Team O'Neil Winter Driving School - RWD FTW!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2010 | 11:14 PM
|
Team O'Neil Winter Driving School - RWD FTW!

Went for a 2 day course in Whitefield NH this weekend along with COMSCC and the NE Audi Club, great guys. Did some things you have no real business doing on snow in a G Coupe, but FTW! And no salt used here

For all you guys out there who say you cannot drive a G in the snow

Road course, skidpad, slalom and uphill loop with more gates, and Time Trial to top it off.

Who says Winter driving can't be fun with massive torque and too large snow tires?

Old 03-01-2010 | 12:36 AM
Premier Member
looks like fun.... but cudnt really tell from the inside cam if you were slipping around or what?

Old 03-01-2010 | 09:52 AM
|
I'll have to post some of the course (TT) shots from outside with my bud's STi. When you see how much he's sliding with 4 monster snows and AWD, you get a better idea of how slick it was. Just picture several inches of sloppy snow over ice, distributed thin and thick depending where you are.

Lol, look at the TT video before the last 2 gates, the car is sideways before the box. Can't believe I didn't take down a cone in 3 runs, the car was basically swinging from one side of the pendulum to the other...Lift...Turn...Throttle...Lift...Turn...Thr ottle.

Be better if I had a cam inside, the amount of steering input isn't that much but you can see when the wheel is wound up and not. What a blast!

Old 03-01-2010 | 10:32 AM
Administrator
Looks like you had alot of fun

I did that 3 yrs ago and never regretted it.

Old 03-01-2010 | 12:12 PM
|
Def worth it, and thanks to the Audi club guys we got two days at $250 USD total, a screaming deal. I think normally the one day course is more like $400 or more. They had (along with COMSCC) a lot of people volunteering their time for instructors, course marshals, etc, which I am sure cut the costs way down.

Old 03-01-2010 | 08:47 PM
|
Originally Posted by syshs
looks like fun.... but cudnt really tell from the inside cam if you were slipping around or what?
Yep. Sliding. Throwing snow. Big Smiles.

Made both those next gates and did not kill one cone in all the TT course, kind of amazing considering this approach angle

Old 03-01-2010 | 08:48 PM
|
Originally Posted by HomieG35
Can I use someone else's G35 for this?
Absolutely! I volunteer almost anyone else's G

Old 03-16-2010 | 07:45 PM
You need to get out on the lake for some ice autocross. I never managed to goto one when I was living in Boston.

I forget what club pulls off the rallycross events in Vermont but those were a hoot to watch.

Oh do I miss the "Live Free or Die" Plates.

Attached Thumbnails Team O'Neil Winter Driving School - RWD FTW!-file0001623.jpg  
Old 03-17-2010 | 01:01 AM
|
Originally Posted by GWord256
You need to get out on the lake for some ice autocross. I never managed to goto one when I was living in Boston.

I forget what club pulls off the rallycross events in Vermont but those were a hoot to watch.

Oh do I miss the "Live Free or Die" Plates.
IDK who does the lake stuff, either. We had a series in CT this Winter on a closed circuit somewhere near Stafford, CT. I didn't get out there for it

Best license plate in the country, no doubt (and no offense to anyone else, just that is the plate!)

Jumbo pics here, fun stuff:
http://picasaweb.google.com/skylineg...WinterDriving#

We tore the skidpad up pretty thoroughly, what a blast.

All but about 2 or 3 cars there were AWD with a sprinkling of FWD. Pansies
I noted BMW cleverly has moved their X from the 335ix to X-drive on the side now. Before that sunk in I thought, "hey, this 3 series is doing really well!" He had it 50/50 F/R for snow. Pfffft!