New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

First time owning a new car: When to get the first oil change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time owning a new car: When to get the first oil change?

I was wondering after how many miles you should go in to get your first oil change? I heard it was 500 miles, is that true?

BTW, the oil dipstick is a monster to get out....

Old 03-23-2006, 11:25 PM
If you consult the owner's manual as well as the general consensus is that 3,000 - 5,000 miles is how much you should drive before your first oil change. However, at that point it's highly recommended that you switch over to synthetic oil at which point you can change oil at larger intervals. Hope this helps some.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I was told not to change to synthetic oil because of the thickness of it. The service manager told me Infiniti motors have smaller holes (can't remember exact wording he used) and it since synthetic oil is thicker it isn't really recommended. He also told me the cylinders are coated differently than other engines and the G will use oil, very small amounts and usually not noticable, like burning it or anything but it does use oil and not to be alarmed. He said since you will be adding oil every 3,000 miles or so anyway it's cheaper just to use regular oil. Now I'm no expert and I'm just repeating what I was told. Heck I won't even have my car until the end of May, I just had the oil question on my list when I ordered my car.
Lisa

Old 03-24-2006, 01:23 AM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
change your oil after the breakin, 1200-1500 miles. lots of people have seen metal filament in their oil at that point. google bob the oil guy and you'll see some similar info.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by (>")> G35
I was wondering after how many miles you should go in to get your first oil change? I heard it was 500 miles, is that true?

BTW, the oil dipstick is a monster to get out....
And its even worse when you try to that thing back it

I do my first oil change on all of my car but M3 at 5~700 miles range, it might not be a necessitate but just for my own peace of mind, long ago, my co-worker told me he do first oil change on the new car/engine at 500 miles just to get the metallic shavings out, I vaule his words when comes to engines, he used to work for GM on the engine developing department and he have been building his own engine for his hotrods since early 90's.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by G-Ticket
I was told not to change to synthetic oil because of the thickness of it. The service manager told me Infiniti motors have smaller holes (can't remember exact wording he used) and it since synthetic oil is thicker it isn't really recommended. He also told me the cylinders are coated differently than other engines and the G will use oil, very small amounts and usually not noticable, like burning it or anything but it does use oil and not to be alarmed. He said since you will be adding oil every 3,000 miles or so anyway it's cheaper just to use regular oil. Now I'm no expert and I'm just repeating what I was told. Heck I won't even have my car until the end of May, I just had the oil question on my list when I ordered my car.
Lisa
What this service manager is saying doesn't make sense. Oil thickness or viscosity is formulated to specific grades (5w30, 10w30, etc) during production. If it is "thicker", it would simply be of a different grade. If anything, synthetic is better because there is more consistency of the formulation.

I speculate that the service manager might not want to have to deal w/ people requesting synthetic oil when they are getting a change there?

Old 03-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Switching to synthetic means fewer oil changes which is less money to the dealership if you get it done there. That service manager is full of BS.