Notices

DIY : Diode Dynamics RBGW Demon Eye Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 01:53 AM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
DIY : Diode Dynamics RBGW Demon Eye Install

Mods please move this to the appropriate location.

I ordered the Diode Dynamics universal kit for myself for Christmas and just had time to install them. I took some decent pictures along the way and figured I could help those of you that have bought / will buy the kit. So let's get on with it.

Tools you'll need
  • Small Phillips Head Screwdriver
  • Small Piers
  • Cutting Dikes
  • Zip-Ties
  • Drill and 1/4" bit
  • Sewing Needle
  • Sealing Agent (silicon works best)

Step 1. Remove and separate (and paint) your headlights. Follow this link to do so.

Step 2. Install the demon eye LED board onto the bracket with the 'ears' facing away from the actual LED's themselves like so.

Step 3. First (not pictured) place a piece of electrical tape on top of where the wires are soldered to the board (the side opposite of the actual LED's). I found that if you slide the board underneath the outer metal shield for the projector that the LED's sit right on top of the glass (pointing down towards the glass itself) and work perfectly with no modification. The electrical tape from earlier should ensure that the board doesn't short on that outer piece of metal. My mounting method may be odd to some, but I didn't want to do a modification to the headlight that was irreversible, so the simple zip-tie method works great. Don't over tighten the zip ties though. After the kit is installed it also a good time for a test to ensure it is all working.

Step 4. Now you have to get the cable from the demon eye outside the headlight. I chose to drill into the caps that screw on and off the light itself, and instead of drilling one massive hole to fit the connector thru, I de-pinned the connector and drilled a 1/4" hole in the upper-most cap.

***** If you want to de-pin the connector all you need is a sewing needle. Simply slide the needle above the actual pin (don't force it, there should be a spot where it slides in easily ) and then PUSH the pin out with a flat-head from the same side the needle went in. DO NOT pull on the wire from the opposite side of the connector as you will risk damaging the pins / wires.*****

Step 5. Re-seal the headlight and re-install the harness onto the light.

Step 6. Now it's time to re-pin the connector. If the pins themselves aren't clicking into place look for a TINY tab on top and bend it up slightly with the needle. This should allow them to fully seat back within the connector. Also a good time for another test.

Step 7. Seal the hole you drilled in the cap. I chose to use silicon and this step (along with the previous 2) are self explanatory so there are no pictures.

Step 8. Enjoy!

Last edited by Conissah; 01-27-2017 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Diode Dynamics makes the best demon eye out there right now. Thanks for the share and nice job!

Old 01-27-2017, 04:21 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Very impressed with the kit so far, and I love the results. For under $100, I would HIGHLY suggest it. Everything is so easy to do, and their remote is awesome.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
thanks for the write up

Old 07-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
I ended up drilling holes into the glare shield and mounting the H1 adapters that way.

I still can't get them to work with the cars 12V system for whatever reason. People on headlight junkies won't help either they just berate me...

Will figure that one out with more time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.