New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Finally got her, been wanting it since High School!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 04:25 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
What did you pay? How many miles?

Old 03-02-2016, 05:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 Rev-Up 6MT
Originally Posted by danoman32
What did you pay? How many miles?
$14K - 105K Miles.
3 year up to 150K Warranty.

Can't wait to get her back, still in shop :/

Old 03-02-2016, 05:49 PM
G35 Rev-Up 6MT
Originally Posted by dillon_b12
Sounds like you might be in for some headaches dealing with Carmax. "Looking for a second opinion" sounds like "Looking for someone to say it's fine so they're off the hook." If they try to refuse the work after the second opinion, I'd try every way I could to make them take the car back.

Even if you get a new engine, this could have a negative impact on your Carfax if the dealership (or whoever does the work) reports it. Seeing a Carfax that reports a total engine replacement makes me wonder if the car was neglected, abused, etc... If you ever plan to sell the car, it's something to consider.
Just that knock is the issue, everything else is pristine. Whomever had it before me, kept it clean.. Ideally, I would like to keep the car well over 5-10 years, potentially doing FI in a few years.

Long enough anyway for me not to go bankrupt while finding myself a 2015+ GT500.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:05 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Jnovuse
$14K - 105K Miles.

holy shittt
14k for 105K miles!?!?

Old 03-02-2016, 06:41 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Thought the SAME THING.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
$14K - 105K Miles.

First, congrats and welcome to the G family.

Second, damn!!! you overpaid for a car with an engine knock. Its not uncommon for dealers/sellers to hide such problems when selling a car.

I have almost the same car as yours, but I got mine for $9500 and 115k miles. Location might affect price, but $14k is still a bit much.

Did you look it over in-depth before purchasing it?

Clear side markers are not OEM and usually a fair sign that the previous owner might have been the type to modify their vehicle. It's not really a red flag per se, but once you spot any modification, you need to be on the look out for others and make sure they weren't half-assed.
Not necessarily.

My 05 only had aftermarket headlights when I bought it; everything else was fully stock. And I intend to keep it that way since it is designed to run the best/longest in OEM condition and hold value as well. (I added clear corners in the front also just to make the car look cleaner, but that is such a suttle mod).

Of course, every car is different and mods can be reversed.

Didn't knock until I drove it home and it got nice and warm.

Still comes and goes intermittently. I think it might be the timing guide? But not sure.

Either way, the warranty and free 30 day replace anything warranty will fix it.

As mentioned before, hopefully I get a new motor out of it. some 30-60K pulled or re-manufactured would be nice.
Have you checked your oil level?

Mine started to have a slight knock after a few weeks, but I found out it was due to low oil level because of the OC issue. Once the oil level gets too low, the engine will run rough because the lack of oil. After I added a quart of oil, the noise went away on mine (and I proceeded to do an oil change the next day). So now I add a quart of oil in between oil changes and haven't heard the knocking since.

If its something worse in your case, well at least you have the warranty. Good luck.

Last edited by Justice06RR; 03-02-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
[QUOTE=Justice06RR;7047708

Not necessarily.

My 05 only had aftermarket headlights when I bought it; everything else was fully stock. And I intend to keep it that way since it is designed to run the best/longest in OEM condition and hold value as well. (I added clear corners in the front also just to make the car look cleaner, but that is such a suttle mod).

Of course, every car is different and mods can be reversed. [/QUOTE]

Your car only had aftermarket headlights when you bought it..

Like you said, mods can be reversed. And as I said earlier, it's not necessarily a bad thing so much as a reason to be thorough and check things over as much as possible. I'll more than likely be adding clear corners in the near future as well...

Jnovuse, did you get anything in writing from the Infiniti dealership? I'd try to get a report from them as well as the next place Carmax is going for the second opinion. It may come in handy if Carmax tries to screw you. For the price you paid with those miles, this car should be immaculate and in perfect running condition.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:51 AM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
That's what I hate about buying used vehicles: its always a gamble and you never know what deep dark secrets are lurking beneath the shiny paint.

The only way to avoid that is to get a used Certified vehicle, which narrows your options drastically.

Extended warranties add a layer of comfort and peace of mind. I highly recommend them if you can afford it.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:55 AM
G35 Rev-Up 6MT
Thumbs down

Bad news.

Copy of my Facebook post regarding this..

Well... Here is the horror story 💔..

Two days after getting the vehicle, I noticed a loud knock in the engine..
I took it back to Carmax and asked them to fix it, they said, "No problem."

After a week of him-hawing around, Carmax told me the car needs a new engine!

"That's ok, just put a new one in, and we'll be good to go." I said, excited that I could get even more years out of her with a newer motor.

"We won't do it. The cost is more than the value of the vehicle, and it will become a huge liability for us to pay. Since the car is within the grace period, we will just place you in a new vehicle."

Not at all what I wanted.. 💔

So, with high spirits I searched high and low at Carmax for a viable replacement. Alas, there are no vehicles with the features, color, and transmission I desire.

So after all that excitement, getting the exact car I wanted, I have to let her go. 😢

Ugh..............
Just really sucks. I was looking forward to having the car. I will have to wait until a better deal comes around I guess.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Banned
Bad news.

Just really sucks. I was looking forward to having the car. I will have to wait until a better deal comes around I guess.
more will come around.
thank God they made it right and didnt leave you stranded with the issue.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Tons of better deals around, especially along the west coast.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bad news.

It's probably not worth pursuing at this point, but I have no clue what they are talking about when they say the engine is worth more than the car...

http://www.enginehaus.com/engines/20...dohc-v6-engine

Old 03-03-2016, 01:20 PM
G35 Rev-Up 6MT
It's probably not worth pursuing at this point, but I have no clue what they are talking about when they say the engine is worth more than the car...

http://www.enginehaus.com/engines/20...dohc-v6-engine
Their reasoning was, they would have to warranty the work, and then other problems might crop up, and it would be related to that and cost them more.

It's simply numbers to them, the would have lost heavily on the warranty.

I paid 2.4G for the extended warranty, and just to open the bottom end, not even fix anything, Infiniti dealer was going to charge them 10 hours labor, at $150 per hour.

They would have lost money on the replacement. Simple as that, so they opted out.

Sucks.. but maybe it's for the best. I can put the monthly payments away and IDK, invest in retirement or something haha.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Banned
but my question is though...you DID have a warranty. and they did sell you the car like that.

technically they should be fixing the damn thing.
no?

Old 03-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
If he causes a fuss they would have to. I would take this as a win. You paid to much for the car with that mileage. There are better deals to be made lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally got her, been wanting it since High School!