Started my headlight retrofit today!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by xmysterx2000
Its that tight. I measured them and the inside of the housing is 2.5". Are the lenses 2.5" at the base of the lens? Without adding in the flange? Is that what you were trimming?
These are the ones I was talking about. But seems as though they would be the same size as the ones you posted. I will see how the 2.5" do and if they work at all.

EBAY Fog Lights

Thanks. I will let you know if I need any measurements. The aiming part is what worries me as well.
You have to cut/grind down the lip around the lense and then some in order for it to fit. You also have to sort of knotch one side of the lense. If you look at the inside of the turn signal bezel, you will see it comes in some closer to the OEM lense you cut out. Because of the thickness of the projector lense, you will need to grind it in on one side a bit. Hope this makes sense lol

The 2.5" can be made to fit but needs some work on the 03/04 headlights. I spent a good amount of time working on mine and winded up scratching one like I mentioned so I just gave up on them given the time I already spent on the one. If you can't get them to work and you want to go the route of the fog projector lense (I also used a smaller lense) hit me up. I have at least one untouched OEM turn signel bezel you can have and recut to the size of the fog projector. I'll look to see if I have the 2nd one. We can talk details about what I did if you go that route and need some direction.

I was thinking of painting the housing Ivory Pearl to match the car and painting the projector shrouds satin or matte black. Has anyone done this????????? If so can you post pics.... Thanks.

How do you think this would look????
I don't think any sedans have done it yet???.....I know no sedan with a retrofit has done it yet. I say go for it. Worst case you open them back up and repaint them

Old 03-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Papa
You have to cut/grind down the lip around the lense and then some in order for it to fit. You also have to sort of knotch one side of the lense. If you look at the inside of the turn signal bezel, you will see it comes in some closer to the OEM lense you cut out. Because of the thickness of the projector lense, you will need to grind it in on one side a bit. Hope this makes sense lol

The 2.5" can be made to fit but needs some work on the 03/04 headlights. I spent a good amount of time working on mine and winded up scratching one like I mentioned so I just gave up on them given the time I already spent on the one. If you can't get them to work and you want to go the route of the fog projector lense (I also used a smaller lense) hit me up. I have at least one untouched OEM turn signel bezel you can have and recut to the size of the fog projector. I'll look to see if I have the 2nd one. We can talk details about what I did if you go that route and need some direction.

I don't think any sedans have done it yet???.....I know no sedan with a retrofit has done it yet. I say go for it. Worst case you open them back up and repaint them

Thanks for all your help. I will let you know if, or better yet when I need help. lol

Old 03-27-2012, 05:16 PM

"If"

Old 04-03-2012, 03:40 PM
So it has come to this!!

Hahaha

Ok well I received my projectors. Im just waiting on some miscelaneous things now. I want to get everything fabricated prior to gettting the shrouds and all else painted. I went to mock mount the Mini Mori that I got for the top position and the threaded part is not long enough to reach past the back of the reflector.

Should I fabricate my own mounting bracket? Or has anyone used the stock reflector to mount them and how did you get it to work?

I am going to mount the Gatlin gun 2.0 in the top and bottom position. The bottom is not a problem. Its the top that is going to be tricky.

Oh and by the way those FXR lenses that I got for the blinker are way to big. I would say atleast 1/4" too big. I will save them and see if I need them later. I did find some fog projectors that I will orders and cut the lens out and use that. They have 2 1/4" lenses that I believe I will only have to do some slight modifications to. I will let you know as I go.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Received 297 Likes on 242 Posts
So it has..

Pics man come on noow

Old 04-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by *****-ah-saur
So it has..

Pics man come on noow
When I get home I will hook you up. No HOMO!!!! hahahahaha

Old 04-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Received 297 Likes on 242 Posts
Oo sounds nasty.
I mean cool

The following users liked this post:
ccc123pm (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Here are some pics.
I took the reflectors out.

Here are two of the projectors and halos and lenses and etc...

and here is how it sits right now.

I still have a few things to buy and some im waiting on.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts
in for progress.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Received 111 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Papa
Good for you for deciding to take this on yourself.

Marcus is right about the 2.5" lenses. You have to dremel down at least a 1/4" and it will still be a tight fit. I attempted it and gave up after scratching the lenses a few times. I ended up hacking a set of projector fog lights to do the clear lense mod

Good luck with the project
I have a new way of putting the clear lens in from the back so no other grinding of the oem shroud is involved besides the cutting out the orange. I started out with a 2.5" lens.

Goodluck with the project

Old 04-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Op, don't try to put the minis using the socket adapter. If you do the projector will be awfully low. Make your own mounting brackets for em.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by r1forever80
I have a new way of putting the clear lens in from the back so no other grinding of the oem shroud is involved besides the cutting out the orange. I started out with a 2.5" lens.

Share Stephen!

Congrats on the new long block too

Old 04-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by r1forever80

Can you fill me in. I would love to use these lenses that I have. They look good too.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
So it has come to this!!

Hahaha

Ok well I received my projectors. Im just waiting on some miscelaneous things now. I want to get everything fabricated prior to gettting the shrouds and all else painted. I went to mock mount the Mini Mori that I got for the top position and the threaded part is not long enough to reach past the back of the reflector.

Should I fabricate my own mounting bracket? Or has anyone used the stock reflector to mount them and how did you get it to work?

I am going to mount the Gatlin gun 2.0 in the top and bottom position. The bottom is not a problem. Its the top that is going to be tricky.

Oh and by the way those FXR lenses that I got for the blinker are way to big. I would say atleast 1/4" too big. I will save them and see if I need them later. I did find some fog projectors that I will orders and cut the lens out and use that. They have 2 1/4" lenses that I believe I will only have to do some slight modifications to. I will let you know as I go.
Im also working on mines also. Bought almost exactly what you have. The projectors didnt fit the top without cutting because the solenoid is hitting the reflector. so i decided to put it on the bottom. Even putting it on the bottom didn't help so much because the rubber gourmet was too thick. I trimmed the rubber piece and now it fits. I am almost done with my set.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Haha. It's easy guys just takes time and being careful. I use a bench grinder and belt sander to actually make the lens fit perfectly snug in the holder. It's such a tight fit you only need a ill bit of epoxy to hold it in. Just spin the lens on each wheel and slowly make the lens smaller but don't go to fast or the grinder will chip the lens

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Started my headlight retrofit today!!!!!!!!!!!