New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

New to the G35 experience..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the G35 experience..

Hey all.. just bought (finally) a G35 coupe and wanted to introduce myself. I've been waiting on a good deal for some time now and ran across one last week. The car is being shipped to me so I won't have it for another week or two.. but at least it's on it's way. I know it's a little risky, but I've had pretty good luck with buying/selling cars off the internet.
It's a 2004 and pretty basic. Has a couple extras but not much. I wanted it as a daily driver. I have a Porsche 944 which I'm using as a DD now but I wanted something more cushy (and faster..hehehe) for my 'ol fart azz. lol.
I've been reading the forums looking for the idiosyncrasies/problems with the G but haven't really seen anything that regularly goes out on these. They seem to hold up pretty well. It's pretty high mileage however I'm not too worried about it.. unless someone knows why I should be.. ???

Here's a pic of it. Take a look at the add and tell me if it's a decent deal.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats and welcome.....
That is a pretty decent price for an 04.......and it is appointed w/ many options as well.
As long as it wasn't in a wreck or a stolen recovery vehicle it should be all good.
The mileage is high, but if it was maintained it would not be a problem at all......
Post up some pics when you finally receive it.
Just a FYI, The brakes on the autos for 03-04 were notorious for wearing out very quickly. They even institued a 3yr 36,000 replacement warranty for the brake system.
If you need to replace them, I would suggest looking into an aftermarket set up so you don't need pads/rotor resurfacing/ new rotors(front) every 18,000 -25,000 miles....

Good luck

Old 01-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Well, it has a clean carfax (which means VERY little) but at least it would have an insurance hit on there if there was one. After that, who the heck knows. I'm getting it cheap enough that it wouldn't really bother me if I found body work that had been done. It looks so nice in the pictures that it makes me wonder if it wasn't repainted anyway. The pin stripe supports this thought. But... it looks nice and if it runs good, I'm happy. I paid $9800. In So. Cal. comparison.. that's a STEAL.

Thanks for the heads up on the brakes.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:17 PM
how much did you pay for it?

Old 01-26-2009, 06:07 PM
YOU GOT IT FOR $9,800.00!!! wow damn good find i just paid 14k for my 03 with 70k miles

Old 01-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by dann1313
YOU GOT IT FOR $9,800.00!!! wow damn good find i just paid 14k for my 03 with 70k miles
Thanks guys.

Jury is still out on how much of a 'deal' I got.. until I get it and inspect it.

Nonetheless.. It seems to look nice and going by the forums.. they hold up pretty well. If I can squeeze another 60k-70k mi out of it, I'll be happy.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Todd157k
Thanks guys.

Jury is still out on how much of a 'deal' I got.. until I get it and inspect it.

Nonetheless.. It seems to look nice and going by the forums.. they hold up pretty well. If I can squeeze another 60k-70k mi out of it, I'll be happy.
For that price at least if the inspection turns up something bad you can probably trade it in and get all your money back.

I bought my 03 G sedan at a repo auction for $10,400 last year and dealers were buying trades at $10,600

Old 01-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Hey, brother -- I just got a 2004 G35 myself, though I got the sedan. I've been staking the game on eBay for a couple of months. Pulled mine in for $8900. It's high mileage -- right under 100,000 -- and one-owner, but the owner was in the Midwest and so the whole exhaust system is pretty rusty. So far I am THRILLED with the beast. I went from a 103 hp Celica to this 250 hp G35, and I'm going to get in trouble quick. . .

My favorite feature is the HID headlights.

Having priced them for a couple months, I can tell you that $9800 is an excellent price. I just happened to do a little better. . .

Old 01-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Wow, that is a GOOD price, and it looks really clean. From what I read, 100k mi is about half of it's life.
If mine ever blows up.. I'll be talking to my vette buddies and dropping in a LS2/3 motor. muhahaha...

Old 01-27-2009, 11:23 AM
It's got a few superficial scars, but I'm happy to save a little $ for that matter. I have never had an "upscale" car before and I think I'm a little less paranoid since it's not immaculate.

The thing that I have to figure out, and what brought me to G35driver.com, is: can anything be done about the dismal radio that comes on this car? I had read before buying it that the radio was one of the two Consumer Reports "black dot" items on the G35 (along with the brakes), but was hoping I could just shell out a little more to buy a new stereo. The way the dash is configured, it doesn't look that easy . . .

Any wisdom from the upperclassmen?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by SRau
It's got a few superficial scars, but I'm happy to save a little $ for that matter. I have never had an "upscale" car before and I think I'm a little less paranoid since it's not immaculate.

The thing that I have to figure out, and what brought me to G35driver.com, is: can anything be done about the dismal radio that comes on this car? I had read before buying it that the radio was one of the two Consumer Reports "black dot" items on the G35 (along with the brakes), but was hoping I could just shell out a little more to buy a new stereo. The way the dash is configured, it doesn't look that easy . . .

Any wisdom from the upperclassmen?
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but there are dash kits that would allow you to put in an aftermarket headunit. In my experience, upgrading the HU is the best place to start if you want to have a better sound system.

Metra makes good kits for the G's (and other cars too), but I went ahead and bought a JDM Nissan double din kit. Ordered it from the guys at Riverside Infiniti.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by sen7277
Not to hijack the OP's thread. . .
Yeah, sorry Todd -- I didn't mean to jack the thread. I, like you, am new to the G35 experience. And I bet you'll have the same question about the stereo when you hear yours (if you haven't yet).

Did I mention mine came with a factory tape deck? A 2004!?! Ugh

Old 01-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by SRau
Yeah, sorry Todd -- I didn't mean to jack the thread. I, like you, am new to the G35 experience. And I bet you'll have the same question about the stereo when you hear yours (if you haven't yet).

Did I mention mine came with a factory tape deck? A 2004!?! Ugh
The factory stereo sounds alright (maybe poor compared to some luxury cars, but better than the average car for sure). I think the major problem is that it's not very reliable.

The good thing about the tape deck is that it's a more reliable way to connect an iPod using a cassette adapter than using an FM transmitter.

I plan to upgrade my HU after the OEM one dies. If you do upgrade take care to get one that will work with the steering wheel controls.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:40 PM
hijack.. smyjack. who cares? lol

I've been reading the Audio section all day on replacing the Bose (no highs, no lows,... that's Bose) radio system. Even Crutchfield has a kit for installing the double din nav/dvd units.
I doubt the stock stereo will last more than a month or two in my car. I've tossed many 'a bose systems. My vette bose system made it almost 3 months before it went to the attic.