Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
In for progress and dyno numbers

Old 09-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Brett from IPP emailed me around noon today and my block has arrived unscathed! Now we play the waiting game...

Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm right up the road in the woodlands! If you need a hand Lmk, ill help where I can. Is love to see this beast when its all said and done!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Skyway,
Will they do a baseline dyno at the shop prior to shipping the engine back? I never had a car engine built... When I had my CBR engine crated and shipped to a builder, they dyno'd before blueprint and balance and then afterward... Just curious.. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Footballmania32
I'm right up the road in the woodlands! If you need a hand Lmk, ill help where I can. Is love to see this beast when its all said and done!
Thanks, but I don't live in texas

Originally Posted by ArkansasG35x
Hey Skyway,
Will they do a baseline dyno at the shop prior to shipping the engine back? I never had a car engine built... When I had my CBR engine crated and shipped to a builder, they dyno'd before blueprint and balance and then afterward... Just curious.. Thanks!
Thats a very good question. I will ask brett and let you know

Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
THat's so crazy looking

Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by D_Rek
THat's so crazy looking
What is? The engine coming out of the car?

Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
I will be going down this road also in a couple of years and will also be doing a high compression NA setup.

I'm subscribed as well

Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Update: I paid for everything I'm getting from IPP in full on friday.

Here's the breakdown:

Stage 1 N/A built shortblock - $2600
ceramic coating on pistons - $250
machining the block for HR head gasket - $0
shipping - $275
Total - $3125

I paid $215 to ship it to IPP, so the grand total for everything so far would be $3340. The only things left are gonna be miscellaneous things like gaskets, assembly lube, oil and filters, etc.

Arkansas, I completely forgot to ask brett about dyno'ing the block after they build it. I don't think they will considering I only bought a short block. They would have to bolt some heads and some accessories (timing components, water pump, oil pump, etc) to dyno it. It will be up to me to break in the engine when I install it.

The following users liked this post:
faiz23 (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
What are you planning on doing about timing components like guides, tensioner, vtc sprockets and timing chains. Also what about the heads and reshim them to ensure they are in spec and check the quality of the valves along with mating surface. Do you have any issues with your valve covers leaking or pooling oil in the spark plug tubes. Did you have any other issues aside from the oil consumption like noise, low compression, or loss of power on the old motor.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by faiz23
What are you planning on doing about timing components like guides, tensioner, vtc sprockets and timing chains. Also what about the heads and reshim them to ensure they are in spec and check the quality of the valves along with mating surface. Do you have any issues with your valve covers leaking or pooling oil in the spark plug tubes. Did you have any other issues aside from the oil consumption like noise, low compression, or loss of power on the old motor.
I'm planning on reusing all of the timing components, they all look fine.

The heads are going to be cleaned with a parts washer to flush all the oil and coolant passages. There are little pieces of copper (bearing material) everywhere in my heads. I will check clearances and make sure everything is within spec. Obviously if anything is damaged or out of spec, I will replace it.

The valves are fine, I'm gonna leave them alone.

I did have a leaky valve cover on the drivers side, but no oil pooling in the spark plug tubes. I'll get a new gasket and hopefully I won't have that problem again.

The only issue with the old motor was oil consumption. I never checked compression, but I assume it was ok. The engine had plenty of power and never made any abnormal noises.

The main reason I wanted to get a built shortbock is to have a better, stronger engine than oem. If I seat the rings properly, I shouldn't have any problems with oil consumption. The added power and drivability is a bonus

JaE35 (04-02-2013)
Old 10-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Update:
I emailed brett at ipp last week to get an update. All of my parts are out at the machine shop and my crank was in pretty bad shape. They are still waiting on the final word to see if it's even usable. If it's not, I'll have to get another one and ship it out to them.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Update:

I emailed Brett this morning and apparently my crank was no good. The machine shop had a spare so IPP gave the go ahead to use it. He said they don't know how much they want for the crank, but he's sure it will be reasonable as they have been working with that machine shop for years.

Good news though, my engine will be back at IPP this week

I pm'd a guy in the marketplace about some heads he has for sale. They are checked, polished and ready to go with cams, valves, etc. He wants $100 each + shipping. I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy them so I can build my heads and just swap them out later.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribe

Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Update:

The engine is in the car and running! So far it has 2500 miles with no problems. I will be uploading all the pics I have this week. Stay tuned!

617DG35x (04-02-2013)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Skyway's Build Thread