ConradoR's Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Received 211 Likes on 179 Posts
Even more so when you get that LS in there...

Old 05-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts
Trying to stay on top of my goals for the car. I've been driving the car about 60 miles a day now (and will continue to do so), all interstate miles, and I am questioning my plan of dropping another 10k on the car (not including the cost of the ls6, t56, fast 102, coil packs, fuel system, etc that I already bought), for the swap, as my G is now nearing 130k miles.
Most of the wear and tear has been replaced, I have just done the wheel bearings, some bushings. Already has aftermarket coils, sway bars, arms, etc). I am currently chasing a worn wheel bearing-type noise whose origin I can't pin-point. I think it's literally what is creating all of these doubts

Not sure how much more will continue to break if I get more and more into tracking the car. I sometimes think it would be wiser to part out and just buy a '14 C7 Vette already... I am also wondering how the G will behave as a daily once the swap is all done and done. No G/Z swapper is actually using their car as their daily, most seem to be drift am-pro or something along those lines

Doesn't help that every modded G that pulls up to me now is a $8,000 pep boyz joke, but I don't really care

PS. I don't wanna buy a daily, I don't wanna have to drive a shittier car all week in order to drive a nicer car on the weekend. I rather just buy a nice one that I can daily. Also, I don't really care about comfort or luxury (of course to an extent, I'm not gonna be gutting the car/removing AC just for the weight shedding)

Thoughts?

Last edited by ConradoR; 05-22-2014 at 03:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JaE35 (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
daily vs track

So fwiw I think the LS swap can be a good daily driver as well as a part time track car. Keeping the daily needs in mind and not going too track radical is likely the key.

When I made my decision I also thought about a vette. In the end I would rather drive my G. Even after 10 years and 200k miles.

I may feel different in a couple years, but for now I'm focusing on working out bugs and reliability. Everyone's balance point between track and DD is different. I think you are doing the right thing by asking yourself what you want out of the car.....stay focused on that and I think you'll be thrilled with the outcome.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Do what you want... Sounds like you are going to be in a GTR soon..... I personally dont mind the people in the 8k pep boys cars... All the kids out there that think they know cars... They will be out of the game as fast as they came in. Totalling MANY G's... We need to thin down the heard... Regardless I just keep in the back of my mind that they can see my car behind the red ropes in the VIP sections... They can read about my car in the magazines. I dont car if its 10 years old. Everything in it is tailored to me! Car has special meaning to me! You cant go out and just buy this car... If you want something insane though I have debated getting a totalled G for like a grand sending it over and getting the Vaydor kit installed then doing a Twin Turbo LS swap in it.... food for thought. 30k-50k 600-1000hp supercar that NO ONE ELSE WILL HAVE... But with that said im tied down for cars as of now finishing up my G and I have a 68 mustang fastback with a 5.0L Coyote motor going into it. Coyote has 400hp... The Stang is no where close to done as im doing an Eleanor rep. on it...

Old 05-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Received 194 Likes on 172 Posts
Replacing your car is easy. Finding something that no one else has and brings you as much joy as your "G" will be very hard. I say keep it and stick to your goals.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
Is the noise coming from the rear or up front?

Old 05-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Hey Hybrid - Agreed with your comments. I look forward to hearing your feedback once your car is finalized!

Hey GuitarRocker - No Auto here ... and GTRs are fast but boring to drive and veeeeerrrrryy stiff ride, way harsher than reg. supercars

Mr Brooks - Agreed, built over bought all day, but the fear is the aging of the car and not the mod level. Any car in the future will get the same mod bug, the only thing one needs to know to determine how modded my cars are, is to know how long I've owned a car, multiply the number of months by 5% value of the car, and you will picture how the car looks lol sad but prolly pretty acurate

JaE35 - I'm not sure I have only heard it driving and haven't had the time to jack it up and spin the tires. It's either the Drivers rear or front. Both wheel bearings and lower control bushings have been replaced

Last edited by ConradoR; 05-23-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Received 194 Likes on 172 Posts
I understand your point but with all the love and one off pieces you've put on your coupe. Me, I'd keep it, finish it and move on to the next project. After I'm done modding my coupe my plans are to purchase a Maserati. That will be my family car.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:21 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
If it's coming from the back try some grease on the cv shaft...dealt with that mess a while back, there's a write up on here

Old 05-23-2014, 12:19 AM
In all honesty... I agree. The GTR to me is a VERY amazing machine... But driving my buddy's Shelby Cobra.... Amazing. no computers no nothing just all motor and driver... The GTR is SOOOOO looked by with its computers... Anyways... I drove the M3, blah. Fun but blah... Mercedes black AMAZING but meh... Porsche's are REALLY fun but for what they are they are pricy. Im excited for the Infiniti Q50 with the GTR motor. That will be fun... But the MOST fun I have had driving has been in a handful of cars. An FD Rx7 so much fun!!! Supra fun!!! but in all honesty the FD was better than the supra haha... Vettes just left me wanting MORE... Vipers Scare me SO BAD... Thats kinda why I liked it. I love the Dodge viper haha one of my absolute favorites! Another one was my inlaws 33 hot rod. Every amazing machine I have driven has been more built... Not really bought they have always been tinkered with!

Old 05-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Yeah the original goal was to build an LS swapped RX7, but I didn't want to end up dealing with the breakdowns of a 20 year old car, and it would be costly to build it from scratch as well.
Also they are very small and at 6'2" I think it would be very cramped for me to use it often.

Really like how they look with the Shine bodykit and a performance oriented stance, though:

Last edited by ConradoR; 05-23-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:53 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
There are very few cars that look as nice as a well built FD

Old 05-23-2014, 09:55 AM

This car was for sale about 3 years ago... One of my biggest regrets is not picking it up... I bought my G instead.... Not a total loss, but This cat hahaha.... (I needed the rear bench)

Old 05-30-2014, 04:00 PM
So I think I found the culprit.
I took the car to Autoglitz and it seems that the SPC camber arm on the driver's side was defective, so I contacted SPC and they will send me a new part for it.

I decided to do a minor overhaul on the suspension system. I will also be doing a rear diff solid bushing, new ears, and new diff cover to take the track abuse. I am also replacing the front tires with 275/30/19s on the 9.5 fronts (the 10.5 rears have 305 30 19s), and I am installing a SPC front camber kit to avoid those tires from being chewed by I-95 in one week.

I am debating whether to do a full Brembo rebuilt right now along with all new pads, or wait for a few weeks to tackle that. I prefer to just keep same set of rotors/pads on and off the track, I realize that this will mean that I won't be able to use track-only pads, but I'm okay with the decreased performance. I am researching the best street/track pads for my setup, currently the top choices are listed below.

I have heard about Stoptech Street performance, EBC Yellow Stuff, Project Mu NS (Have had them and love the streetability, but have never used them on the track), Project Mu B-Force, and Fedoro DS2500. I do care about noise and dust, but of course I am not looking for a pad with zero dust because brake fade will be ridiculous at the track. Price is less of an issue than finding a good overall brake pad, though of course I don't wanna overspend for no reason. Anyone who is familiar with those and is more performance oriented, please chime in. Thanks

Last edited by ConradoR; 05-30-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:47 PM
For Brakes I have Project MU track lines, Rotora 6 pot fronts Brembo 4 pot rears 16in rotors... AMAZING!!! Have not seen to many track days though...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ConradoR's Progress Thread