New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Finally got her, been wanting it since High School!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 02:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 Rev-Up 6MT
Thumbs up Finally got her, been wanting it since High School!

After years of waiting... I finally found my G-Ride...

2005 Infiniti G35 6MT, 100% OEM.

...and I can't WAIT to keep her STOCK and drive her moderately. (Gotta love that 3 year warranty!)

(Thank God too, she's in the shop for engine knock . Hopefully they drop a new motor in her. )

They didn't let me keep the bow.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Why buy a car with engine knock though?

Old 02-25-2016, 02:59 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
I would like to know that as well

Old 02-25-2016, 04:50 PM
G35 Rev-Up 6MT
Didn't knock until I drove it home and it got nice and warm.

Still comes and goes intermittently. I think it might be the timing guide? But not sure.

Either way, the warranty and free 30 day replace anything warranty will fix it.

As mentioned before, hopefully I get a new motor out of it. some 30-60K pulled or re-manufactured would be nice.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jnovuse
Didn't knock until I drove it home and it got nice and warm.

Still comes and goes intermittently. I think it might be the timing guide? But not sure.

Either way, the warranty and free 30 day replace anything warranty will fix it.

As mentioned before, hopefully I get a new motor out of it. some 30-60K pulled or re-manufactured would be nice.
Did you look it over in-depth before purchasing it?

Clear side markers are not OEM and usually a fair sign that the previous owner might have been the type to modify their vehicle. It's not really a red flag per se, but once you spot any modification, you need to be on the look out for others and make sure they weren't half-assed.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:09 PM
G35 Rev-Up 6MT
Originally Posted by dillon_b12
Did you look it over in-depth before purchasing it?

Clear side markers are not OEM and usually a fair sign that the previous owner might have been the type to modify their vehicle. It's not really a red flag per se, but once you spot any modification, you need to be on the look out for others and make sure they weren't half-assed.
I went through with a notepad and wrote down every detail I wanted them to address/fix. I get new door hold-open mechanisms, and trunk lifts.

Whomever had it before me, put in LED lights everywhere (white bright ones) looks great. Based on all that I was able to find, the person before just did lighting upgrades. Maybe they removed performance parts, but I noticed I do have the standard G35 intake tube, factory air intake, headers, cats, y-pipe, exhuast, and factory bose cd player. If they swapped it all back to stock, that doesn't bother me. Carmax is fixing the motor either way.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if there were minor upgrades I have not found yet. It's quiet and smooth, only bother I have is it sounds like a diesel with that knock.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:53 PM
Given that it has warranty, I would have them fix it ASAP.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:15 PM
G35 Rev-Up 6MT
Originally Posted by Jusseth
Given that it has warranty, I would have them fix it ASAP.
Carmax can't find any issue, they say they can't duplicate the problem. They offered to send it to Infiniti, and take care of 100% of the cost. So I am having them do that.

Listen to this though, ever hear a VQ35 Diesel?

Old 02-25-2016, 10:55 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
I went through with a notepad and wrote down every detail I wanted them to address/fix. I get new door hold-open mechanisms, and trunk lifts.

Whomever had it before me, put in LED lights everywhere (white bright ones) looks great. Based on all that I was able to find, the person before just did lighting upgrades. Maybe they removed performance parts, but I noticed I do have the standard G35 intake tube, factory air intake, headers, cats, y-pipe, exhuast, and factory bose cd player. If they swapped it all back to stock, that doesn't bother me. Carmax is fixing the motor either way.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if there were minor upgrades I have not found yet. It's quiet and smooth, only bother I have is it sounds like a diesel with that knock.
It's a very popular practice (because aftermarket parts are expensive and very easy to sell if they're quality AND a stock car fetches more money than a modded car so you win two ways when selling) to demod the car. Like was said before, even one mod could be a clue as to the cars previous life.

I hope it all works out for you, but that engine sounds horrible. It is in fact not rare tho; I've heard many Gs with that diesel sound. Thank goodness for that warranty. If there's an option to return if the problem is not solved I would take that option and continue shopping

Old 02-25-2016, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may seem out of left field but have you checked the wear on your accessory belts? Mine had the same sort of ticking noise and a few weeks later the smaller belt was in half. Check and see if they are worn down maybe that's your issue. Once I got new belts its quiet as can be again

Old 02-26-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks beautiful, I love those cars in silver, but that knock is not cool. Does it speed up with engine rpms and get louder?

Old 02-26-2016, 12:48 PM
G35 Rev-Up 6MT
Originally Posted by paladin1001
It looks beautiful, I love those cars in silver, but that knock is not cool. Does it speed up with engine rpms and get louder?
It does go faster with engine RPM.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:18 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase, the G looks great. I hope the troubles aren't ruining your overall enjoyment of the vehicle. Wishing you a short wait, keep us posted on the updates.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:59 PM
G35 Rev-Up 6MT
Originally Posted by carid
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase, the G looks great. I hope the troubles aren't ruining your overall enjoyment of the vehicle. Wishing you a short wait, keep us posted on the updates.
Thank you.

Infiniti said they found a knock in the bottom end, wanted to charge Carmax 10 hours labor to open it up and look at it.

Carmax declined, and is looking for a second opinion. HOWEVER if the opinion is verified they say, then Infiniti will be the one to do the work.

So, for now, I have a crappy rental but I may get a new engine out of it, especially if its rod bearings or something similar.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:23 PM
Thank you.

Infiniti said they found a knock in the bottom end, wanted to charge Carmax 10 hours labor to open it up and look at it.

Carmax declined, and is looking for a second opinion. HOWEVER if the opinion is verified they say, then Infiniti will be the one to do the work.

So, for now, I have a crappy rental but I may get a new engine out of it, especially if its rod bearings or something similar.
Sounds like you might be in for some headaches dealing with Carmax. "Looking for a second opinion" sounds like "Looking for someone to say it's fine so they're off the hook." If they try to refuse the work after the second opinion, I'd try every way I could to make them take the car back.

Even if you get a new engine, this could have a negative impact on your Carfax if the dealership (or whoever does the work) reports it. Seeing a Carfax that reports a total engine replacement makes me wonder if the car was neglected, abused, etc... If you ever plan to sell the car, it's something to consider.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally got her, been wanting it since High School!