Notices

Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superduperjeff
is the nismo one a complete cluster or just a silver overlay,like a colored gauge kit.i will double check on the consult on monday but i am pretty sure whenever you swap a can part you must initialize it to the bcm.it is nice to hear that you have a game plan and are not going to just start hacking wires and playing the guessing game,i get to fix that kind of stuff all the time.it is refreshing to know that you have researched and thought this out ,one more person restores my faith in humanity,thanks
Also, if you have a spare consult laying around I'll give ya $50 for it

Old 12-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

^ Wow!
Now, I'm totally taken back and amazed with you two!

I was the idiot that was going to "hack" and "Guess", but now ya'll have me really re-thinking this whole thing and pretty much letting Aorbeta 'taking the wheel' so to speak.

I really haven't done much to contribute to my own idea, sorry to say. Other than buying the necessary part.

I'm VERY interested in this "Inline" adapter that you speak of Aorbeta. Would I have to essentially find and buy another 03 cluster to achieve this? I'm guessing the answer is YES from your post.

If you actually get this thing to work, I need to send you some of the funds that I've recieved from other members that wanted to help ['contribute'] to the cause. You seem to have it down man!

Having an EE take over the reigns is what we really needed and a blessing!
So THANK YOU (and I'm sure I speak for all the other members that are truly interested in this mod).

I don't want to take a seat back though and just watch as ya'll do all the work, so if there is anything (ANYTHING) that I can do to help out in any way, please let me know!!!!!

*Drooling @ the thought of those halos lit up in my dash some day. Ahhhhh!

Old 12-17-2006, 11:13 PM
You got $$$ from other members to do this mod?! Sweet. Yup, hoping to be able to desolder the connectors from the 03 cluster so I don't hack up my harness. Spent another $50 on ebay for an 03 cluster. Hopefully the stock connectors on the 03 cluster are thru-hole. Still need those 05 connectors. Can't find 'em anywhere

Old 12-22-2006, 08:58 PM
^ Yeah, not much but it's the thought that counts! I must say that RocketG35 is a fantastic guy and a stand-up type of Member that we should all be proud to associate ourselves with!

I'm willing to pitch in some cash as well, especially if you figure all this jazz out and even come up with a middle man connector! Sweet!

You'll have to explain this connector in more detail when you complete it. I'm VERY interested in not having to 'hack' up my wiring harness as well.

**Update (kind of)
Took my coupe in for an oil change @ the dealership and was given a sedan loaner b/c they had to adjust my driver side window (it wasn't making a complete seal and was causing excessive wind noise around 75mph+). The sedan had the 05' Cluster. It's the second time I've seen it in person. The first time was very briefly @ the AJC Auto Show. This time around, I really got to examine it in detail and see what it looked like dimmed, middle range, and fully lit.

I must say those Halo's are the "KEY". Very nicely done!

On the "CON" side, I do pefer the 'sportyness' look of the original gauges with the increment lines in-between the main MPH's. Hard to explain, but the 03's have (I believe) 9 'hash/tick' marks in between say 20mph & 40mph. The 05's have like 3, so overall it's got a ton less hash marks. Just looks like it's missing something @ first glance and it took me awhile to realize that was it. Kind of a little less sporty to me...

Either way, I still would like to put the 05' in for a change of pace and those halo's.

Last edited by WhiteonWheat; 12-22-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:50 AM
Why do I bother to DIY???
Thanks WhiteonWheat! I'd like to think that my little contribution was more than "not much"! Good luck guys...

Old 12-23-2006, 03:59 PM
^ Oh man, I swear I didn't mean it like that bro. I was just letting Aorbeta know that I wasn't getting hundreds of dollars for doing basically nothing. I do think that ANY amount was ABOVE and BEYOND the calll of duty and it is Greatly appreciated trust me.

Words (written/typing) can sometimes come off wrong, and in this case, it might have come off way wrong. Sorry Bro!!

Old 12-25-2006, 03:12 AM
Why do I bother to DIY???
Hey I was just joking (notice the sniley face)...no worries!!

Old 12-26-2006, 03:07 PM
^ Cool!

Old 12-31-2006, 11:41 AM
Still have not been able to find a set of 05 connectors. I did get another 03 gauge cluster from ebay so I could remove the male connectors for my inline adapter.

There are also a few more complications when looking at the two clusters. The first is that the two housings are physically different. I'm referring to the black plastic housing that the gauge cluster sits in. The 03 housing is thicker than the 05 housing. The 05 housing has additional supports at the top of the cluster and 2 of the 4 mounting holes on the bottom are in different locations.

The good thing is that the 05 cluster will fit into the 03 housing with a little help. The 05 cluster would need standoffs to make up for the added space in the 03 housing.

Also, if you look at the 03 and 05 gauges, the "plunger" or push button that controls the trip computer is on the left side of the 03 cluster, and on the right side of the 05 cluster. This would mean you would have to either a) drill a new hole in your clear plastic housing and figure out what to do with the remaining hole or b) find a new clear plastic housing with the correct hole location and hope that it fits the 03 shroud.

Pic are attached for reference.

Attached Thumbnails Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'-05-cluster-notes.jpg   Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'-03-cluster-note.jpg   Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'-05-cluster-side-notes.jpg   Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'-03-cluster-side-notes.jpg   Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'-05-cluster-03-housing-notes.jpg  

Old 12-31-2006, 04:39 PM
^ Arobeta,
In your last picture, did you "TRIM" off those extra tabs?

Old 12-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Nope, that's the 05 gauge cluster electronics in the 03 black plastic housing.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:59 PM
^ Ah, ok. Sweet! Nicely done man, nicely done.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Just purchased a new clear plastic cover from an 06 gauge cluster. This way I will not need to drill a hole in my existing clear plastic cover for the trip computer plunger.

I'm getting a little impatient in my quest for 05 connectors. If I don't find any 05 connectors I will just solder directly to the 05 cluster that I have. Once I finish my double din install I'll look into doing this.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:37 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
What kind of bulbs are used for 06 cluster? And how many?

Old 01-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Not sure of the quantity, but the 05/06 gauge cluster uses LED's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Put 05-06' Gauge Cluster in my 03'