ANOTHER successfull bezel painting.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can always paint your grille and buy a new front emblem. They're not that expensive. $35 at most.

Good job on the headlights.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice, those look good...

Old 06-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, you guys think it would lookg good on my IP, Ima do it this weekend, problaby do my grill also while im at it. I will post pics when done. Wish me luck lol

Old 06-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by The next best
Hmmm, you guys think it would look good on my IP, Ima do it this weekend, problaby do my grill also while im at it. I will post pics when done. Wish me luck lol
There are several IP's that have the headlights and grille done, and they look very good. IMO, the IP, BS, and DG benefit the most from the headlight/grille painting, followed closely by the Red variations. TB and OB not so much. I think it's a contrast thing. Haven't seen enough Desert Platinums with it, but I'd say that would be more like the first 3. I'm going to do my grille first since it's a lot easier than headlights.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:50 PM
^^^ whitch paint are you using? Are you going with Matte, or a chrome black?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:40 PM
^^^ whitch paint are you using? Are you going with Matte, or a chrome black?
I haven't decided yet, I want to see what's been used here. I definitely won't do Matte or a high gloss on the grille, so a semi-gloss or satin of some type. I don't know exactly what chrome black looks like, but it sounds like it's in the range of what I want. The grille will be a little shinier than the headlight housings, which will lean more towards the matte end of things. The wheels are going to be a silver, but I haven't finalized the paint mix I want to use for them yet.

The grille and headlights were always a "later this summer" mod, but in the last few days I've thought "why not just do it?". So I'm gathering supplies right now, sandpaper, sandable primer, spray can adapter, bondo, masking tape, all things I'll need for grille, headlights, and/or wheels. Paint's just about the last thing on the list.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:35 PM
^^ yeah in basically in the same boat as you, i want to start but i have no idea witch kind of black i want to go with. I need to see some pics.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Duplicolor Bumper Coating in black. A dark, matte black finish.

Buy a can and paint something with it. I love this color and the paint holds up great, especially for a rattle can job on grilles. I've done several grilles with this finish and they've all seem to take the abuse of daily driving very well.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:40 AM
I considered the bumper paint for it's durability and flexibility. Should take stone hits a little better than a harder finish paint. But I'm not sure how good it will look because I definitely don't want a flat finish. I need to see it with multiple clear coats before I go this route. But a good idea, thanks.

I'm also thinking about a layer or two of the Plasti Dip and then bumper paint on top of that. Stones will frickin' bounce off it it without leaving a mark. OK, maybe not, but it should hold up extremely well.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Back in SD**

Received 63 Likes on 8 Posts
Looking good! I'll be doing mine in a little bit. Just waiting for a spell of dryness. The 10 day forcast calls for rain just about everyday

Old 06-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
I considered the bumper paint for it's durability and flexibility. Should take stone hits a little better than a harder finish paint. But I'm not sure how good it will look because I definitely don't want a flat finish. I need to see it with multiple clear coats before I go this route. But a good idea, thanks.

I'm also thinking about a layer or two of the Plasti Dip and then bumper paint on top of that. Stones will frickin' bounce off it it without leaving a mark. OK, maybe not, but it should hold up extremely well.
The finish is what most call a "satin" finish. A dark dark black with a slight sheen to it so it's not a complete flat. I just redid my headlights with it a few weeks ago

Some examples

Old 06-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Wow, looks great papa. I thought I'd seen some closeups of yours before, but now that I know what paint you used, I think I'll go that route. It's not as flat as I thought it would be, and it's perfect for the headlights.

Damn, now I don't have any excuses! And I've got a long weekend coming up.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by G35papa
The finish is what most call a "satin" finish. A dark dark black with a slight sheen to it so it's not a complete flat. I just redid my headlights with it a few weeks ago
Woah! that looks pretty good, Im a novince when it comes down to painting stuff like headlights and grill, but im going with G35papa and Buckeyeinmi, satin finish it is. Long weekend for me too

G35Papa if you dont mind, you mind helping out a fellow brotha by PM'n me what paint you used for your headlights and grill to get that tight "satin" finish?
I already kind of know how im doing it, im following your DIY
Thanks

Hansel

Last edited by IPGSEDAN; 06-30-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Wow, looks great papa. I thought I'd seen some closeups of yours before, but now that I know what paint you used, I think I'll go that route. It's not as flat as I thought it would be, and it's perfect for the headlights.

Damn, now I don't have any excuses! And I've got a long weekend coming up.
Thanks....I TOLD YOU! lol jk You'll love it

Woah! that looks pretty good, Im a novince when it comes down to painting stuff like headlights and grill, but im going with G35papa and Buckeyeinmi, satin finish it is. Long weekend for me too

G35Papa if you dont mind, you mind helping out a fellow brotha by PM'n me what paint you used for your headlights and grill to get that tight "satin" finish?
I already kind of know how im doing it, im following your DIY
Thanks

Hansel
Sorry...I can't tell you. It's my trade secret and only one other person on this board knows and it has to stay that way...just buy like 4 different ones and settle for one of the colors.

jk! I already posted what I used a few threads up...."Duplicolor Bumper Coating in black". I use it for both headlights and grills.

Good luck guys. It's alot easier than it sounds/looks. Just follow the DIY and you can't go wrong

Old 07-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by G35papa
Sorry...I can't tell you. It's my trade secret and only one other person on this board knows and it has to stay that way...just buy like 4 different ones and settle for one of the colors.

jk! I already posted what I used a few threads up...."Duplicolor Bumper Coating in black". I use it for both headlights and grills.

Good luck guys. It's alot easier than it sounds/looks. Just follow the DIY and you can't go wrong
hahaha dang i was really thinking you were being serious.
im looking foward to doing it this weekend
thanks for all your help bro
What do i use as a primer base btw

Last edited by IPGSEDAN; 07-02-2009 at 03:13 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER successfull bezel painting.