Notices

Changed factory HID bulbs, also installed HID H4's for the fogs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2010 | 01:55 PM
In the daytime pics, it looks like your fogs are actually brighter than your lows. Could just be the color difference. But even then, from the side angle daytime shot you can see some of that glare if you look at the reflector coming from the passenger side headlight. Opposed to the lows right above it you don't see that glare... So I'm guessing it would glare at oncoming traffic just as they're passing you rather than from afar...

Old 02-25-2010 | 05:10 PM
|
Originally Posted by Dacket84
In the daytime pics, it looks like your fogs are actually brighter than your lows. Could just be the color difference. But even then, from the side angle daytime shot you can see some of that glare if you look at the reflector coming from the passenger side headlight. Opposed to the lows right above it you don't see that glare... So I'm guessing it would glare at oncoming traffic just as they're passing you rather than from afar...
The color is identical but the angle is different (fogs shoot lower). I took the photos doing the fob squat to get fairly eye level with the head lights so an oncoming driver would actually be positioned higher up and see even less of the fog beam.

Old 02-25-2010 | 05:18 PM
I def don't think it's an accurate picture. I'd take the same picture, but from 100-150 feet up the road some sitting in a chair or squat. Out foglights point down for the most part anyway. There might be some glare cast up, but i don't think it's anything like when someone sticks a kit into a halogen low beam reflector setup. I've seen some 03's on the road with these and they glare badly. You can't even make out the front of the car because it's so bad. I'm usually one of the first "anti-HID kit" people to chime into such threads...but to be honest, fog light HID's doesn't bother me so much on our cars just because I've seen how low these things cast light myself.

BEst way i've found to catch glare is at a distance. Next time you are on the highway as a passenger at night on in the rain, look over at the oncoming side. Watch for HID's and you'll notice a big difference between OEM HID's and aftermarket kits. In fact, do this and you'll easily be able to tell which cars are running kits.

The OEM HID's will look to be no more intense than halogen lights...which is true because you are above the cutoff and offset significantly. The only difference between the HID's and halgogens will be color. However, when an aftermarket HID kit is coming down the highway you'll notice it.

Try it out for a few miles...you'll see how easy it is to tell just by the glare alone.

Old 02-25-2010 | 05:42 PM
|
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I def don't think it's an accurate picture. I'd take the same picture, but from 100-150 feet up the road some sitting in a chair or squat. Out foglights point down for the most part anyway. There might be some glare cast up, but i don't think it's anything like when someone sticks a kit into a halogen low beam reflector setup. I've seen some 03's on the road with these and they glare badly. You can't even make out the front of the car because it's so bad. I'm usually one of the first "anti-HID kit" people to chime into such threads...but to be honest, fog light HID's doesn't bother me so much on our cars just because I've seen how low these things cast light myself.

BEst way i've found to catch glare is at a distance. Next time you are on the highway as a passenger at night on in the rain, look over at the oncoming side. Watch for HID's and you'll notice a big difference between OEM HID's and aftermarket kits. In fact, do this and you'll easily be able to tell which cars are running kits.

The OEM HID's will look to be no more intense than halogen lights...which is true because you are above the cutoff and offset significantly. The only difference between the HID's and halgogens will be color. However, when an aftermarket HID kit is coming down the highway you'll notice it.

Try it out for a few miles...you'll see how easy it is to tell just by the glare alone.
I can definitely tell the difference between a factory HID and a halogen housing with an HID kit setup. I'll have someone drive my car towards me at night so I can get a good feel for how distracting they are. I highly doubt the fogs will be very bothersome due to their angle but I'll make sure because I'm a fairly big on proper lighting setup as to not bother other drivers.

Old 03-07-2010 | 04:08 AM
I've been wanting to put HID fogs in my 04 6MT Coupe for a while now.

I was planning on getting the DDM kit, which is an H4 hi/low setup (retains highbeam function).

Any thoughts?

The main reason I want to do this is usually at least once a week I have to drive from my house to my "dorm" (uncle's house) where I live during the week since it's closer to school. My route entails a relatively dark canyon road (which I generally take the chance to have some fun on since it's empty at 1AM), and I want more light output with my highbeams on.

Old 03-07-2010 | 06:36 PM
I put 10000k hid in the fogs and h1 leds for up top...thinkin about gettin switchback leds for the turn signal and wire them so they would come on with the sidemarkers..any ideas?

Old 03-10-2010 | 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Revo
I've been wanting to put HID fogs in my 04 6MT Coupe for a while now.

I was planning on getting the DDM kit, which is an H4 hi/low setup (retains highbeam function).

Any thoughts?

The main reason I want to do this is usually at least once a week I have to drive from my house to my "dorm" (uncle's house) where I live during the week since it's closer to school. My route entails a relatively dark canyon road (which I generally take the chance to have some fun on since it's empty at 1AM), and I want more light output with my highbeams on.

I'm in the same boat, except I was thinking of getting 3k yellow HID's. Bi-xenon so I don't lose the high beam function.