G35 Drift Journey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
G35 Drift Journey

Hey Guys, I'm starting this thread to document the progression of my G35 and the adventures i'm a part of. It will give me a reason to take more pictures.

It all started in 2007. G35 coupe, 5AT, stock. Shortly after I started drifting Nissan S Chassis.

A few years later it reached this form. 6MT swapped, weekend cruiser, all around good looking car. At this point I had progressed from stock KA to SR and eventually ended up with a VQ swapped S Chassis.

I decided to sell my drift car to fund a business venture in the art of VQ swapping S chassis'. The G35 had seen better days and a quick craigslist search guaranteed I would not be able to sell the car for much. The dumb idea of drifting a G35 popped up and I went with it. A dual caliper e-brake setup and she was ready for the first event.

Sonoma Drift Winter Jam 2015 was awesome. The car did great! It reminded me of a stock power S13... just heavier. The drift season starts up in March and I will be out as often as possible.

Formula D Course:

Turn 11 Course:

Stay tuned for more. Follow @HexaGarage on instagram to see the other things I do.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the progression, I came to the same conclusion trying to sell mine lol. I look forward to building my G again. Cheers

Old 02-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
holy **** @ the dual brakes

Old 02-04-2016, 04:48 AM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
holy **** @ the dual brakes
its a completely different system. allows you to trail or left foot brake, and then use the handbrake to trim your line as well.

nice work. i have a lot of drift history considering I ran/hosted the local drift series here for almost 10yrs. the handling of the g35 is pretty consistent the way I have it set up right now, and I'm resisting the urge to take it back out on the course. at this point it's been over 2 years since I sold my last racecar drifted " officially"

wow.. i just added up the years there.. I'm old

Old 02-28-2016, 11:07 PM
The car handles pretty good. I need as much seat time as possible.

Taking out the sound deadening. Getting it ready for the cage.

It will be a basic 4 with door bars.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:16 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Looks comfy in there

Old 03-09-2016, 06:57 PM
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
I'm in love with this thread right now.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brother, we must be long lost twins?!? I too started out with a S13 (coupe) automatic gettin' it sideways initially with the infamous open diff that I personally swapped the JDM front end with w/o the SR and eventually the 5 spd swap & j30 vlsd... Currently I too daily & drift my G coupe... No back seats (for weight saving purposes and to haul more wheels & tires). All of it is mostly suspension mods, how about yours? I'm enjoying the progression, keep it up bro!

Last edited by foreverdr1ft; 03-28-2016 at 12:55 AM. Reason: editing.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:34 AM
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
Does it count that I too have an S13 story? 1993 coupe. Swapped to 5 speed. KA drifted. Sold for 4300 cuz my wife said I had to sell it. Tried to find another one (without drift tax). Couldn't. Looked for S14's. Prices were in line with G35's. Bought one. Slammed it. Drifted it. Good times.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:29 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Awesome progression so far, looking forward to more! Share some pics of the s-chassis cars you had also because, why not

Old 04-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by foreverdr1ft
Brother, we must be long lost twins?!? I too started out with a S13 (coupe) automatic gettin' it sideways initially with the infamous open diff that I personally swapped the JDM front end with w/o the SR and eventually the 5 spd swap & j30 vlsd... Currently I too daily & drift my G coupe... No back seats (for weight saving purposes and to haul more wheels & tires). All of it is mostly suspension mods, how about yours? I'm enjoying the progression, keep it up bro!
My suspension is coilovers and adjustable arms. I'm shopping around for angle kits at the moment. I will either go with PBM or RAK FAT kit. I won't be adding power until I need it.

Originally Posted by VMRWheels
Awesome progression so far, looking forward to more! Share some pics of the s-chassis cars you had also because, why not
Will do!

Originally Posted by driftsucky
Does it count that I too have an S13 story? 1993 coupe. Swapped to 5 speed. KA drifted. Sold for 4300 cuz my wife said I had to sell it. Tried to find another one (without drift tax). Couldn't. Looked for S14's. Prices were in line with G35's. Bought one. Slammed it. Drifted it. Good times.
yea, 240s are getting pretty rare. That's the main reason I decided to drift the G.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:25 PM
I'll post the last 4 S chassis I've owned.

1991 240sx Hatch:

KA>SR20>VQ Your basic beat drift car 240. Ended up parting it out then selling it.

1994 240sx Vert:

The funnest car I've owned. Full suspension with new bushings, 5spd swapped, hands down the best 240 i've ever driven. It drove better than new and dropping the top on summer days were the best. Ended up selling it.

1989 240sx Hatch:

Got this as a virgin. 100% stock. I built the suspension, added angle, kept the interior, 5spd swapped it for daily use and eventually added the VQ. I ended up selling this car back in November. I should have kept it but I had too many cars. .

Right before I did the widebody and wheels. It was completely streetable with the VQ

Kouki G35 cluster installed after the VQ swap

A shot of the interior before the cluster. Bucket seat and steering wheel was about it. A shot of the engine bay with the VQ.

This is the picture right before I sold it. I stripped all my parts and put it back to stock. Sold it as a stock shell with widebody and VQ swap.

1998 S14 SE slicktop:

My favorite. Automatic, KA. ugly. I'm currently putting a VQ swap together before I do paint. The plan is to have this go through the BAR process to have a California legal 350sx. Once it's smog legal, I can do any CARB legal mods including vortech supercharger. This will stay a street car with occasional drifting just for the pictures. =)

Keeping it simple with K's front, K's rear w/ valances, K's Sides, Dmax roof spoiler, and K's wing. very basic, but it will stay clean. the 19's will be tucking once it's all done.

Standard 120k mile refreshed DE. Revup oil pump installed with new engine seals. This should be back together on tuesday when I pull the motordyne stuff off of the G and replace it with blox.

Another pic of the G. more updates coming soon.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
:O!!! Wow very nice!

Old 04-25-2016, 05:25 PM
I finally got some time to make progress. The valve covers were leaking so I decided to replace them with VQ Maxima covers. After some modification and paint they were ready to install. I decided to do a couple of things: deleted the plenum coolant lines and ditched the horrible motordyne 5/16 iso thermal spacer. okay, well its not horrible, but it is overpriced. Since my S14 has minimal hood clearance I decided to move it over to that VQ and get myself the Blox 1/2 spacer and OBX lower collector gasket. The top end power is needed for drifting. Both items cost less than half of the MD spacer kit. I couldn't be happier.

Untucked my soft wire tuck in case I need to service anything

Extended #6 coil pack plug and installed OBX collector gasket

pretty much back together. blox spacer installed and ditched the polished plenum stuff.

I wll take another pic of the engine bay once I remove the grounding kit and clean up the aluminum.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DEMoLITIoN

Love the Z32 wheels on there, but I think your front PS one was on backwards (from a former TTZ32 owner, here)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Drift Journey