New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Smudge801 saying hi

Old 06-19-2019, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35X
Smudge801 saying hi

Just joined after buying an 08 G35X. I had a great experience with an 03 G35 sedan that has been in the family for about 7 years. Drove it from pittsburgh here to North Texas as it turned 226K miles. My son has it back trying to solve some electronic issues. My "new" 08 is great except for noise that seems to point to control arms/bushings. Any advice on that or any other heads up will be appreciated.

Last edited by smudge801; 06-19-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:21 PM
BANNED!!!
Received 823 Likes on 757 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you haven't had it aligned yet I'd start there, tell them during scheduling that you suspect there might be worn components and they will look for them. Other than that just get the car caught up on all the fluid changes. Don't have Nissan do the power steering flush just use a turkey baster (or gear oil pump if you have one around from filling differentials) and suck out the PS reservoir and refill it with fresh fluid, I usually do that every oil change, much easier and generally swaps the same amount of fluid over the scheduled interval.

Nice clean looking car though, any plans for modifications? The HR motor is a beast with a long-tube cold air intake, exhaust, and tune.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:28 PM
G35X
Thanks for the tips. I'd already planned to see an alignment shop tomorrow. As for modifications, no plans there. I'm 72 and beyond any DIY. Not knowledgeable enough anyway. Just want reliable transportation. The enjlyment of of the G35 is a bonus to that.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:47 PM
BANNED!!!
Received 823 Likes on 757 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Well it's a fantastic platform that's for sure but just a word of advice, these vehicle are built on a sports car platform (Nissan 350Z/370Z) and the suspension components will wear out quicker because it's a multi-link suspension in both the front and rear. The ride quality and handling are unmatched from anything outside of pure sports cars but they have 2-3x as many moving parts (mostly bushings) that wear out and keeping up on these components is the key to maintaining ride quality. It's a great chassis but does require extra maintenance/repairs.

Was your vehicle involved in a frontal collision? It might be just a trick of the light but the color match seems just a slight bit "off" on the bumper section, however I'm only looking at a thumbnail photo of the car.

I strongly recommend you have the exterior fully detailed, including a CLAY BAR. If you're unfamilliar with the process a detailer will wash the vehicle then go over the entire exterior with a specially designed clay bar that will pull out any bits of abrasive microscopic material that gets embedded in the clear coat. This is necessary to keep the clear coat in pristine condition because over the years that debris will oxidize/rust and begin to lift up small sections of the clear, then it starts to peel. A clay bar treatment once a year followed with quality wax (which fills those microscopic holes/pits/etc) will keep your car looking pristine for decades to come.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:49 PM
G35X
More good advice. Thanks again.

I don't detect a paint mismatch and the Carfax was clean of any incident.

The clay bar treatment seems a worthwhile investment.