Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
nice good job

Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 PM
I haz hugz to givez

Received 286 Likes on 263 Posts
I do love me some new toys!

Old 12-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Its hard to find much info on a swap of this nature in the G, just curious, what is the ball park $ range on a swap like this? I know there are alot of variables I was just curious as from a performance perspective the pricing for turbo kits for our existing motors seem quite ridiculous when you measure the cost vs power ratio especially considering it seems anyone over 400whp is going built engine. Id imagine a swap like this would be on the same dollar range but a bigger/more powerful platform for future mods from there..in for the build!

Old 12-12-2013, 01:19 AM
Received 211 Likes on 179 Posts
Ball park..... 5-20k. 5 if you do everything. 20 if its a built ls swap, supercharger... Etc. all depends on you.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by guitarrocker98
Ball park..... 5-20k. 5 if you do everything. 20 if its a built ls swap, supercharger... Etc. all depends on you.
Ok, that's what i was wondering. Obviously it can get as expensive as you want it to be, i know that road all to well haha. Id imagine those larger displacement motors make quite a bit more than your average motor with basic bolt on's and simple mods, never been a v8 guy but im sure basic bolt on's with a motor like that is going to feel pretty damn good in the G. Cant wait to see more progress!

Old 12-12-2013, 01:39 AM
Question for the OP. Do you plan on running A/C & power steering? How will this setup be done on this platform/bay?

Old 12-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts
AC/Cruise Control/Traction Control/Launch Control can be had if you use Syvecs, which is a standalone. Expensive tho, over 2.5k plus more expensive tuning.

Guitarocker - Unfortunately you DEF can't even get close to doing this by 5k. Even if you get an amazing deal on the engine/tranny. Believe I thought it was maaaaybe possible to be like 6,7. It's not. Bare minimum, doing old school cable driven pedal, no AC, no traction control, no oem tach, non-OEM pedal, I would say you END up at 10K.
I'm doing it mine to be a full DD with all of the OEM ammenities, and it's prolly gonna end up at 16k according to my calculations.

Though to be honest I don't want to make this a thread about the price of an LS swap guys, since this is my original progress thread and I don't want it to derail into an all out price war lol. There are other threads that talk about the diff. costs of an LS swap.

At the end of the day, the price sucks, it's more than the price of the car, but you'll get infinite low end torque

Last edited by ConradoR; 12-12-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:04 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Heh, having previously owned a car with an LS engine, "infinite low-end torque" is a good description

Old 12-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
this thread makes me so giddy.

I'm curious about what kind of exhaust setup you're going to have. Will you be able to use OEM, aftermarket G catback, or have to get something custom fabricated? Sorry if that is a dumb question.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:43 AM
^ No prob!

Well I haven't decided exactly what my exhaust setup will be, I still want to talk to a few shops about it.

From my research, the HKS is not wide enough for the LS. Also, the long tube headers that I'll be adding would require me to customize the system even if I decided to keep the HKS end.

The plan for the exhaust is to keep it relativelly quiet. I want a setup that you can def hear the V8 guntle and hear the power at high rpms, but I don't want this to be too loud, specially at idle/cruising speeds. I even played around the possibility of using Trailblazer SS truck manifolds instead of the headers to keep the tone down, but I think I'll lose a lot of HP doing so.

I'll certainly be adding a muffler to it, won't be straight pipes all the way thru.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:11 PM
I agree when I said 5k it was low, I was just saying. 7-8 is a more realistic low. Me pricing out the ls swap or a Jz swap, I come out to around 25k or so. But that's not just doing a stock swap....... Keep the updates coming I won't talk money here any more

Old 12-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by ConradoR
^ No prob!

Well I haven't decided exactly what my exhaust setup will be, I still want to talk to a few shops about it.

From my research, the HKS is not wide enough for the LS. Also, the long tube headers that I'll be adding would require me to customize the system even if I decided to keep the HKS end.

The plan for the exhaust is to keep it relativelly quiet. I want a setup that you can def hear the V8 guntle and hear the power at high rpms, but I don't want this to be too loud, specially at idle/cruising speeds. I even played around the possibility of using Trailblazer SS truck manifolds instead of the headers to keep the tone down, but I think I'll lose a lot of HP doing so.

I'll certainly be adding a muffler to it, won't be straight pipes all the way thru.
Ever considering doing a typical custom setup w/high flow resonators & muffler of choice to keep the noise down but going with dual e-cut outs for when you do wanna make some noise? I went with a custom 3" exhaust w/vibrant resonators & muffler to keep the standard driving tone to a minimum but it has a 3"electronic cut out right after the down pipe I can open w/a switch to really let the motor exhale. With the ecut out closed you mostly just hear the motor & turbo spool, but open at idle it sounds like a pissed off v8 & screams at the higher rpm's when its open lol! Just an idea!

Wasnt looking to start a price war just wanted to know the general range/budget for these swaps, thanks for the info man! Keep up the good work!

Old 12-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Thats a good idea bud, it's something I have considered, but most likey something that I will do later down the line once the whole build is done. After a while, once I start getting bored again, then I'll look into something like that it will be time to feed the mod bud again

But guys sorry if I sounded harsh on the price stuff I dont mind discussing it I just don't want the thread to go into the sole direction of LS costs. I'm happy to help out tho if people want to pm me SPECIFIC question not like hey what do i need to do and how much it will cost me to do a Swap

Old 12-12-2013, 08:23 PM
You were not harsh at all. I'm not butt hurt at all hahaha. Cost is something I'm interested in as I am looking at doing that sticking with the vq or a Jz swap

Old 12-13-2013, 11:27 AM
So whats the plan for power steering? If you plan on keeping it & I'm not sure this is possible with the g35 but ill mention it because I know people who have done this for various other builds is to use an electronic power steering pump from the mr2. With a little bit of retro fitting this seems to do the job quite well for most & its not too expensive for the pump. I actually am doing this for my build although a different make and model it seems like a nice cheap alternative when swapping in a larger platform or trying to relocate stuff for bay space. Its a heavy pump but a nice bracket & you could easily place it out of viewers eye.

Last edited by digital sol; 12-13-2013 at 11:35 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ConradoR's Progress Thread