Notices

Getting Moisture Out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Getting Moisture Out

Whats the easiest way to get moisture out of a headlight? One of the caps for the bulbs didnt get back on good and popped off, so when I washed the car it got moisture in the housing, and now my HID blew. I dont want to put the new one in until the moisture is for sure out.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:38 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I've had a similar situation with mine, except it was due to me painting my headlights. There was a hole somewhere in the sealant and rain water was able to get in.

My headlights went out, so I went out and bought new bulbs, but it wasn't the bulbs that got messed up in my situation.

I ended up removing the ballast to only find my headlight was flooded with water with about a good cup or two of rain water. Poured it all out, took out the ballast and shook the water out. Tried to dry the wires and such with towels and just threw it back in so I could crack open the headlights the following week to fix the seal problem. After a few hours, my headlights were working again.

So take a look at your ballast and see if there's any water flooding your ballast, give it a good shake and pour any water that may have gotten inside. Try this before spending any money buying new bulbs.

I don't think your problem is moisture, rather more actual water. Moisture is more vapor like which causes condensation and a foggy effect inside your headlight. If that's the case, try taping a few of those sillica gel packets (the ones that say "Do not eat") inside the headlight housing so it can absorb the moisture (if it's not indeed actual water flooding).

Old 12-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
well it is the ballast, switched the bulb to the other side and it works fine. How much is that going to cost me?

Old 01-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You can also try spraying rubbing alchohol inside your headlight housing, Ive done this with success in the past, it will evaporate.