New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

2 major problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bone stock
2 major problems

Hello I am new to the forum and own a 2003 350z wich has a g35 engine on it from a previous owner. It is my first car and I have two issues. I see light white smoke coming out of my engine bay wich may be caused by oil ontop of the exhaust system ,oil is good and even other fluid is too. It mostly comes out of the back of the engine . I also have a weird ticking noise when decelerating that just happened this morning; I am no mechanic nor have experience and leaving it at a shop is a no because its my daily driver. Any ideas why it happens?? I appreciate the help.(Update) the ticking noise comes from beneath the car behind the engine and it didn't happen alot,but now it happens when going slow or being in gear when in traffic I do not hear it when going any faster than 15 and when I park it sometimes it ticks sometimes it doesn't. I've read that its common with high mileage z's (193,797 miles on mine) Any advice???

Last edited by Datboiwithda350; 08-29-2022 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:00 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The smoke is probably a leaking valve cover. Get a telescoping inspection mirror and a good flashlight and look around for where it's coming from.

As for the ticking, check your oil level again to make sure it's good. Is the ticking coming from the engine area?

Old 07-22-2022, 02:52 PM
Bone stock
Originally Posted by cleric670
The smoke is probably a leaking valve cover. Get a telescoping inspection mirror and a good flashlight and look around for where it's coming from.

As for the ticking, check your oil level again to make sure it's good. Is the ticking coming from the engine area?

I replaced the valve cover gaskets that came from z1 motorsports and it still does it. I had a oil change about 4 days ago so it should be good. The ticking was around the location of the engine bay but I do not know precisely.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:35 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The frequency of your oil change has literally nothing to do with how much oil is in the crankcase.

I can count over a dozen times I have seen a lube shop buy an engine because they forgot to add oil to the customers car before letting them drive off. It's even more common for them to only throw in a couple quarts because the 16 year old running the pump wasn't watching the counter correctly, or he just didn't give a ****.

It's been literally dozens upon dozens of times that I've checked someone's oil and it wasn't even on the dipstick and they just assumed it was ok because they just got an oil change.

They could have damaged the oil filter gasket and it's pushing a little oil.

They could have cross threaded your drain plug (this is so hilariously common it's pathetic and the number 1 reason I refuse to let anyone do my oil changes) and there's a little leak that you might not be aware of.

ALWAYS check your own oil and never assume that a minimum wage entry level lube tech knows what they're doing.

As for the leak, the next culprit would be the o-ring on the cam sensor. You can inspect this easily with a telescoping inspection mirror as well. The trick to using an inspection mirror, shine a flashlight at the mirror, the light will reflect off onto the surface you're trying to inspect.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:44 PM
Bone stock
Originally Posted by cleric670
The frequency of your oil change has literally nothing to do with how much oil is in the crankcase.

I can count over a dozen times I have seen a lube shop buy an engine because they forgot to add oil to the customers car before letting them drive off. It's even more common for them to only throw in a couple quarts because the 16 year old running the pump wasn't watching the counter correctly, or he just didn't give a ****.

It's been literally dozens upon dozens of times that I've checked someone's oil and it wasn't even on the dipstick and they just assumed it was ok because they just got an oil change.

They could have damaged the oil filter gasket and it's pushing a little oil.

They could have cross threaded your drain plug (this is so hilariously common it's pathetic and the number 1 reason I refuse to let anyone do my oil changes) and there's a little leak that you might not be aware of.

ALWAYS check your own oil and never assume that a minimum wage entry level lube tech knows what they're doing.

As for the leak, the next culprit would be the o-ring on the cam sensor. You can inspect this easily with a telescoping inspection mirror as well. The trick to using an inspection mirror, shine a flashlight at the mirror, the light will reflect off onto the surface you're trying to inspect.

Sorry for not answering as life gets in the way,I have noticed less smoke coming out of the engine bay when I check the oil levels and if it's low I add a little more. It might be the o ring in the camshaft sensor I will check it when I have time and replace it. If its not that im sending my car to be squished (jk) . I appreciate the advice