The M-Spot For General discussion of the M35/M45

M vs 3-series, 5-series, E-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snowtrax
The only thing about the IS250 is that it's very small. It's too small for me and it would be too small for my mom as well. I would think the GS would be the perfect size and my mom has actually strongly looked into an '06 GS300 before but ended up with an '08 X mainly because my dad likes the sportiness. I would push her into an ES or a GS depending on personal preference.
I think this is probably spot on. I know she doesn't want a very small car, and to her the IS would be too small. GS is probably spot on, I don't think she even knows about that model, so it very well may be worth a look.

I know she actually went to an infiniti dealer that had a used MB E350 on the lot and liked it quite a bit so we'll see what happens.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would actually recommend the M, hands down. I am your mother's age and have actually been comparing a BMW 550 vs an M35/45, and now drive a 2007 G35.

I love the handling and performance of the G. The 3 Series is actually a substantially smaller car than the G in the interior. Drives and handles great. The 5 Series interior is maybe barely bigger than the G35, but less roomy than the M35. To equip a 5 series with the same amenities as an M will likely drive a significant difference in the price. Unless she is really into performance, I suspect the ride handling balance of the M would be preferred. The other very real difference in the M and the other choices mentioned will be the maintenance expense in the long-term, and reliability. Suggest you check Consumer Reports or search for True Delta data on reliability to compare the various models. Even though the warranties will likely cover problems you still have to take the car in and be inconvenienced. I have read too many accounts from actual drivers that complain about the total time their BMW's or Mercedes have been in the shop. I think that Infiniti is a good balance of value, features, quality, and reliability.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
either the M35 or E350 comes in a non-sport package (for more of a comfort ride) I've owned the following: ES330, E350 sport, 530i, M35 sport (current)...the ES are small inside (but I'm 6'3" so room was my thing), the E350 was nice (maint was high), 530i (interior was boring), the M35 is nice and sporty...I like that I can mod it and still maintain the luxury/sport aspect....

I think if your mom is looking for comfort, class, interior design and room, a good choice would be an06 Lexus LS430 -- get them for cheap. really a luxury car with decent power but mainly a cruising car to enjoy. My cousin has one -- when I drive it, I don't bother with the performance, just mainly lots of leg room to be chill'n.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
06 ls is hella boring looking. second gen gs is still nice and classic