Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2006 | 08:20 PM
The goblin resurrection
Premier Member
I have been very busy and have not had a chance to look over it anymore

Old 11-17-2006 | 08:39 PM
Why do I bother to DIY???
Show us some results and quit teasing ....

Old 11-24-2006 | 06:55 PM
|
Unhappy

**UPDATE**

Well bad bad news today. I got the part in hand from my buddy (thanks buddy!, he's looking over my shoulder wondering why the heck we care so much about cars..lol..he's a arcade game freak, but not a car guy..)

Anyways, like I said, I have the cluster!! That's the only GOOD NEWS.

The problem is that it has NO PIGTAILS.

The e-bay item was listed as having pig tails and shows a picture of the back of the cluster. The backing looks a lot different from the one on this 2005. It could be a mix up and they took a picture of a 2003 or something.

I'll post the (2) pictures later on tonight...

Here is the e-mail message to the seller I just sent out tonight:

Hey,

I've received the gauge cluster in a timely manner to which I'm thankful for, but I have an issue with it.

In the "Item Description" you state that the cluster is "Complete with Pigtails". This is also reflected in the photograph displaying the BACK of the cluster.

My cluster does not look anything like the backing that you supplied through the photograph. It also has NO PIGTAILS still attached OR boxed up within the cluster packaging.

The main reason I bid on this cluster is because you advertised that it had the 'Pigtails'.

I can tell from your feedback that you are a trust worthy seller and that this is most likely a simple mistake.

Mistake or not, I still expect the item to be sold as advertised.

Let me know when you send the pigtails out, I'll expect them within a week.

Sincerely,

*&%^^$

Old 11-24-2006 | 07:56 PM
Oh dang! Well hope you get this resolved...

Old 11-24-2006 | 10:39 PM
|
^ Yeah me too!

I'll let you all know what response I get.

I'll post the pics tomorrow (or this weekend sometime).

P.s. I've got another negative comment, but it's just a *thought* of mine that I had while driving the car one day and thinking about needing to take it in for it's oil change at the dealer. The dealer does my oil changes for free (it's actually built into the extended warranty that I purchase..yes, I was that dumb@ss that bought one of those rip off deals, but I've got a great story behind that for another thread sometime..) Anyways, while thinking about needing to take it in to the dealer, I thought holy crud, what if I take it in one day (if this project is successful) and they notice I have a different cluster in that's not my model year!?!?!? They would most likely VOID my warranty, considering that I had to 'rig' the thing to work.

I mean let's face it, the dealer's know just about everything there is to know about this car. My regular guy @ the dealer told me about the SKYLINE badging!! and later told me about the 2006 headlamps being a 'plug n play'. I mean, I learned about the Skyline deal from my dealer dude before anyone else!!

So, if he knows that much (which he should to some degree) then he's going to know that the 05-06 clusters are NOT plug n play and that hard wiring the cluster in, *could* FRY my electronics, thus forcing them to void my warranty.

What is ya'lls .02?

Old 11-25-2006 | 11:51 PM
Banned
I would be surprised if a dealer noticed a different cluster, as they are used to seeing them (just not in your year). If you put a Lexus cluster in there, then I would say they would notice.

However, you do bring up a good point about warranty, any electronic device that connects to the cluster will most likely be stripped of its warranty if the dealer notices the change.

But...................

Who cares about a warranty?

I just turned 16K miles and I'm on my 2nd set of pistons with basically no warranty left anywhere on the car!!!!!

Old 11-26-2006 | 07:02 PM
|
Red face

Who cares about a warranty?
I do.

Look,
The dealer guy that I work with all the time notices everything. He mentioned to me that another guy kept bringing in his G wanting them to replace his clutch b/c it kept wearing out so quickly, but that he would not comply b/c he said the guy put on huge lipped wheels that weigh too much and he races the car and wears the clutch out himself. He then went on to say that he couldn't believe that this person would spend the money on those wheels and the 2006 headlamps.

When I walked up to the car, I didn't notice it was a 2005. I thought it was an 06'. It's a black G, and was parked in the lower parking deck (dark surroundings)...anyways, I didn't realize it until he mentioned getting the 06 lights for the 05 model.

My point is, I see him all the time and he even replaced my drivers side skirt and my passenger interior door (the entire thing!) after his guys put a 'guage' in the inside door panel b/c they shut the door with the seat belt thing stuck side ways so it was pinned between the passenger seat and the interior door panel. The drivers side skirt was cut (paint missing) and was torn partially off the car (My guess is that a tired oil guy stepped on it with his weight instead of the interior flooring of the car...). He replaced it all which is great, BUT...He knows my car (year, color, tranny etc etc etc).

I have a service agreement (I paid for) where I get my oil changed from them.

He would NOTICE. Trust me.

I'm not sure how much warranty (years) I have left. I would have to check.

I have 23K on her now, so I think I've got a ways to go, or TIME to go.

I still have the cluster, and plan on putting it in. I'll just have to "Cover My Bases" before doing so. No sense in shooting myself in the foot so to speak, when I paid for the extended warranty.

I have some time to play with so to speak. I'll keep on this project...

Last edited by WhiteonWheat; 11-26-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2006 | 07:01 PM
From my understanding, they can only void your warranty for things that were caused by the mod. An oil change isn't directly linked to your cluster (at least I don't think), so they would need to uphold the warranty work you paid for.

The guy you cited voided his warranty because the wheels he put on had a direct affect to his clutch burning out due to the weight of the wheels (per your dealer's statement - may be difficult to prove by him). Essentially, he would need to prove without a doubt that whatever mod you added...caused the damage to the car.

So...he'd have a hard time voiding your entire warranty based on a cluster swap. The electronics maybe fairly involved there though...but I assume the cluster is more like a monitor...meant for displaying info rather than processing it.

Old 11-27-2006 | 08:18 PM
|
^ I'm with you on the whole warranty thing, but it's a risk non the less.

I would like to keep my warranty and the extended that I paid too much money for.

Either way, we are in a holding pattern for the PIGTAILS via the seller on e-bay before I can or can not void my warranty. lol

I'll keep everyone posted on what comes of the e-mail I sent the guy...

Old 11-27-2006 | 08:41 PM
Old 12-04-2006 | 09:43 PM
WhiteonWheat,
I just purchased an 05 cluster from ebay for $51.00 and have been looking over the service manual. I'll go over what I have found in my next post.

I just wanted to let you know that I'm about 99% positive that you have purchased the wrong gauge cluster. I've compared the pics of the back of your cluster(from your ebay auction) to the pics of the back of the cluster that I have purchased and compared them to the diagrams in the manual. Looks as though you purchased a gauge cluster for a sedan as the connectors are not the same on the coupe cluster and sedan cluster.

Pics for reference are attached. The pic of the cluster with the flying leads from the wiring harness is your gauge cluster, the second pic with the white connectors is the gauge cluster that I purchased, the last is the diagram from the 05 coupe service manual. I'm not sure of the compatability between the sedan cluster and coupe.

Attached Thumbnails Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'-100_0341.jpg   Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'-2.jpg   Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'-05gaugecluster.jpg  
Old 12-04-2006 | 09:48 PM
aorbeta...what kind of car do you have? 6mt? navi?

Old 12-04-2006 | 09:49 PM
WhiteonWheat said that the pic didn't match what he got...it's different from the ebay pic. So I assume he actually got the one you have.

Old 12-04-2006 | 10:09 PM
This is what I've found for the 05 cluster breakout. There are 2 connectors, M19 and M20. Pin numbers are assigned 1-40 for the M19 and 41-52 for the M20.

M19 connector
Pin#/Description/(Color)
1. Ground (B)
4. CAN H (L)
5. CAN L (P)
7. FUEL SIG (W/B)
9. LIGHT- (R/Y)
10. LIGHT+ (R/L)
14. RF/SROOF/SPEED SIGNAL etc. (W/G)
18. IGN ACC or ON (LG)
20. RELEASED(STOP LAMP SWITCH) (P/L)
21. BATTERY (R/W)
22. IGN ON OR START (G/Y)
23. IGN ON OR START (G/Y) teed with 22
24. GROUND (B)
25. GROUND (B)
26. A/T DEVICE SHIFT DOWN (PU/R) auto shift mode
27. A/T DEVICE SHIFT UP (G) auto shift mode
30. A/T DEVICE N (W/G) auto shift mode
31. AUTO SELECT
32. NEUT FROM ECM (G/W)
33. TCM (GY/R)
37. SLIP LAMP (OR/B)
38. AIR BAG (R/W)
39. VDC OFF (B/R)
40. WASHER LEVEL W

M20 connector
Pin#/Description/(Color)
41. ALTERNATOR (W/R)
43. PARKING BRAKE (PU/R)
44. BRAKE FLUID (W)
45. NAVI CONTROLLER BUS- (W/R)
46. NAVI CONTROLLER BUS+ (B/R)
47. SEAT BELT (BR)
51. ABS (L/W)
52. NAVI CABLE SHIELD

I've searched the service manual pretty thoroughly. It looks as though a mojority of the information to the cluster comes through the CAN system. I'm unsure as to whether there is a difference between AT/MT cluster with/without nav.

Old 12-04-2006 | 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by SuperShick
aorbeta...what kind of car do you have? 6mt? navi?
I have an 03 6-speed no Nav.

Last edited by aorbeta; 12-04-2006 at 10:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'