The M-Spot For General discussion of the M35/M45

M vs 3-series, 5-series, E-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M vs 3-series, 5-series, E-Class

Alright everyone, I need ammo.

My mom (current vehicle 2001 (I think) Volvo S80T6, 130k miles) wants a new (read: used) car. Shes currently looking around at the BMW 3 series and MB E class, and I'm trying to steer her into an M.

I had an 05 G35 (that you all on these boards helped me with advise on back in 08 when I was buying mine) up until about a month ago when I had to sell it due to some financial concerns. But I absolutely loved it and will be buying another one ASAP. But enough about me!

Shes in her mid 50's, she likes a comfortable ride and amenities that go with luxury brands. She did NOT like the ride in my G, but as it was a coupe model /w sport package, I expected that.

She was in the infiniti dealer with me several years ago and saw an M in the showroom and ALMOST immediately traded her volvo in for the M. She loved the wood panelling (big thing for her, she even added new panelling in her volvo for it), and the way the dash looked (I believe that one was an 07).

The only other major thing is that the interior can NOT be black leather. I love it, she hates it. So basically cream interior with wood panelling would probably do it.

Her price range is say, 18-23k. I MIGHT be able to push it a little higher if theres some compelling reason, but shes a penny pincher (I know, hard to be in this market, but she is). Reliability IS very important to her, and I know repairs are expensive on some of those German cars, especially BMW I believe.

So, M owners, give me ammo for this! Help me get my mom in an M!

Old 01-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
so why would u wanna push ur mom to getting an m? she probably doesnt even care for the performance so she'd jus be throwing her money away. u drive ur moms car or something thats why u want her to get it so bad?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts
the 3 series is a great car, the 5 is better and the e class is great all well above the M in the luxury and comfort area's from you have told us I think the E class would be the best car for her.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I would recommend either a Lexus ES or a 2006 GS300 because they're both nice cars but she won't be shelling out a ton of money for performance-oriented gas mileage.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:07 PM
even new is 250 are great cars for women

Old 01-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if she want's comfort then the M is not the car for her. It's a firm ride. I would suggest a Lexus ES for comfort and reliability.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
so why would u wanna push ur mom to getting an m? she probably doesnt even care for the performance so she'd jus be throwing her money away. u drive ur moms car or something thats why u want her to get it so bad?
First off, please don't think I'm some young kid trying to do this for my personal gain.

As for everyone else, interesting, I've never ridden in an M, just the way it is marketed and size car it is, I was thinking infiniti was marketing more to that style and feel of a vehicle. Guess I was wrong!

Thanks for the other suggestions. The IS/GS line is one I hadn't thought of, so I will maybe mention that to her as well.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:16 PM
^oh ok why the push then?

Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
^oh ok why the push then?
Two reasons primarily:

#1: My family owns our own business. My parents feel that if they go and buy a premium car that their employees will feel that the business is doing very well and they deserve raises (despite the fact that my families money IS NOT the same as the company money. They earn their pay like everyone else). This was very apparent when my dad wanted a 911 (very used of course, we're not super well off to get a car that is 40-50k+). While I personally dont think that their personal cars should matter, Infiniti ISN'T as much of a "snob" brand as MB or BMW.

#2: I'm not a big fan of either of those makes. While I love the performance of BMW, I think their interiors are straight out of the 90's. MB is okay I suppose, but something about their cars has just never done it for me.

That said, you're right, the car is not for me whatsoever, I'll probably drive it maybe 5 times in its lifetime. And if the M is as sporty as you all say, then perhaps it is the wrong choice after all.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 PM
with that said i think 07 5 series or 07 e class are perfect cars for a older couple thats not trying to overly flaunt their status. the newest gen of those cars are butt ugly and 3 series sedan is jus lame looking lol

Old 01-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
I think his referring to an Infinti M car, at which point I dont see much performance increase over the G, so she'll be ok eco wise and repairs will be cheaper than the german competitors. I strongly recommend an IS250, or equivalent lexus, infiniti are not nearly as known to the US; however, lexus is known by all people as a lexury car so if she wants luxury she'd be fine in a lexus, and performance would be on the low.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:54 PM
m looks a bit weird in the back

Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The only thing about the IS250 is that it's very small. It's too small for me and it would be too small for my mom as well. I would think the GS would be the perfect size and my mom has actually strongly looked into an '06 GS300 before but ended up with an '08 X mainly because my dad likes the sportiness. I would push her into an ES or a GS depending on personal preference.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i think that if your mom wants a very comfortable ride, then she should mayb go with an old 7 series. they are very big and bulky but thats what their made for! the leg room in the back feels like ur sitting in a limo. my mom currently drives on and was thinking of selling it for my G but decided against it mainly because it was too good of a car to sell. used 740iL's from around 2001 are under 10k easy. they are reliable, not as much as a toyota or honda, but are great to drive. the only problem is, the cup holders are ina very weird place and cant fit anything but a small mcdonalds sippy cup...

Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by n1njad4niel
i think that if your mom wants a very comfortable ride, then she should mayb go with an old 7 series. they are very big and bulky but thats what their made for! the leg room in the back feels like ur sitting in a limo. my mom currently drives on and was thinking of selling it for my G but decided against it mainly because it was too good of a car to sell. used 740iL's from around 2001 are under 10k easy. they are reliable, not as much as a toyota or honda, but are great to drive. the only problem is, the cup holders are ina very weird place and cant fit anything but a small mcdonalds sippy cup...
Hmmmm, I'll take a glance at a 7 series, not sure how keen she'd be on a car thats a similar year as what she has, but you never know. Theres a 745 in my parking lot all the time that looks pretty sharp, but I'm pretty sure thats newer and over their price range.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M vs 3-series, 5-series, E-Class