Notices

preview of a headlight project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 07:09 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
preview of a headlight project (now finished...hopefully)

I'm posting these so the guy I'm doing them for can see the progress, in case we don't get to meet up today.

Just a standard retrofit of a E46 projector, but since he wanted the amber signal replaced with a tinted cleared out one, that took a bit longer, since I hadn't done that before. It's a real pain trying to get the clear reflector to match up well in shape.

The yellow is supposed to match the NSX yellow, for the guy's G35, but it wasn't easy to do, since there's only one yellow high temp paint available in local car parts stores. I had to call Duplicolor, and after several unsuccessful attempts to get the local Napa and Pep Boys and Kragens to order a discontinued darker yellow high temp paint, Duplicolor finally just sent me two cans for free. That's excellent service.

I had to spray the two yellow colors together to try and get a good medium between one that was too bright, and one that was too dark. I don't think I'm going to do custom colors after this... I attached a pic of a random NSX off the web, for comparison.

You can see why my wife isn't thrilled with these projects:

There's a ATX power supply for testing and aiming. There's some RS6 bixenons, BMW shrouds, that I'm going to use for myself and other people.

After this retrofit, I'm going to do 2 more for guys that have been waiting way too long. Then I'm going to work on my own lights. Hopefully I can get those CCFL signals from Louisiana soon.

Attached Thumbnails preview of a headlight project-5530dsc00811-med.jpg  

Last edited by E_K; 10-14-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:12 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great so far.

Old 10-09-2005, 07:19 PM
THE BATMOBILE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are those for drsifu1??? they look great by the way..........

Last edited by truplay8; 10-09-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:40 PM
damn ! That' some NICE stuff.......
how do you charge?

Old 10-09-2005, 07:48 PM
E_K
Originally Posted by truplay8
are those for drsifu1??? they look great by the way..........
Nah, they're for someone else. His car pics were posted in the Socal forum at one point. He's actually friends with someone else that I did a retrofit for. And then their other buddy calls me the other day. Crazy...

Old 10-09-2005, 08:13 PM
THE BATMOBILE
oh i know who it is..........ive seen his car a couple times on here

Old 10-09-2005, 08:32 PM
i noticed ur in the area.. id be interested too if u had some time

Old 10-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by E_K

After this retrofit, I'm going to do 2 more for guys that have been waiting way too long. Then I'm going to work on my own lights. Hopefully I can get those CCFL signals from Louisiana soon.
It looks like my living room!

Are you planning on sticking CCFL into the clearance strip? If you are I will tell you it looks amazing! I did it this weekend and you just have to make a few minor mods to get it to work. It should have come from the factory like that.

Attached Thumbnails preview of a headlight project-everything.jpg  
Old 10-09-2005, 08:54 PM
E_K
I think we have the same dremel and heatgun, Pete!

I used to use the oven to open up the lights, but since my wife and I bought our first house, the oven here isn't big enough. And I didn't want to keep using my parent's oven, so I bought a Wagner heatgun.

LCA (the guy doing the angel eyes) is supposed to help me get the CCFLs into the strip, in exchange for shipping my extra lighting strips over to him.

Pete, if you haven't hooked up a PC power supply to power up the lights, I would strongly suggest doing so. It makes aiming them 90% easier, since you don't have to mess with the car. It also makes washer modding/shield bending 99% easier, since you can try all sorts of configurations within seconds.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:19 PM
what color is this guys car? and how much would u charge to do mine? just to retrofit projectors thats all i need

Old 10-09-2005, 09:42 PM
can you tell me where to buy projectors and how much they run?

Old 10-09-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by PeteNJ
It looks like my living room!

Are you planning on sticking CCFL into the clearance strip? If you are I will tell you it looks amazing! I did it this weekend and you just have to make a few minor mods to get it to work. It should have come from the factory like that.
u got any pics of that CCFL?

Old 10-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by E_K
I'm posting these so the guy I'm doing them for can see the progress, in case we don't get to meet up today.

Just a standard retrofit of a E46 projector, but since he wanted the amber signal replaced with a tinted cleared out one, that took a bit longer, since I hadn't done that before. It's a real pain trying to get the clear reflector to match up well in shape.

The yellow is supposed to match the NSX yellow, for the guy's G35, but it wasn't easy to do, since there's only one yellow high temp paint available in local car parts stores. I had to call Duplicolor, and after several unsuccessful attempts to get the local Napa and Pep Boys and Kragens to order a discontinued darker yellow high temp paint, Duplicolor finally just sent me two cans for free. That's excellent service.

I had to spray the two yellow colors together to try and get a good medium between one that was too bright, and one that was too dark. I don't think I'm going to do custom colors after this... I attached a pic of a random NSX off the web, for comparison.

There's a ATX power supply for testing and aiming. There's some RS6 bixenons, BMW shrouds, that I'm going to use for myself and other people.

The headlights looks sweet, do you plan to do more? I def want a projector retrofit at some point.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:31 PM
E_K
The projectors you can get either on ebay or any other site. I get these from hidplanet.com.

I posted a general DIY for retrofits before in the past, it's not that hard. Otherwise, I've quoted people $300 for the labor.

But my current plans are to finish this project, then 2 other guy's lights. After that, I'm going to work on my own lights for about 2-3 weeks before I make any committments for people.

Hopefully LCA575 will post pics of the signal light CCFLs soon.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:34 PM
E_K, I tried to PM you but your box is full, do you have the DIY handy as I would like to attempt this myself.

Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: preview of a headlight project