).
I think he was joking...

Old 02-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Dacket84
I think he was joking...
LOL, then its my bad.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changed factory HID bulbs, also installed HID H4's for the fogs