Wiring Question for Quad Retrofit on 05 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring Question for Quad Retrofit on 05 Coupe

Hello Ladies and Gents,

im not sure where to start -

I have a 2005 g35 Coupe, the one that has the h4 high beam and and D2R HID.
what i have done is installed D2S projectors in the lower housing to utilize the stock ballasts and installed h1 projectors in the top housing. so to recap thats h1s up top with their own new 35w ACME ballasts, D2S on bottoms with stock ballasts (also have d2s to amp connectors and amp ballasts)

my problem is this:

ive bought an H4 harness from TRS but it doesnt seem to work, here is the relay:
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...n-h4-9003.html

the bottom D2S will work when plugged into stock ballast and harnesses, highbeams/h1 lights wont come on though. but when connected to aftermarket D2S to AMP connectors routed into aftermarket ballasts thru to the morimoto control unit along with the H1s the whole system seems to not work. so as it sits right now anything i have routed through the morimoto relay has not turned on. im concerned it might be a bad relay but...im hoping not. and thats why i need all of your help figuring it out.

if anyone has any experience with morimoto relays that knowledge would be greatly appreciated

THANKS!

Old 07-03-2017, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Ooh looks great! Mind showing a wiring diagram of exactly how you wired it up, or at least a better picture?

The way I understand it, you ran the TRS H1 harness to the new ballasts, and reused factory connectors for the lower D2S projector. If the relay for the TRS harness works off the low beam circuit this should be a non-issue!

Old 07-05-2017, 11:50 AM

Shouldn't your harness be powered from the low beams. I'm doing a quad retrofit now and my harness is powered by a 9006 female pigtail that I spliced into the harness to the low beams. Then you run splitters to the projectors to actuate high and low. and the rest of your harness plugs into the new ballasts. This is the harness im using with splitters running the projectors and a pigtale spliced into the sitck low beam wiring.https://www.theretrofitsource.com/wi...elay-9006.html

BTW the stock ballasts suck compared to a good 55w set. I'll be ditching mine now that ive seen the difference. See picture. Top is stock and btm is 55w aftermarket. ignore the alignment. this was the first fire up.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Here's my suggestion. I've altered a diagram to fit your exact project. The harness you have is made to only power the high beams. Meaning your lows will turn off. HIDS have warm up time so I wouldn't do this. Instead you should look into having both projectors on as low and high beam.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Don't run 55w to the factory bowls or MH1... it burns the bowls. Stick to 35W.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by G35Nate

Shouldn't your harness be powered from the low beams. I'm doing a quad retrofit now and my harness is powered by a 9006 female pigtail that I spliced into the harness to the low beams. Then you run splitters to the projectors to actuate high and low. and the rest of your harness plugs into the new ballasts. This is the harness im using with splitters running the projectors and a pigtale spliced into the sitck low beam wiring.https://www.theretrofitsource.com/wi...elay-9006.html

BTW the stock ballasts suck compared to a good 55w set. I'll be ditching mine now that ive seen the difference. See picture. Top is stock and btm is 55w aftermarket. ignore the alignment. this was the first fire up.
sorry for late response, spent the weekend buying a cherokee and cleaning it up. How did you splice the 9006 connectors into the stock harness? do you mind sending/uploading some pics?

also want to mention that the H1 projectors i got for free and they had the connections for the solenoid cut for some reason? so unless i splice in connectors i wont be able to use that solenoid function, will this prevent me from being able to use the high beams? i can buy the pigtails and solder them back on if i need to i guess..

Old 07-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quad high beams are awesome. You definitely want those.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by RuinedGee
sorry for late response, spent the weekend buying a cherokee and cleaning it up. How did you splice the 9006 connectors into the stock harness? do you mind sending/uploading some pics?

also want to mention that the H1 projectors i got for free and they had the connections for the solenoid cut for some reason? so unless i splice in connectors i wont be able to use that solenoid function, will this prevent me from being able to use the high beams? i can buy the pigtails and solder them back on if i need to i guess..

I spliced a 9006 into mine because I bought a 9006 harness. You will need an H4 female pigtail to plug into the male H4 connector on your harness.

You need 2 of these H4 Male -9006/9006 Female to power the solenoids
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...splitters.html

If the solenoid wires are missing you could get 9006 male pigtails and solder them to the projector I would assume. You would need to figure out where positive and negative are. Probably just use google images and find a picture of your projector to figure it out. To answer your question. Yes it will prevent you from using high beams in your H1 projectors but you can still use them in your other one. The H1 will still act as a low beam when your highs are on. You would have to open your housing back up to fix your H1's. May be easier to just run 1 set of high beams instead of quads,

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Quad high beams are awesome. You definitely want those.

They are delicious!!

Old 07-12-2017, 10:29 AM
Ruined Gee, I am working on my own quad set up. Do you have any build pictures you could share? I'm having a hard time getting the upper headlight to fit in the housing and allow it to clear the headlight bezel. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Daehtihs
Ruined Gee, I am working on my own quad set up. Do you have any build pictures you could share? I'm having a hard time getting the upper headlight to fit in the housing and allow it to clear the headlight bezel. Thanks.

What projector are you using? I had to cut the reflectors tofit the projectors. On the top reflector there is a bulge at the bottom. You need to shave that down flush with the rest of the reflector bowl to make theprojector sit correctly. Only shave a 1” area down from where the bulb goes. If you don’t your projector will be aiming up.

You will still need to cut the bezel around the shrouds. Soif you’re hitting on the projector you need to start cutting. This should beone of your last steps though.

I still have mine open while I wait on final parts, if youhave a pic of your exact issue I can walk you through it.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by G35Nate

What projector are you using? I had to cut the reflectors tofit the projectors. On the top reflector there is a bulge at the bottom. You need to shave that down flush with the rest of the reflector bowl to make theprojector sit correctly. Only shave a 1” area down from where the bulb goes. If you don’t your projector will be aiming up.

You will still need to cut the bezel around the shrouds. Soif you’re hitting on the projector you need to start cutting. This should beone of your last steps though.

I still have mine open while I wait on final parts, if youhave a pic of your exact issue I can walk you through it.
Thanks soo much. I'll take some pictures. I am using TSX projectors for the low beam/top and FX projectors for the fog/low beam/bottom.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Nice projectors. Look up the Nut and Bolt method & the JB weld method on HID Planet.

Those are two pretty typically ways to mount projectors now a days.