NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

So close to a crash...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So close to a crash...

Okay, so I was on the Southern State Pkwy westbound headed toward the Belt Pkwy a few weeks ago. It was around 11 at night and I was racing a TL. We we were going back and forth, and he was ahead of me for a little. We came upon the part where the SSP splits off into the Belt and the Cross Island. Now this is a blind curve. We were each doing 100+ coming around the curve since the roads were empty. Or so we thought. Dead ahead was a WALL of traffic.

We hit the brakes HARD (we had VERY little stopping space). Neither car would've stopped in time. He swerved his TL up onto the grass. As for me, I had no space to go. There were two lanes. I pulled my car hard to the right. THe wheels had stopped spinning but the car was still skidding. A car in the right lane swerved to give me some space to stop. I heard minor crashes and dings, but the car came to a full stop a few inches behind another car - and 3 more cars behind me came to screeching stops. My car was at a 45 degree angle. Needless to say, I had probably pissed off a bunch of people so I cut across the divider and jumped on the Cross Island and hauled *** out of there. I pulled off the highway to inspect my car, only to notice that there was not a SCRATCH on the car. I could not BELIEVE how lucky I got. Someone else must've gotten their car damaged (minorly thankfully) that night.

I don't know what happened to the TL guy.

I obviously DO feel bad about what happened, and it made me pull off the aggressive driving some since I don't want to be responsible for anyone getting hurt on account of me. I'm just glad it didn't happen that night. Wake up call for me.

Anyway moving on - my point to this long post if anyone got this far - I have an '05 G35X sedan (pretty much all stock), and I have 2 questions:

1. Could I have damaged anything in the car in stopping so quickly?
2. Would it be worth upgrading my tires/brake combo to get better performance and handling?
3. If number 2 is yes, and cost weren't an issue...what would be a good buy?
4. And lastly, if number 3 applies, where would be a good place in the NY area to get everything installed?

Old 09-13-2006, 01:09 AM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
So your the weak bisch that almost got me killed.
I was headed to Bklyn when you guys passed me.
Almost crashed into the lady in front of me and the guy from behind almost hit.
The guy next to me was tugging at the wheel trying to control his ****.
Next time do it around 3am or take it to the track where there are less people.
I will tell you one thing alot of people were pissed including me

Last edited by Glex25; 09-13-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
it's not worth racing on public streets. it happened to me when it was 6am and my boy and i were in his civic when we were racing a car and the car tapped the front of our bumper spinning us around going 100mph into the guardrail. luckily i only came out with a few scratches but passing that part right on the SSP just east of the meadowbrook gets me all shook up still. you're lucky you're able to post on here and not from a hospital bed

Old 09-13-2006, 09:40 AM
it amazes me that even after so many stories of people dying that get posted on forums, not to mention news report after news report of deaths/accidents on LI due to street racing that i still see posts like this.

[rant]upgrading your setup should be done because you want better performance when your driving under normal circumstances, not because you need to stop on a dime because you're recklessly doing 100mph racing another car. for the sake of others, keep that mentality at the track. it would really suck to find out another member of this forum and their family had something tragic happen because of your actions. [/rant]

Old 09-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tkman00
it amazes me that even after so many stories of people dying that get posted on forums, not to mention news report after news report of deaths/accidents on LI due to street racing that i still see posts like this.

[rant]upgrading your setup should be done because you want better performance when your driving under normal circumstances, not because you need to stop on a dime because you're recklessly doing 100mph racing another car. for the sake of others, keep that mentality at the track. it would really suck to find out another member of this forum and their family had something tragic happen because of your actions. [/rant]

You should see ^^^ guys homemade street racing videos.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Hey who saw the news about that accord that flew into a second floor of a house?
Wasn't in LI?
I heard he was gooing like 100MPH.
Anyone see the distance from the dirt mound to the actual house.
I think that car had wings cause that was far.

http://www.nydailynews.com

Article Titled "Car Goes Airborne"

People need to learn a little restraint.
I know we all done our boneheaded moves before.
All I ask is that people learn from them and mature a little bit.
If you can't see a mile ahead of you then don't be doing dumb ****.

Last edited by Glex25; 09-13-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you'll get yours someday dude. think before you act because a little race with another douchebag might land your *** in jail and you pretty little car you're so proud of and worked so hard to get, is going to end up in a junkyard. i just pray that if you do cause a wreck (and likely will) and someone gets hurt or killed, you're man enough to stick around and admit to the cops you were driving stupid. don't haul *** like you just did when there wasn't a wreck.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
So let me get this straight....two slow @ss cars, ricer racing at 100mph around a blind turn, you guys cause an accident, and then flee the scene...sound about right?

nice...

Old 09-13-2006, 11:39 AM
First of all, it didn't happen yesterday, it happened a few weeks ago. Secondly, I am not in any way condoning what i did at all. I do regret it, and I did learn from the experience. I am glad it did not have to be a life-altering experience for me to learn from it. I am sure everyone on this board has at some point or another did something dumb (whether it be on the road or off) only to come out better and learn from the mistake. Had anything more serious have happened, I would not have left the scene. I did what I felt was best at the time because seeing how nothing had happened to me, there was not much I could've done by standing around other than probably make the situation worse since all I really did was upset everyone.
My questions now were the 4 I had posted above. I posted the background story for 2 reasons; 1 was to better understand why I was asking what I was, and 2 was that maybe someone might read it and think twice before they make the same mistake i did.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:49 AM

lol ill just say thank god ur safe..man and think b4 i hit the gas...i plan out my route b4 i step on it =0)

Old 09-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation

Lucky you didn't end up like this. That was my baby before the G-Coupe. I got hit by a drunk driver who raing some other guy to get to their destinations.

But to answer your question yes the brake and tire upgrade are well worth it because once breaks heat up from high speeds they do not like to stop especially on the TL's. I used to own one and would occasionally beat on it.

Attached Thumbnails So close to a crash...-hpim0118-web.jpg   So close to a crash...-hpim0119-web.jpg   So close to a crash...-hpim0115-web.jpg   So close to a crash...-tha-ghost-wow-web.jpg   So close to a crash...-hpim0114-web.jpg  

Old 09-15-2006, 08:15 AM
Unfortunetely, people can yell and scream at them all they want, but it will not be until they reach a bad experiance first hand that they will learn.

its just the unfortunate truth about it. Just pray to god that when it does happen, no one is hurt.

what do they say?....its not if it happens, its when

Last edited by Neal376; 09-15-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:37 AM
i don't care if ur racing and you accidently kill yourself.. you're an adult and obiously you're going to do what you're going to do..

but how destroyed would you be if some d1ckhead killed your mother, sister your wife.. or your child.. think about THAT before you go out to play.

i know it won't stop anyone- but if anyone were to hurt my wife, my sister or my mother, ud better f-ing hope you die in the crash// cuz there won't be any cops... if u get me- not kidding

i like having fun in our cars too, just be SMART about it

Old 09-15-2006, 12:39 PM
anyways, that turn on the SSP is pretty ****ed up. theres a pothole in the left lane over there that always gets me

Old 09-15-2006, 05:48 PM
G SQUAD
Originally Posted by Hi-Tech_G
Lucky you didn't end up like this. That was my baby before the G-Coupe. I got hit by a drunk driver who raing some other guy to get to their destinations.

But to answer your question yes the brake and tire upgrade are well worth it because once breaks heat up from high speeds they do not like to stop especially on the TL's. I used to own one and would occasionally beat on it.

Damn that was a real clean looking civic.Sucks man and drunk driving by far one of the worst things you can do in my opinion.

-Vin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So close to a crash...