Notices

Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2009 | 07:22 AM
As soon as I heard of the mod, I contacted Chekz, since he had a clock for sale. Picked it up yesterday.....he's also selling an 05 cluster, 6MT, non-navi for a good price, contact him if you need one.

Old 04-14-2009 | 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by vietster
never knew about swapping out the clock, looks sweet! where did you guys order the newer clocks from? was it hard to swap out?
^^ Here's Aorbeta's (Alan) message to me:

Hey Tom,
"Sorry, no diagram as it was pretty easy for the connections. If you take a look on the outside of the housing it lists what the 4 wires do. It should be ground, +12v, and +/- illumination. If I remember correctly, all I did was desolder the connector from an 03 clock and wire it up to the 05 clock. Also, you have to again remove the stock clock from its shell and then place the guts of the 05 clock in the 03 shell so it will mount like the 03 clock in your AC housing. Sorry, no pics of the process as it was a one off kind of thing".

Thanks Alan!

The only thing that I have to add is that you WILL wind up cutting up the 03/04 clock housing, because the new clock is slightly bigger and will not fit. Also, I just cut into the wires and swapped them out (03 wiring spliced into the 05 wiring harness) instead of doing the desoldering thing. I also ended up using a combination of electrical tape and screws to secure it in the right place (got lazy cause it was late), but you cant see a thing once it's mounted, and it looks sweet. I'll go back out on the weekend and probably wind up replacing the tape with screws or plastic glue, dunno yet. I'll post pics I took when I get home from work tonight.

Last edited by tom's_Z; 04-14-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-14-2009 | 11:06 AM
|
Hey Wyatt,
Sounds like you're a busy guy. I'm just busting on you to take picture. You've got better things to do than shooting pics of wiring harnesses I hope the new job is treating you well. Congrats on the incoming arrival!! boy or girl? ever get the Stillen SC installed???
Thanks Alan!
It's another Boy!!! = ))) Alexander is due July 6th (another scheduled c-section)

Yes, very slammed. The new job has it's moments - proprietary ('in house') system and not many willing to help learn the tool - so it's rough sometimes.

I've had the Stg2 way too long (over a year now) - just sitting and collecting dust - so I talked to Sharif over @ Forged Performance and got a quote on install. I'm hoping to get it done in the new few weeks - Yippie! I'll post up some pics and/or send them to your personal e-mail addy. THANKS for coming back to this thread and helping so many members out btw buddy - you are a fantastic guy Alan!!

I comlpeted the clock swap with Alan's help, will post pics tomorrow! Looks HOT! Thanks Alan, and Wyatt for pointing out this mod to me!
Wow Tom! - You don't mess around!!! Insanely quick turnaround.
Isn't it just gorgeous! I am not kidding when I say that when I drive (especially at night) the coupe, I glance over at the clock and stare at the halo's ALL THE TIME!!! It really made my 03' into a 'newer' car with those two mod's. I feel like I'm driving something more closer to 'up-to-date' rather than the flat gauge and the horrible lit clock. ENJOY THEM Buddy!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Old 04-14-2009 | 11:17 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Wyatt! Just checked on the harness, it's still in Canada....another few days....still, I'm enjoying the clock! Thank God is was a small mod!

Old 04-14-2009 | 01:27 PM
Do you have any pictures of the '05 clock in your car? I'm interested to see how it came out

Old 04-14-2009 | 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by bigman21035
Do you have any pictures of the '05 clock in your car? I'm interested to see how it came out
Here you go! The first pic on the left is with the lights on, I'll get some at night later on. Very clean, no?? The lighting is much much better than the 03/04 clocks.

Attached Thumbnails Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'-clock1.jpg   Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'-clock2.jpg   Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'-clock3.jpg  

Last edited by tom's_Z; 04-14-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2009 | 02:43 PM
thanks for the info tom, are you planning to post a DIY cluster swap when you get your harness? looks like a tough project

Old 04-14-2009 | 04:55 PM
bump

Old 04-14-2009 | 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by vietster
thanks for the info tom, are you planning to post a DIY cluster swap when you get your harness? looks like a tough project
Yeah, for sure. I'll make sure I have my camera with me when I start. In the meantime, I posted pics of the clock mod above^^.

Last edited by tom's_Z; 04-14-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2009 | 10:13 AM
tom, that clock looks awesome. its funny how all the new 05/06 gear really makes our 03 cars look dated.

here is something interesting to think about though.... I wonder if it is possible to do an entire dash conversion to a new entire top dash? With already being able to swap new gauge clusters, new steering wheel, etc, the only thing really missing (other than the A/C controls being a **** on the new G's) is having the new dash such that the clock is in between the digital readouts.

I wonder if that would be a major PITA?

Old 04-15-2009 | 10:18 AM
Thanks, I like the way the clock looks too, and it only costs peanuts to do.

As for replacing the dash - I looked into that when I crashed my car (blown passenger bag). But the dash mounting points are different, and the airbag on the passenger side won't fit, as the harness and mounts are also differrent. I am sure it can be modified with lots of work, but that IS a real PITA. Replacing the 03 dash took several hours, and you can add several hours more for modification, if it can be done. I happen to think that 05 looks a little cleaner, but not enough to go through all the trouble.

Last edited by tom's_Z; 04-15-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2009 | 10:28 AM
Oh, different mounting points/airbag issues? LAME! Yea, I won't be touching that then.

Luckily, the updated clock makes it pretty much look as good!

Old 04-15-2009 | 06:07 PM
|
Looks FANTASTIC Tom!!

I have an extra 03 clock (spare) and want to purchase another 06' clock for "backup" just in case I hose Alan's clock. I say that b/c I had a micro-fiber towel trying to clean it the other day and since it doesn't have the plastic cover on it, one of the clock 'hands' got caught, but luckily didn't break or hurt the function of the clock.

I just want to document how to do the "clock swap", so I can re-create it - if necesary.

Alan was nice enough to take an 03' and a 06' clock and do the mod for me and ship it back on his dime!!!!!!! Thanks again Alan!

Tom - Let me know if you can create a DIY for the "clock swap" or if you have already...I might have missed it - wife has me running around fixing up baby room and I get little time to log on here. = (

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Old 04-15-2009 | 08:07 PM
Ok, but I will have to round up some pics of what I did first. Though the underlying stuff is a little bit disturbing, since I had to cut up the original housing! I'll post by Saturday! I would post sooner but I also have a one year old daughter..

As for cleaning the clock, use a toothbrush, I think it will work better. Alan and I both had to remove the clock hands to take it out of the 06 housing, but they clip right back in.

Old 04-16-2009 | 03:58 PM
|
Thumbs up

Ok, but I will have to round up some pics of what I did first. Though the underlying stuff is a little bit disturbing, since I had to cut up the original housing! I'll post by Saturday! I would post sooner but I also have a one year old daughter..

As for cleaning the clock, use a toothbrush, I think it will work better. Alan and I both had to remove the clock hands to take it out of the 06 housing, but they clip right back in.
^ Awesome! Trust me - we ALL appreciate all the hard work and time/energy put into this.

Oh - I totally understand the children thing. They are fantastic and require a lot of attention, but it's all fun and a great blessing!!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'