My Car had a little plastic surgery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by speeddream
LookS awesome. Hey Mike, My car wasnt ready yesterday due to some minor touch ups needed on my car, though it should be ready today. I will head down there after midday.
you have PM

Old 07-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
nah... I considered it, but I dont want to deal with issues of chipping/peeling... the color is a bit darker than DG so the rubber strip doesnt stand out as much.
Good call, cause it will chip over time due to the amount of flexing the weatherstripping can go-thru

Old 07-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by godmans
Good call, cause it will chip over time due to the amount of flexing the weatherstripping can go-thru
over 2 years ago my weather strips were painted. no chipping here. it's actually hard plastic and doesn't flex much, if at all.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:12 PM
^^^mine is rubber, and pretty flexible... I contemplated removing it all together (hoping the paint in the recessed gap would be visible enough to look like there is no gap... it doesn’t look that way, the gap is as big or bigger than the rubber strip.

Anyway, I choose to keep the strip - but I've seen it painted and like how it looks, so that’s a good option for those that choose it.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by godmans
If cleaned properly and correct products ae used, it will be fine.

OCG35 thought you were going with "poop brown" paint?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by naughty240
If cleaned properly and correct products ae used, it will be fine.

OCG35 thought you were going with "poop brown" paint?
chickened out on several choices of blue... and poop brown... this grey does have tan hues to it though... maybe a smokey poop

Old 07-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
chickened out on several choices of blue... and poop brown... this grey does have tan hues to it though... maybe a smokey poop
Blue? haha I almost did the same.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by naughty240
Blue? haha I almost did the same.
There are some blues that I really like the looks of – but couldn’t wrap my head around the idea of them being on my sedan… I contemplated the Lexus ISF blue (called ultrasonic blue), but it was a little purple in day light and too dark (almost black) at night… I toyed with the idea of 370Z Monterey Blue, which is a great color but I don’t have the ballz to put it on my sedan… and the color I was soooooo close to getting, Mazda “Celestial Blue Mica” – its found on Mazda 3 (and probably others) – it is an amazing color! I saw a Mazda 3 on the fwy and thought “why the hell would someone paint a custom color on that stock car?” I looked it up and it’s a new Mazda color… the funny thing is I read some stuff in Mazda forums and many/most of them hate the color – they post pictures of Boy George with the Celestial Blue color.

I also considered GM Cyber GreyMetallic – found on Z06 and new Camero… it’s a great color, but its a little dark… I like the very fine blue metallic in that paint.

Anyway – I went with Porsche Meteor Grey Metallic… its kinda smokey and a bit darker than DG… it’s a good choice for me (not too far different from DG, but just enough to not be the same as anyone else, just the way I like it).

Old 07-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW! The bodywork is amazing and the G should have came like that stock. Any more additional plans for it? Good work nevertheless.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:02 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
okay... here's a quick rear...

Is it my eyes or does the taillight in the back right part of the trunk not match up on top? I thought the trunk might be slightly popped open, but the spoiler and the bottom of the taillight seem fine.

Originally Posted by codeflux
*cough* rear-end accident *cough*
Don't curse him like that. There have been a rash of "I wrecked my G' threads lately and I wouldn't want to see another one authored by OC.

In the end OC I admire your dedication to this project. You truly have a one of a kind G

Old 07-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Is it my eyes or does the taillight in the back right part of the trunk not match up on top? I thought the trunk might be slightly popped open, but the spoiler and the bottom of the taillight seem fine.
It does look that way slightly… the reason is – there isn’t a gap on the taillights like there is on the reverse light in the trunk… that’s the one flaw of this mod… the paint line follows the actual lens on the trunk, but there is no gap on the taillight (since it really isn’t a separate lens) – not sure if that explanation makes sense.

The fix would be to notch a gap with a dremel or hot knife or something – but it would be nearly impossible (probably not possibly at all) to get the line straight, especially with the lens on the car… I am considering pin striping (or airbrushing) a black line that runs in unison with the trunk lens gap. This is one thing I would have done different – somehow having a gap carved in prior to the molding…. Oh well, I’ll get it to look little more natural eventually… it’s a process – it already looks a ton better than it did before without being molded (for those that don’t know, the taillight mod isn’t new for me, just the molded top part to the quarter panel)

It used to look like this:

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
In the end OC I admire your dedication to this project. You truly have a one of a kind G
thanks for the kind words... the whole goal was to make it look subtlety different - kinda subliminally... from what I'm hearing (particularly from non sedan owners that arent as familiar with the car), I accomplished the goal.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by LyricallySick
WOW! The bodywork is amazing and the G should have came like that stock. Any more additional plans for it? Good work nevertheless.
thank you... and yes, I have some other things I'd like to do - one is cost prohibitive (right now), the other is more reasonably priced (but still expensive)... I'll do them eventually - but won’t say what they are until I'm ready to do them

Old 07-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
More pics please

Old 07-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Beebo
More pics please
window trim is body color

I will post good pics from photo shoot later...

Old 07-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good stuff

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Car had a little plastic surgery